Options
13»

Replies

• LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    Some people seem to be here to make sure anyone who wants to try a vegan diet will be told it's not necessary.

It's not though..not for weight loss or general health at least.

You're right. It's not. But why say that every single time? When someone asks about Paleo, I figure that's what they want to know about and I stay out of it. I don't try to use their question to push my own agenda. Plus people who answer questions about vegan diets often don't know anything about them. So they end up perpetuating myths- like that you have to be careful about protein.

People stress the point a lot that being vegan isn't necessary for health or weight loss especially, because a lot of people come here making posts about "trying vegan", etc. to help their weight loss. A way to really restrict their food intake.
    I don't think it's a myth that vegans have to be careful to get enough protein.

And that's mentioning nothing about the superior attitude many/some vegans hold that they occupy a moral high ground compared to those who make different choices about their food.

Acting superior is by no means limited to vegans (and even if it were, that has nothing to do with the value of the diet). Every time this comes up in mainstream media I see at least as many obnoxious omnivores who keep making the same tired supposedly clever jokes over and over. And on this site I just haven't seen vegans jumping in on Paleo threads to criticize that diet, but every vegan thread gets at least one comment like that.
    And you're just wrong about protein- with the exception of vegans who subsist on junk food. And they're no worse off than omnivores who do the same. What you "think" doesn't matter. There's actual evidence. You're misinformed.
    I know I can't convince you, so I'll bow out now. Feel free to have the last word.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered this myself, not so much about those who use different diets but about those who seem to actively campaign against calorie counting.

Though, lemurcat makes a very good point concerning the people who come with the preplanned diet plans already. Maybe it's so that they can know they're hitting at least a healthy daily minimum? A girl can dream, right?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I come here to track my daily food choices, portion sizes, carbs, protein, sugars, fats and calories. I like to go back and review what I've eaten should I find myself on an insane binge in the refrigerator at midnight. Could be I had too much sugar that day and it set me off.

I choose to follow a special restrictive diet because it has improved my health and eliminated a lot of debilitating symptoms that were making my life a living death. However, if I eat too much of that type of food or start adding in the wrong types of food, I'll still get fat. I don't think everyone should have to eat the way I do and I don't really understand why anyone would care what I eat.

As for CICO, I can take it or leave it. I've gained large amount of weight while carefully weighing and counting out 800-1000 calories of food each day and running for miles. I've lost weight while doing no exercise and eating 3000 calories a day. I've lost weight cutting calories and I've gained weight increasing calories. I have the evidence of my own body to know the whole weight loss/gain/maintain thing is much more complex than just CICO. But if you believe it, no problem.

If I were on a preplanned diet, I'd probably still come to a site like this because even on most preplanned diets, you still have to add your own fruits, vegetables and dairy, and you still have to learn how to eat and plan meals properly off the diet, and you still seek some support from others who are struggling with their weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Some people seem to be here to make sure anyone who wants to try a vegan diet will be told it's not necessary.

You're right. It's not. But why say that every single time? When someone asks about Paleo, I figure that's what they want to know about and I stay out of it. I don't try to use their question to push my own agenda. Plus people who answer questions about vegan diets often don't know anything about them. So they end up perpetuating myths- like that you have to be careful about protein.

People stress the point a lot that being vegan isn't necessary for health or weight loss especially, because a lot of people come here making posts about "trying vegan", etc. to help their weight loss. A way to really restrict their food intake.

And that's mentioning nothing about the superior attitude many/some vegans hold that they occupy a moral high ground compared to those who make different choices about their food.

Acting superior is by no means limited to vegans (and even if it were, that has nothing to do with the value of the diet). Every time this comes up in mainstream media I see at least as many obnoxious omnivores who keep making the same tired supposedly clever jokes over and over. And on this site I just haven't seen vegans jumping in on Paleo threads to criticize that diet, but every vegan thread gets at least one comment like that.
    And you're just wrong about protein- with the exception of vegans who subsist on junk food. And they're no worse off than omnivores who do the same. What you "think" doesn't matter. There's actual evidence. You're misinformed.
    I know I can't convince you, so I'll bow out now. Feel free to have the last word.

What? You totally took what she said and turned it into everyting it wasn't.

Many people who tend to want to be vegan are doing it solely because they think it's some magic way to lose weight and lose it fast. You act as vegans are some victimized group when they aren't. Just as omnivores might "act" obnoxious on threads, so do some vegans. And yeah, I've seen a vegan jump into a paleo thread. Unfortunately, most of these threads that would prove it are nuked.

And it's not a 'myth" about being careful about getting enough protein. Just talk to a registered dietitian (not nutrtionist). It's science, not some fad, that has allowed us an understanding that protein is important and that vegans do have to make sure they are meeting that macro. No one is saying that eating meat is a "must" but that being responsible about your health and doing some extra research in regards to protein resources is a good thing to do.

And if some random joke on a thread about eating a burger on the INTERNET is going to get you upset, then I think the internet isn't for you in general.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

You are trying really hard to get an argument going.

Right! :laugh:
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ironically, this thread had nothing to do with veganism, until you-know-who decided to make it about arguing about veganism. What's up with that?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Ironically, this thread had nothing to do with veganism, until you-know-who decided to make it about arguing about veganism. What's up with that?

I'm sure somehow all the fault lies with omnivores.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If I were on a preplanned diet, I'd probably still come to a site like this because even on most preplanned diets, you still have to add your own fruits, vegetables and dairy, and you still have to learn how to eat and plan meals properly off the diet

Neither of these are true for the fad diets I was referring to. Nor for the ones that are actively anti calorie counting.
    you still seek some support from others who are struggling with their weight.

I guess.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    And yeah, I've seen a vegan jump into a paleo thread. Unfortunately, most of these threads that would prove it are nuked.

The main threads that seem to attract evangelical vegans are dairy threads, IME.

Most vegans around here seem pretty cool, though.

I would never tell someone who is vegan for ethical reasons that it's not necessary, because of course it is, for that person. But when someone is doing it to lose weight, yeah, I'd say it's not necessary or the best plan for someone not committed to veganism for more thought-out reasons, especially since you need to know a little something about nutrition to do it right. I've seen vegan posters do the same.
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Food diary and to make sure I'm eating enough as I do not trust myself to go on faith alone. There was one day where it said I was under 1,000 calories and I wouldn't have known that otherwise. A small snack got me over and I woke up the next day feeling good. I'm thinking, without knowing that, I would have felt like *kitten* the next day if I didn't eat.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I use it for the gifs, of course.

15-Strange-But-True.gif

After this, I won't be sleeping, so more shenanigans it is!
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use it to log in my calories and see what I can do to improve on my calorie deficit. Having both the computer version and the phone app has helped me. I also like to chat with the friends on my MFP page and it has gotten to the point where I like talking to people on here more than on Facebook. I also go on the forums....most of the time to troll and joke with the people on here lol but sometimes to get my point of view on things.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I have friends who follow CICO but also try these types of diets when they stall or feel like they arent getting anywhere quickly enough. (Not endorsing, just informing)

Or they know they have an issue with over indulging on certain types of food and so they follow a diet that doesn't allow them the foods they seem to have little self control over.

I say whatever floats your boat.
  • zoltanszecsi
    zoltanszecsi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So they can tell us all how much better they are then we are?
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

lol