empty stomach feeling

Options
Ok, so I have been out for a work lunch, and have today eaten around 800 calories...
But I have a feeling in my stomach like it is about to rumble. It feels empty. I have drunk about 1 1/5 litres of water so don't think it is dehydration.
anyone experienced this?
Is it just hunger lol.
what can I do? I have 2 1/2 hours until I eat my dinner!

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    .....eat
  • ImVeryAngryItsNotButter
    Options
    Sounds like you're starving yourself as I only get that feeling when I haven't had enough to eat for the day. Try having an apple if you're planning on having a big dinner. It's about 50 calories and is a filling and nutritional snack.
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Really? But I only have 624 remaining for tonight.... and my dinner will be around 500.... I like to keep around 100 in reserve in case I want a biscuit after dinner...
    I am scared to eat over my allowance.

I'll go buy an apple on my way home...
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What have you been eating? Empty calories can leave you feeling that was as well.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    Really? But I only have 624 remaining for tonight.... and my dinner will be around 500.... I like to keep around 100 in reserve in case I want a biscuit after dinner...

You're surprised that when you're feeling hungry, someone suggested you to eat?

... I can't even
  • ImVeryAngryItsNotButter
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

... I can't even

Now now there's no sense in being condescending... Lola - Stop stressing over calories, there are more important things to worry about. Just make an effort to eat healthy most of the time because you want to and it makes you feel better. For example, dairy makes me ***** and sugar gives me headaches but sometimes I just need cheese fries and ice cream. Bottom line - if you stress over calorie counting it'll lead to obsession which can lead to binge eating. Just take it one day at a time and do your best and forget the rest.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

... I can't even

Now now there's no sense in being condescending... Lola - Stop stressing over calories, there are more important things to worry about. Just make an effort to eat healthy most of the time because you want to and it makes you feel better. For example, dairy makes me ***** and sugar gives me headaches but sometimes I just need cheese fries and ice cream. Bottom line - if you stress over calorie counting it'll lead to obsession which can lead to binge eating. Just take it one day at a time and do your best and forget the rest.
    I'm literally seriously asking?

OP - if you find you're hungry more often, eat more filling meals that are loaded with protein to keep yourself satiated!
    Fats are great to help too! AND just eat.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Spread your calories out. Instead of having such big meals, have smaller meals throughout the day. That should help. Save some calories for snacks in between like almonds and a piece of fruit...
    That way, you won't be so hungry in between.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I feel that way at times. Dieting can be tough! Try eating satiating foods that have high protein and/or fat contents. Find a way to balance out your macronutrients; I find that helps me with feeling hungry. And I also want to say it's ok to go over calories at times. Look at your weekly total, you will probably still be at a deficit :)
  • Lola2248
    Options
    haha, not surprised someone suggested to eat, that's why I said is it hunger? I didn't know if it was something like my stomach shrinking and something I needed to just get used to. I could quite easily cave and gorge on food. I'm trying to be strict, especially as today was a meal out with my work colleagues for lunch.
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Spread your calories out. Instead of having such big meals, have smaller meals throughout the day. That should help. Save some calories for snacks in between like almonds and a piece of fruit...
    That way, you won't be so hungry in between.

I should snack more through the day. I will try this.

I understand what you are saying.... my vice is chips and curry sauce! I am trying to strike that balance between being aware of what I'm eating without forgetting and without obsessing. Finding it difficult to find that line.

Thanks for the help tho everyone :-)
  • mejerrymcc
    mejerrymcc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Spice things up if you can stand the heat, I like the Serrano peppers and yes they are hot about 10,000 -25,000 on on the Scoville scale. There not a large pepper and they are packed with a lots of vitamin c and one pepper is only about 2 calories and is a natural energy booster among other health benefits . WARNING not for every one however they do help me with my appetite, I have will power issue and eating a pepper is a great motivator.
    Good luck
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You're not divvying up your calories enough. If you have 800 total for the entire day until dinner and then you have 600+left for dinner, you are eating too little in the beginning of the day. Try dividing your calories more evenly through your meals so you get more to eat in the beginning of the day. It is normal to feel some hunger, but it shouldn't be that bad.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have been out for a work lunch, and have today eaten around 800 calories...
    But I have a feeling in my stomach like it is about to rumble. It feels empty. I have drunk about 1 1/5 litres of water so don't think it is dehydration.
    anyone experienced this?
    Is it just hunger lol.
    what can I do? I have 2 1/2 hours until I eat my dinner!

It's good, isn't it. :) I like that empty feeling.

Too empty, and my stomach hurts, but just at that point where it feels like my stomach is about to rumble is comfortable.

• Lola2248
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    You're not divvying up your calories enough. If you have 800 total for the entire day until dinner and then you have 600+left for dinner, you are eating too little in the beginning of the day. Try dividing your calories more evenly through your meals so you get more to eat in the beginning of the day. It is normal to feel some hunger, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Lol hadn't thought of that! I have just tried to split it into 400 calories per meal. But I think I need to get some smarter snacks, and put those in to my ady. Its a big learning curve for me. sometimes feel I am not doing any of it right.... but I am trying to stick at it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you need to find what's right for you

I eat around
    200- 250 for breakfast
    350-500 for lunch
    350 - 500 for dinner

and the rest dotted around the day
  • Sammie262
    Sammie262 Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I read that if we eat 400 cals for breakfast, then 600 for both lunch and dinner that leaves us with enough cals throughout the day for snacks. I tend to eat 4 smaller meals now and I don't need as many snacks. It sounds like you do need to alter how you divide your cals up to work for you, but one thing is for sure, don't beat yourself up over it. So you had lunch with colleagues, it's not the end of the world. Life is too short to be dieting and miserable over whether we can have an apple to ease the hunger til tea time... Good luck with your journey.x
  • birdsncrabs
    birdsncrabs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest water but you already mentioned that. Vegetables are generally low calorie. My favorite veggie snack is a tomato.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to split your calories up more, I like to have around a 300 Cal breakfast, then a snack that's around 100-150 calories, then lunch which is usually around 300 as well and a small snack in the afternoon, then dinner which is normally around 400-500 calories. It keeps me full during the day and if I feel hungry after I've tried to distract myself or drank water, I'll just eat more. But then I work out more if I do go over :)
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    800 by lunch and 600 left for dinner means you are eating a 1400 calorie diet. Everyone is different but personally, I cannot eat so few calories. You might want to increase the number of calories you are eating. You may lose weight slower, but you won't be starving in the process. When I get into those situations I tend to do okay for a few days, then fall off the wagon because it's just not sustainable.

For the record, I eat between 1800-2100 calories per day - on the higher end on days I am more active. And I lost almost 40 pounds doing that.
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you need to find what's right for you

I eat around
    200- 250 for breakfast
    350-500 for lunch
    350 - 500 for dinner

and the rest dotted around the day

this.

Also, I generally eat something every 2-3 hours, which comes out to 3 meals and two snacks. I like to snack on veggies. Faves are baby carrots, celery with a little bit of almond butter, or sliced cucumber with a couple cut up plum tomatoes.