Protein

Options
jaga13
jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
Mfp gives me a goal of 62 grams of protein per day. I'm 133 lbs. does that seem low?

Also, most days I struggle with even achieving that amount of protein. I think my diary is open if you want to take a look. I'm not a vegetarian but just don't like to eat a lot of meat (usually a small portion at dinner but not every day ). Any ideas How to increase protein without increasing fat or calories? I'm only 4'11 so mfp has me at 1250 calories to lose .5 lbs (which is working). I usually exercise my way up to around 1400 calories intake

Replies

• glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That is the FDA recommendation I'm pretty sure. A lot of people think that's pretty low. I try to eat 30% of my calories from protein, but it can be hard. I also don't like meat too much. My staples are eggs, cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, and whey protein concentrate or isolate. I get the unflavored kind and put it in the blender with some frozen fruit and water or almond milk. Yum. And don't worry about fat too much. You need some in your diet and it helps keep you feeling full. Especially when you eat it with protein :)
  • jaga13
    Options
    Thank you
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I look at protein as a minimum, but have customized mine so it's higher. I think I have 35/35/30 right now with protein being 35 percent. You can do that here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Many proteins, especially the portable kinds, come with fat. Embrace the fat (in proportion). Do you like eggs? Egg whites if you are strict with fats. Then there are cheeses, beans, tofu.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I do not eat meat, and I also never get enough protein. I also don't know how much to worry about it...? I cannot get near yogurt without a gag reflex. Nuts are very very caloric; I drink a protein shake each day (16g. protein), have beans, a wide variety of vegetables, eggs & tofu occasionally, seafood once or twice a week - but I have never met the protein goal. Thanks for posting the thread.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    There are also some veggies that are higher in protein. I think brussel sprouts might be one of them? And peas...
  • jaga13
    Options
    Would anyone mind looking my diary for today? I pre-log. I had 2 eggs and 1 egg white this morning (and veggies). Lunch includes seeds and greek yogurt (and fruit/vegggies). Dinner has beans (and veggies). Snack has nuts. Yet it's still saying I'm not hitting my protein goal. I'm not sure what else I should add?

I did realize last night that my protein goal evidently changes each day. I assume MFP looks at my total calorie intake and determines a goal in grams based on a percetage of that days' entire intake (so that would vary depending on exactly how much food I eat each day).
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've just started to up my Protein actually.
    As well as eating Meat, i'm eating more Tuna, Salmon and Mackerel....plus i've started to eat Protein Bars (as my Sweet Treat).
    The 'Trek Flapjack' ones are delicious!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Would anyone mind looking my diary for today? I pre-log. I had 2 eggs and 1 egg white this morning (and veggies). Lunch includes seeds and greek yogurt (and fruit/vegggies). Dinner has beans (and veggies). Snack has nuts. Yet it's still saying I'm not hitting my protein goal. I'm not sure what else I should add?

I did realize last night that my protein goal evidently changes each day. I assume MFP looks at my total calorie intake and determines a goal in grams based on a percetage of that days' entire intake (so that would vary depending on exactly how much food I eat each day).

You need to find some heavier hitting proteins. My go to's are fish, chicken and turkey. If you can't eat those then you may want to look at a protein bar/shake. Quest bars are good low calorie and high protein sources but are fairly processed if you care about that at all. There are numerous vegan protein powders out there as well.

Only way to know if you are getting enough protein is to talk with a dietitian.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Because of my personal experience, I'm bullish when it comes to protein. I don't want anyone to suffer unintended side-effects. @jaga13 , if I were you I'd figure out how many GRAMS your minimum is and if you reach that target, call it a good day. Another solution might be a protein shake in the evening if you had a bad protein day.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I eat Dean's 1% cottage cheese it has 90 cals and 12g of protein, Dannon Light and Fit greek yogurt has 80 cals and 12g of protein, Weight watcher light string cheese 50 cals and 6g protein...you can always go the protein bar or protein drink route as well just keep an eye on calories and sugar because some are high in one or both of those. I haven't used either one in several months but I like the Pure Protein chocolate peanut butter bars which have 200 cals and 20g protein.
  • jaga13
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Because of my personal experience, I'm bullish when it comes to protein. I don't want anyone to suffer unintended side-effects. @jaga13 , if I were you I'd figure out how many GRAMS your minimum is and if you reach that target, call it a good day. Another solution might be a protein shake in the evening if you had a bad protein day.

How can I figure out how many grams I need? MFP changes this every day according to my nutrition goals.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You have your base number, right? Look it up first thing in the morning. That will give you the number of GRAMS minimum. Write that down. As the number goes up during the day, check the number of GRAMS (not percentage) and if you have met the minimum, don't worry if you go under.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    An alternative is to turn off the add exercise feature.
  • Agannon0728
    Agannon0728 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a 10-1 ratio of calorie to protein. It makes me full longer and do not ever seem to be hungry.
  • jaga13
    Options
    OK, so I should just stick with the 62 grams on my home goal page, and not worry about the daily goal (this is also in grams, not just %, but I noticed it changes every day). Still, some days I struggle with even hitting 62 grams.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to swap my daily dessert for a protein bar (cliche, I know). Balance bars are my favorite. Around 200 calories, 15g of protein in each one and they taste amazing. Perfect after dinner snack.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat and hit an average of 120g of protein daily (granted, on a much higher calorie allowance). Feel free to look through my diary for ideas if you'd like. My go-tos are Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, beans and milk. I do supplement with Quest bars and protein powder, but I still get 80g or so from food every day. The trick, for me, is to prioritize protein. I pre-log, so I fill in my protein-containing foods first and then fill in everything else around them -- I only get to eat other "fun" things if I've come reasonably close to hitting my protein goal.
  • jaga13
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I don't eat meat and hit an average of 120g of protein daily (granted, on a much higher calorie allowance). Feel free to look through my diary for ideas if you'd like. My go-tos are Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, beans and milk. I do supplement with Quest bars and protein powder, but I still get 80g or so from food every day. The trick, for me, is to prioritize protein. I pre-log, so I fill in my protein-containing foods first and then fill in everything else around them -- I only get to eat other "fun" things if I've come reasonably close to hitting my protein goal.

Thank you. I eat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, and beans as well. I hate meat and haven't tried any protein bars/powder.

Since I can't change how many calories I get to eat, I guess I'll need to identify something I can eat less of in order to replace it with more protein. I like the idea of using a protein bar for dessert. That might help.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I eat protein with every meal and snack and I don't have trouble hitting my targets. An apple might be paired with peanut butter for instance, or hummus with crackers. If you are consistently having trouble hitting the minimum, perhaps have some whey powder on hand to help you meet the minimum. I agree the protein bar is a good idea.