Anyone doing the ketogenic diet plan??

Options
Attempting to try the ketos diet, basically very low carb high fat diet. Anyone out there who has done this diet before??

Replies

• Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi Ayriel,

I just started a week ago, and though it's been a bit tough changing my thinking about eating fat, the numbers on my scale are keeping me going! I was on Paleo a few years ago, and while I felt great, I didn't lose much weight. Looking back now, I realize it's because I was still eating fruit. I am 6 days in on Keto, and 7 pounds down. Let's support each other! :)

Thanks Tanuki for the resource!!!
  • Ayriel2014
    Ayriel2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm trying to understand it all, how many net carbs a day are you eating? Cause the site I did my calculations on said 20g for me.
  • Ayriel2014
    Ayriel2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

You might want to check out the keto resources of the Low Carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Best of luck!
    -ft

Thank you!
  • Spartanxi
    Spartanxi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lost 61lbs on keto , 30 more to go !
    Hmu if you need any help
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    3 weeks on Keto and struggling with all of weight loss. Carbs are less than 50 some days less than 20 protein is where it needs to be and yet scale isn't moving getting frustrated because I haven't touched bread, pasta ect in 3 weeks and I want some results. My energy level isn't all that it was rough the first 2
    Weeks I was exhausted and barely worked out this week feeling less sleepy but then again I was sick and slept for 2 days straight.

Anyway trying to lose 60lbs going to the dr to get my thyroid checked though cause something has to give
  • pewpewkapow
    pewpewkapow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20kg on keto, it was great. I'm doing 1200cal diet now because I got sick of always eating nothing but meat and cheese but I found it pretty easy at the start. www.reddit.com/r/keto has a great database with lots of information and recipes if you're feeling stuck. :)
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yep, did it 3 years ago, 20 pounds in 9 weeks (reached goal) on a diet I downloaded off the internet, and paid good money for. Fist two weeks were nocarb. I ended up being hospitalised with stroke-like symptoms, with a sodium and potassium deficiency. It worked, but I am not doing that again!
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    No, it was not 9 weeks, but 6!
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you do intensive sporting, stay away from keto diets. just saying.

It's better to have something like 40/40/20, where 20% is the fat percentage.
  • lugiagirl249
    lugiagirl249 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As pewpewkapow said,
    check out reddit's r/keto (and if you lift, check out r/ketogains). They have all the info you need on the keto diet. They can help you out if you have trouble. I've been on keto since Jan this year and lost 27 lbs so far. Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet. :smiley:
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am doing keto right now. Following the leptin reset plan as far as timing of meals as well. I have only been doing it this week, but so far I feel great and am losing weight. I have my macros set for 5% carbs, 65% fat, 30% protein.
    I shoot for 25g net carbs a day. Most all coming from green veggies. I eat a high protein breakfast(50g protein) first thing in the morning(5am) and then have lunch if I'm hungry for it about 12pm. I have dinner at 5pm and am done eating for the day. I go to bed around 8-9.
  • suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been doing ketosis for about four months, well the last two I've been slacking, and introduced vegetables in my diet, before then I didn't eat any vegetables or fruits, and didn't eat more than 10g carbs a day. The key is to eat fat, lots and lots of fat... I lost around 80+ lbs in the first two months doing that.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not a fan of this diet....especially if you lift. Be careful...
  • MimsFolsom
    MimsFolsom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What an incredible accomplishment! I have been doing it for about 3 weeks now and have lost 12 pounds, but am struggling to keep carbs low. I do eat vegetables - it has always been about the sides for me. You are an inspiration.
  • suessm
    Options
    tambra419 wrote: »
    I have been doing it for about 3 weeks now and have lost 12 pounds, but am struggling to keep carbs low. I do eat vegetables - it has always been about the sides for me.

Yeah,I never was to big in eating my vegetables, so that's not an issue for me... Potatoes shouldn't be considered a vegetable, that one I never had a problem eating, and still struggle with that today... I just remind myself, is it worth it? No breads, cereals, grains, pasta and I try to stay away from any sugars where ever possible. That makes the lifestyle tough.

My co-workers bring in donuts, cakes, all sorts of treats at work... I torture myself, with having a bowl full of candy at my desk...No I haven't had a piece for over a year now... I will not say I'm tempted to just say...It's not going to matter,I could have just one piece... It's a daily struggle, but I know that I could wolf down the piece of candy, and where will I be at? Will it fill me up? Will it even change the way I feel? The answer is no, so that's how I get by... Tough but keep your eye on the prize...
  • clairenicole84
    clairenicole84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diet has been the only thing that has ever worked for me. I just started back up about a month ago to lose my last 30 lbs. I've lost 4 lbs in the last month. I love it! I'm never hungry and I feel satisfied, plus I feel healthy. Hope it works for you too!

As someone mentioned above, my macros are 10% carbs/25% protein/65% fat and I try to stay at 1500 calories a day. I am 5 feet 0 inches tall and I currently weigh 151 lbs.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Uhh guys? Vegetables are a Keto staple. Especially cauliflower, broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables. Keto is not just meat and cheese!
  • suessm
    Options
    True vegetables do make the diet easier, and offers more variety... They should not be 100% avoided, like you would sugar, but too much and you'll find yourself surpassing your carb limit. Not a bad thing, as long as you don't mind going in and out of ketosis temporarily. Some people can handle more carb intake than others, find your threshold, and live by it... Mine is pretty low, More than 30g and I'm out for several hours. If I surpass this more than a day, and it takes me a couple days to get back in... Which is still less than the initial 3 weeks, when I started my ketosis lifestyle. Sometimes worth it, to add the variety.