Piriformis Syndrome Advice

Options
mrsbutla
mrsbutla Posts: 18 Member
Hey there!
I'm really suffering with butt , hip and leg pain and I think my symptoms all point to piriformis syndrome . Plus I was recently diagnosed through a physiotherapist that I have weakness in my glute causing mis alignment in my hips! Falling apart I am . Just wondering if anyone else has suffered with this and what helped and what didn't help and did it get better ?

Thanks - Nicola

Replies

• rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes I've had this. Loads of hip stretches, especially targeting the piriformis (look for sciatica stretches), loads of sports massages, plus lots of glute bridging and hip thrusting has completely resolved my piriformis symptoms. I still have a natural slight anterior pelvic tilt, I've learnt to love that and it is a bit of bonus when squatting ATG and dead lifting. And I'm still more mobile through one hip than the other, but all in I'm not having all the symptoms that go along with it. Mine is/was caused by being very mobile through the SIJ's, building up all the glute muscles has seriously helped stabilize my pelvis and taken the tension off of that piriformis.

It's really something you need to be proactive about as sciatic pain (if the nerve gets affected) is not only highly painful but it's also pretty hard to settle back down too. And that is the voice of experience talking!
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Get a lacrosse ball (around $3) and do this:

Seriously. It is painful because you are so tight there, probably from sitting all day (I had the same issue... work, driving, eating, etc.). Also do these:

seated-pigeon.jpg

Lean forward and hold. Do this 2 minutes straight, 3 to 5 times a day. You will feel the stretch in your glutes and hamstrings. A more advanced stretch is the pigeon pose:

pigeon_pose.jpg

A combination of the lacrosse ball rolling and 2 minutes of stretching 3 to 5 times a day will help you immeasurably.

Source: Former tight piriformis guy.

I also do foam rolling on all my leg as maintenance 3x a week, used to be tough but now I use a rock solid roller and don't feel any pain.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Second the yoga and stretching moves! I get bad sciatica from time to time if I don't stretch properly after cycling or any other extended exercise. If I stretch, it never shows up.
  • mrsbutla
    Options
    Yes I've had this. Loads of hip stretches, especially targeting the piriformis (look for sciatica stretches), loads of sports massages, plus lots of glute bridging and hip thrusting has completely resolved my piriformis symptoms. I still have a natural slight anterior pelvic tilt, I've learnt to love that and it is a bit of bonus when squatting ATG and dead lifting. And I'm still more mobile through one hip than the other, but all in I'm not having all the symptoms that go along with it. Mine is/was caused by being very mobile through the SIJ's, building up all the glute muscles has seriously helped stabilize my pelvis and taken the tension off of that piriformis.

It's really something you need to be proactive about as sciatic pain (if the nerve gets affected) is not only highly painful but it's also pretty hard to settle back down too. And that is the voice of experience talking!

Thank you . I will most definitely address this immediately. Will make sure I stretch daily , I've found some you tube videos which were really useful . I know if I leave it it will just get worse and who knows in 20 years what I'll end up like ! Thank you

Seriously. It is painful because you are so tight there, probably from sitting all day (I had the same issue... work, driving, eating, etc.). Also do these:

seated-pigeon.jpg

Lean forward and hold. Do this 2 minutes straight, 3 to 5 times a day. You will feel the stretch in your glutes and hamstrings. A more advanced stretch is the pigeon pose:

pigeon_pose.jpg

A combination of the lacrosse ball rolling and 2 minutes of stretching 3 to 5 times a day will help you immeasurably.

I also do foam rolling on all my leg as maintenance 3x a week, used to be tough but now I use a rock solid roller and don't feel any pain.

seated-pigeon.jpg

pigeon_pose.jpg

Thank you . Great info and lots to be working towards .
  • mrsbutla
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    Second the yoga and stretching moves! I get bad sciatica from time to time if I don't stretch properly after cycling or any other extended exercise. If I stretch, it never shows up.

I was going to try a yoga class this has given me the push to give it a go . If it will help , well worth the try . Thank you .