Plant-based whey protein

Curtez
Curtez Posts: 62 Member
I recently came across plant based whey protein powder. Is it better for you etc vs the other stuff found in gnc/vitamin shop?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I….what?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It can't be! By definition whey is a byproduct from curdling milk. There's plant-based protein powders like Vega One. They get their protein from flax, hemp, sacha, and spirulina.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    They finally perfected the science on that milk tree, huh?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Curtez wrote: »
    I recently came across plant based whey protein powder. Is it better for you etc vs the other stuff found in gnc/vitamin shop?
    Whey is from milk so can't be plant based.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Well cows do convert plants into milk, and whey is derived from milk, so in that respect whey is plant based. But then so is meat.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I think OP means plant based protein powder. Whey, of course, is derived from milk, and therefore can't be considered plant based. A lot of people think "whey" is just another word for protein, so maybe that's where the confusion comes from...

Yes, OP. I use plant based protein since I have trouble digesting the milk protein, casein. I prefer the pea protein blends, myself. The one I use is a complete protein blend, so it has all the necessary amino acids. It doesn't seem to be much different from the whey proteins, except that I can digest it more easily, LOL. No stomach aches for me! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Whey comes from milk -- which fits into a vegetarian diet.
    If you want a protein that is from plants, look at these: pea, hemp, rice.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    @jenilla1 what product do you use, I've been trying to find one higher in protein than I use currently but am not sure what to try because I know the taste can be iffy on some
  • alibanjo
    alibanjo Posts: 8 Member
    Like pea and soy? I would say they were worthwhile if you were vegan or lactose intolerant. Otherwise, stick to whey. Its high bioavailabilitybioavailability and amino acid content are much better for building muscle. Also, I think it tends to be cheaper, though that may be just near me.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Check out Jarrow whey protein -- has the protein you need without all of the junk and chemicals a lot of the others add in.
  • carlyhicks34
    carlyhicks34 Posts: 1 Member
    Soya protein is a plant protein and much better for you. It's better on the digestive system
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Ignore the whey in the original question. Lol @ the trolls. Plant based protein powder- the organic whatever stuff thats around 16g of protein vs the body tech stuff or whatever . Heck if i kno exact product lines theres only about 7,000 of them
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    No one's trolling you, we've just been around long enough to find amusement in the concept of plant-based whey protein. Because sadly, it wouldn't be surprising if there were people out there who believe that's a thing.

I don't know your definition of "better for you," I tend to look at protein powders in terms of grams of protein vs filler per serving size/calorie count. 16g protein really wouldn't be worth my time for a powder.
  • dserp22
    dserp22 Posts: 21 Member
    Just eat cow
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2015
    How about getting a product that is pure whey protein isolate?
    Or, for a vegetarian option, pure spirulina?

Spirulina is very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin K, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium and Potassium, and a very good source of Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Iron, Copper and Manganese. Read More
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Curtez wrote: »
    Ignore the whey in the original question. Lol @ the trolls. Plant based protein powder- the organic whatever stuff thats around 16g of protein vs the body tech stuff or whatever . Heck if i kno exact product lines theres only about 7,000 of them

This is what I use: Growing Naturals Organic Rice Protein
    120 calories / 24 grams protein.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Thanks for this question. I can't handle milk well and get nauseous every time I have my protein powder. Will have to look into these options.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Whey is king of protein types
    For powders: Whey protein > egg/beef protein > hemp/rice > pea/soy.

TLDR: Use Whey Concentrate if it doesn't upset your stomach. If it does, use Whey Isolate. Now if you have allergies, go to beef or egg protein but keep in mind you have to take more for the same protein amount.

"6) You will not get lured into buying expensive protein with sub optimal amino acid profile. People, if you’re paying more than ~10 dollars/lb of protein you’re getting duped, as the manufacturer is preying on your ignorance. Whey is the king protein, period. It’s better than the 100 dollar fish protein from a certain manufacturer who is big in the land of shirtless dudes and vibram 5 finger clad women. Why? Because its amino acid profile is better, i.e. it has more BCAAs (leucine/isoleucine/valine) and a higher concentration of essential amino acids. Also, it’s cheaper…so that seems to be a good point in and of itself. Whey trumps casein on satiety, MPS rates, and time that it keeps plasma (blood) amino acid levels elevated. In other words, all the nonsense the bro at GNC regurgitates about casein being a slow digesting protein that is good to take at night because it slowly releases amino acids from the GI tract is BS. Well, to be fair to him (bro) or her (bra?), it [casein] does more slowly release amino acids into the blood stream from the gut, but it’s TOO SLOW to actually raise blood amino acid levels high enough to effectively drive muscle protein synthesis unless you dose it much higher than whey, which is the king of proteins. Also, whey keeps you fuller, longer (satiety) than casein, and it’s CHEAPER. Yep, whey is better than egg protein, beef protein, hemp protein (sucks), rice protein (sucks), pea protein (double sucks), and soy protein (double sucks). Whey protein concentrate, one of the cheapest options out there is where everyone should start for whey supplementation. If it doesn’t upset your GI tract, then stay there and never look back. If it does- and it will in some who are sensitive to an amino acid fraction (beta lactalbumin) – switch to whey protein isolate, which has this fraction removed. Whey protein concentrate (WPC) might actually be superior to whey protein isolate (WPI) because b-lactalbumin is a very concentrated source of leucine- so I prefer WPC in those who can tolerate it. No Virginia, WPI doesn’t always mean better and as you just learned- more expensive is not always better."

Source