No burning any calories???

Options
How is it that when I enter my "strength" exercises there's no calories burned?
I'm sure I do...but how do I calculate this?

Any ideas on how to go about it?

I know squats is: weight x.096 x time

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Go to "cardio" section and there is where you will get calories burned per exercises.
  • MamiGoals
    MamiGoals Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Go to "cardio" section and there is where you will get calories burned per exercises.

I know, but none of the exercises I do/did are on that category. They're all under strength.
    :neutral:
  • micz1203
    micz1203 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The strength section is only there to help you record your progress (sets, reps, and weight). To record the calories, go to cardiovascular section and search for 'weight training', then put in how long you exercise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MamiGoals wrote: »

I know, but none of the exercises I do/did are on that category. They're all under strength.

You don't enter the individual exercises under CV just the entire duration of the workout.
    Strength training, calisthenics, circuit training are options depending on style of your workout.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Just enter the total time under "strength training" in the cardio section.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Doing that produces an inaccurate (actually inflated) number.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I agree about not logging your lifting for extra calories. You're probably burning only 100-200 calories anyway.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

I don't usually log them myself...but I doubt that 45 calories in 10 minutes is inflated...
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I use a TDEE calculator to set up MFP and then when I exercise each one gets entered as 1 calorie since it's already been accounted for in the calculator -- makes things like strength training a little easier.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Logging strength training for calories is tough. If you're taking long rest periods between sets, you're probably burning less than someone who takes little rest between sets or activities. Likewise the types of moves you're doing, how much you're lifting, etc. Without an actual HRM it's hard to get an accurate idea of how many calories are burned in strength training. I typically log my workouts as 1 calorie (or don't bother to list as cardio at all) and then assume that whatever I might have burned will help make a tiny dent in any inaccuracies I might have had in food logging that week.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    Logging strength training for calories is tough. If you're taking long rest periods between sets, you're probably burning less than someone who takes little rest between sets or activities. Likewise the types of moves you're doing, how much you're lifting, etc. Without an actual HRM it's hard to get an accurate idea of how many calories are burned in strength training. I typically log my workouts as 1 calorie (or don't bother to list as cardio at all) and then assume that whatever I might have burned will help make a tiny dent in any inaccuracies I might have had in food logging that week.

HRMs are inaccurate for anaerobic activity.
  • MamiGoals
    Options
    Oh my.... so many ideas. Thank you. I will look into those links :)
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Really hard to figure the calories you burn during and after strength training, yes after as well, that's why it's important to lift heavy. That burning you feel after you leave the gym are calories still burning away, so i just don't count them, i use them on the event i miss judge my in counting calories taken in good buffer zone.
  • MamiGoals
    Options
    Really hard to figure the calories you burn during and after strength training, yes after as well, that's why it's important to lift heavy. That burning you feel after you leave the gym are calories still burning away, so i just don't count them, i use them on the event i miss judge my in counting calories taken in good buffer zone.

Thank you. That burning is a happy feeling :) I am Sore today. But I know it's worth it
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^