I can't lose it. Need help

Options
been fighting 30 pounds since October. Mostly belly fat and I don't have a horrible diet. I eat 70% clean. I try not to skip meals or snacks and I have double my activity since January. I teach fitness classes and it embarrassing to not be able to get this off. Any suggestions would be helpful. I bought a whole summer wardrobe knowing I could work this off and I have done nothing but continue to gain. I refuse to believe I'm just too old for this. But I used to be able to eat garbage and not gain a pound. Now I watch everything including the scale going up

Replies

• KRoth321
    KRoth321 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How frustrating! I recently bought a Fitbit and it has really helped me target why I've gained and also why I haven't lost. It really helps me stay on target and it's a great motivator. I'll be watching this post to see if you get any ideas I can snag! Good luck to you!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Well, are you weighing all your foods? Logging them accurately?
    If your not losing, your not eating at a deficit.
  • bethflowers217
    bethflowers217 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my foods now but I have been a fitness instructor since 2009. I weighed my foods then but learned to eyeball stuff. Weights never been a problem until the last year and it seems to not want to leave. Weighing is something I hadn't thought of so I may go back to that. I do measure out almonds etc when I eat them. I know my portions are pretty accurate on the fresh veggies that I eat... But maybe you're on to something
  • bethflowers217
    Options
    I bought a polar loop in January and I never take it off. 4-5 days out of the week I do 130%+ of my fitness goal on a level 2. Always 14K steps or more. I'm confident my activity level isn't the issue. Unless it's doing too much. I have upped my sleeping times so I'm getting 6+ hours a night. Usually closer to 8 but not always.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You are simply not at deficit. Your portions are not accurate otherwise you would be losing. Go and buy some scales as well as reading the calorie counting 101 sticky.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my foods now but I have been a fitness instructor since 2009. I weighed my foods then but learned to eyeball stuff. Weights never been a problem until the last year and it seems to not want to leave. Weighing is something I hadn't thought of so I may go back to that. I do measure out almonds etc when I eat them. I know my portions are pretty accurate on the fresh veggies that I eat... But maybe you're on to something

start weighing.

if you're not losing weight its because you're not in a deficit!
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Aside from poss logging incorrect weight for food, which another user addressed id be curious if you're eating back exercise calories as often times those are over estimated on this webpage too. Do you log beverages? Do you log every bite? I know at one point I would test some of son's food by taking a bite. And it doesn't sound like much, but it adds up.
  • bethflowers217
    Options
    I log every bite. I don't test the kids food anymore :) they are almost grown up lol. I only drink water and coffee with stevia in the raw. I mean I feel like I'm doing it all right. :-/ it's never been this hard to lose weight. And I don't even look at my calories left in the day until I close my journal which is when I'm passing out at night. Lol. I log as I go through the day but 4 days a week my exercise happens at the end of the day so I barely have the umph left to get dinner in lol. Let alone try and consume extra.

But you make a valid point they over estimate calories on this app. Most days I go to bed with 500-600 leftover but I feel like it's probably accurate Bc the exercise is off
  • bethflowers217
    Options

start weighing.

Agreed. But I can eat 1200 calories of cake and 1200 calories of broccoli and the human body will not respond to the caloric intake alone. Isn't quality a key part? I eat 70% raw fruits/veggies and more grilled chicken (homemade so I know what's in it lol) that most humans will in their life.

None the less I'm going to start weighing!!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I believe you when you said you used to be good at eyeballing portions. However, I hate to mention this, but you're older now, and things don't quite work as they did when we were younger. You have to really watch your calories--eating clean isn't enough. As the "oldtimers" on here say---"You can't outexercise a bad diet". This meaning too many calories. Also, I'd suggest watching your macros closely. You may be hungry if you're not fulfilling protien and fat goals. I've had good success on MFP and I'm 60. Don't be in too big a rush (summer wardrobe) , you'll look better long term losing the weight slowly. It's important to reverse the trend (gaining) for now. Best. B)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

No may .. do go back to it

because you've got eyeball drift :bigsmile: and you're eating too much

70% clean means diddly-squat

get your calories in vs calories out under control and you'll lose it
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

start weighing.

Agreed. But I can eat 1200 calories of cake and 1200 calories of broccoli and the human body will not respond to the caloric intake alone. Isn't quality a key part? I eat 70% raw fruits/veggies and more grilled chicken (homemade so I know what's in it lol) that most humans will in their life.

nope nope nope

it's a strawman argument because nobody eats 1200 calories of one thing

get your macro and micro nutrients right - hit your protein and fat targets as a minimum
    protein = 0.8-1g protein per lb LBM
    fats = 0.35g of fat per lb of bodyweight

and eat what you want to a calorie defecit

and yes that means cake ... and wine .. and ice cream

cos once my macros are met and I have a widespread of vegetables I'm fine
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I get like that I usually have to change up my exercise and it seems to shock my body into burning fat again.
  • myepi
    myepi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First go check your thyroid and then go see a nutritionist. Most insurance companies cover several visits,the number depends if you are obese (you get more visits) or if you just want a consultation.

My story:
    Unbeknownst to me I have been eating too little pretty much whole life and now when I'm almost my mid-fifties a nutritionist tells me I have to increase my calorie intake in order and to loose weight. Well, this happened last Thursday and as of today I am down 5.5LB. It would be nice if I got down 10 more pounds to roughly 140. I will keep you updated!

This past week I've been eating more than EVER, my husband of more than 30 years can no believe his eyes. I post everything I eat in MFP, and I am at a deficit. My calorie intake is 1500, my measured resting metabolic rate over 1600 and actual measured intake should have been 2600. I increased my food intake by 50%, from roughly 1000 to 1500 and pounds are just falling off me.
    I am an avid indoor spinner, I started running and lifting a little more weights.

Let me tell you, I am a happy camper and I love my nutritionist.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    myepi wrote: »
    First go check your thyroid and then go see a nutritionist. Most insurance companies cover several visits,the number depends if you are obese (you get more visits) or if you just want a consultation.

My story:
    Unbeknownst to me I have been eating too little pretty much whole life and now when I'm almost my mid-fifties a nutritionist tells me I have to increase my calorie intake in order and to loose weight. Well, this happened last Thursday and as of today I am down 5.5LB. It would be nice if I got down 10 more pounds to roughly 140. I will keep you updated!

This past week I've been eating more than EVER, my husband of more than 30 years can no believe his eyes. I post everything I eat in MFP, and I am at a deficit. My calorie intake is 1500, my measured resting metabolic rate over 1600 and actual measured intake should have been 2600. I increased my food intake by 50%, from roughly 1000 to 1500 and pounds are just falling off me.
    I am an avid indoor spinner, I started running and lifting a little more weights.

Let me tell you, I am a happy camper and I love my nutritionist.

When I told someone else to increase to 1300-1400, I was told I was wrong. You just proved me right. Thanks!!
    I was also told by my consultant, who is a dietitian and nutritionist that as long as I eat under 1800 I should lose weight. She recommended starting below 1000 cal and slowly building to reach 1400- 1500, which is still a deficit.
    So far since March I have lost 11kg and am very close to hitting 12kg, from following her advise. Your nutritionist is an expert and knows her stuff!
    Congratulations on your loss, you are doing fabulous.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I don't believe anyone else can tell you what your calorie level should be. I think you have to do the maths, then trial and error to see whether you gain, lose or maintain.
  • bethflowers217
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

start weighing.

nope nope nope

get your macro and micro nutrients right - hit your protein and fat targets as a minimum

I agree with what you are saying. But I'm going to just tell you... I can easily eat my weight in pizza/choc chip cookies. I don't. But I'm certain I could
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

start weighing.

nope nope nope

I agree with what you are saying. But I'm going to just tell you... I can easily eat my weight in pizza/choc chip cookies. I don't. But I'm certain I could

A lot of us can.

Anyway, this is the way to go. I hit all my macros in my first 1200-1400 calories, then it's fair game.