Struggling to lose weight

Options
im just wondering if anyone is having or has had this problem. I've been losing weight for around 5 weeks now. The first 3 weeks I lost 10 pounds. However the last 3 weeks I haven't lost a single pound I have stayed the same. I'm eating the same amount of calories I was in week 1 and 2 and doing the same amount of exercise. Can anyone help please. Thanks :)

Replies

• Drinkwater711
    Drinkwater711 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Make sure u mix up the amounts of carbs and protein u are eaten because the body will learn the same foods then u will flat line have a couple of low carb days then a high one see if this helps
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well, first important question is, how do you feel now ? Do you feel less motivated & bombed out.. or are you still full of energy and enthusiasm and wondering why the weight loss isn't happening any more? ;)
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Make sure u mix up the amounts of carbs and protein u are eaten because the body will learn the same foods then u will flat line have a couple of low carb days then a high one see if this helps

This is nonsense.

Weight loss is not linear. If you are logging accurately and exercising the same, I would guess you are retaining water which is masking weight loss. Is it your TOM soon? Most women retain some water for a week or so around then. In a month of consistently meeting my calorie goal and exercising, I usually lose weight for about 2 weeks, maintain or slightly bloat up for 2 weeks (still eating the same amount), and then after TOM my weight suddenly drops - working out to about the rate I'd expect in a month. Keep with it and it will come off eventually. You usually lose more at the beginning due to excess water weight and such, so you should expect it to slow down a bit anyway.

I didn't lose anything for over three weeks, and then suddenly dropped 3lbs (more than I aim for) recently. If you are really accurate in logging (weighing all solids, not eyeballing or using measuring cups, and using the recipe builder if you cook something, also not overestimating calories burned by exercise and eating them all back) you can be confident that you'll see the loss soon enough :smile:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Indeed, water retention can be caused by lots of things, including hormone fluctuations, muscle repair after increasing or changing activities, changes in sodium consumption or macro proportions.

Also, every 10 lbs or so, you will need to recalibrate your calorie goal. As you get smaller, your energy needs also get smaller.

If you're sure that you're logging accurately and your goal shouldn't change due to weight loss, then wait 4 weeks before you change anything. Some people find that eating at maintenance for a day or two will cause their body to release water weight, so that might be worth a try.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    im just wondering if anyone is having or has had this problem. I've been losing weight for around 5 weeks now. The first 3 weeks I lost 10 pounds. However the last 3 weeks I haven't lost a single pound I have stayed the same. I'm eating the same amount of calories I was in week 1 and 2 and doing the same amount of exercise. Can anyone help please. Thanks :)

OK

Good job on starting to eat at a defecit

Be aware that a large proportion of the 10lbs initial weight loss is water weight due to lowered calories (potentially lowered carbs too) and that weight loss is not linear

Can you set your diary to public so we can see if there are any glaring issues with your logging

(also that mixing up your diet post .. utter nonsense - please ignore it)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I would be patient. Sometimes you lose for a bit and sometimes you don't for a couple of weeks.
    Check your logging to see if you are being accurate.
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time of day, under the same conditions, on the same scale?
    Have you taken body measurements?
  • CherylC046
    CherylC046 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with being patient. I did the same but in taking my body measurements I was losing inches:)). Hang in there!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    so much nonsense, ignore this post op
  • laurenbryab
    laurenbryab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys. I am thinking it's probably water that I lost to begin with and maybe to do with the women issues once a month. I'll keep going and track the inches. I do think I have lost inches as my clothes aren't as tight as they used to be. Thanks for all your advice