I Do Run the "Natural" Way-New Shoes?

Options
So yesterday was the 4th day of doing C25K (repeating Week 1) and I paid attention to how I run, and I do run with my mid-foot and ball striking the ground first. I have been getting a shin splint in my left leg that is uncomfortable and caused me to cut my run short twice, and I am thinking it is a combination of my shoes and the way I run that is causing it.

Should I invest in some different shoes since I run different? I was looking at the Reebok Realflex. My local running shoe store does not carry them, and won't do a gait analysis unless you purchase shoes from them. Would my local ****'s Sporting have knowledgeable staff to help me?

Edited to add: "Richard's Sporting Goods" since MFP won't let me type the abbreviated version of Richard's name :wink:

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    They would be fine to consult. My local one has helped me with my son's football cleats and a couple other pair. They even have a treadmill so you can try out your shoes right there. I hope you find the right shoe for you, that's so important if you want to run and be injury free! Since I got my new shoes I've been running literally pain free!!!! Totally worth every penny!!!!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    That's funny that you can't type Richard's abbreviated name! I run in Asics and I love them. I have two pairs that I alternate to get the best wear for my money, one pair is the Gel Nimbus and the other is Gel Kayano...they are a little pricey but I've found with shoes, you get what you pay for. No shin splints for me. Good luck with your running! You could go to Runner's World website and they have a questionaire for you to take about your feet and stats that should put you in the right kind of shoe.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of the Realflex shoes when I was on vacation and I love them. I didn't do the gait analysis but was looking for something that would work with the trail and off road running I do. Super comfortable, less hip joint pain now and I've had some of my longer runs now in them with no lower leg pain.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    That's funny that you can't type Richard's abbreviated name! I run in Asics and I love them. I have two pairs that I alternate to get the best wear for my money, one pair is the Gel Nimbus and the other is Gel Kayano...they are a little pricey but I've found with shoes, you get what you pay for. No shin splints for me. Good luck with your running! You could go to Runner's World website and they have a questionaire for you to take about your feet and stats that should put you in the right kind of shoe.

I bought some Ascis Evo 4 form JC Penney, sale + coupon - $29.99!!!!!! I love the shoes. I will check out the questionnaire. Thanks!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I bought some Ascis Evo 4 form JC Penney, sale + coupon - $29.99!!!!!! I love the shoes. I will check out the questionnaire. Thanks!

You're very welcome!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    All the brands are similar if you ask me, I find asiacs too narrow for my feet but Saucony are amazing. Try them on and walk/run about is the only way.

And shin splints won't recover properly unless you rest.
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i run the same way and i have reebox and don't have any problems. they are the most comfortable shoe i have had yet. i don't get shin splints but i did used to get pains on the sides of my calfs that burned like crazy. my calfs did that the first two days and haven't done it since!!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    i run the same way and i have reebox and don't have any problems. they are the most comfortable shoe i have had yet. i don't get shin splints but i did used to get pains on the sides of my calfs that burned like crazy. my calfs did that the first two days and haven't done it since!!

That is the pain/tightness I have, on the outer side of my left calf. Hopefully my legs are just adjusting to being exercised.