Coconut Oil

Options
ReniaL
ReniaL Posts: 86 Member
Hello everyone, I came across an article yesterday about benefits of eating coconut oil. I have to say I am intrigued. I had some coconut oil at home as I bought it some time ago to do my hair mask and decided to give it a go. I have to say I have a problem with eating it straight from the jar (as one of the ways suggested in the article) as it made me really sickly. I wondered if anyone on here is using it and do you find that you are losing body fat?

Replies

• bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking (replacing olive oil), skin and hair.

I haven't found it makes any difference to be honest. I am losing fat. But I was when I wasn't using it.

I wasn't eating it with a spoon though. I think people put it in coffee. Still sounds bogging. Would you eat a spoon of sunflower oil? Same difference.

Its another fad. If you like it, use it. Otherwise I don't think there are any miracle benefits.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not a miracle food to lose weight (unfortunately), but I love it for my skin and every time I'm cooking. Just weigh out what you use if you eat it.
  • rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    if something makes you feel sick, it's probably a sign you shouldn't do it.

that said, coconut oil is wonderful as a high-heat cooking oil. i like it in stir-fries, curries.... anything i want to add a bit of coconut flavour to. i also keep a separate jar in the bathroom for my hair & skin.

i don't think there's any such thing as a miracle food. use coconut oil because you think it's delicious and make it fit into your daily counts and you'll lose weight.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    if something makes you feel sick, it's probably a sign you shouldn't do it.

that said, coconut oil is wonderful as a high-heat cooking oil. i like it in stir-fries, curries.... anything i want to add a bit of coconut flavour to. i also keep a separate jar in the bathroom for my hair & skin.

i don't think there's any such thing as a miracle food. use coconut oil because you think it's delicious and make it fit into your daily counts and you'll lose weight.

Just to expound - I love coconut oil, but I think I'd gag if I ate it straight up!

I enjoy baking with it when a smaller amount of fat is called for.
    My friend makes these amazing oreo truffles, and coconut oil and oreos are the only ingredients...unless she dips them in chocolate. Hardly low-cal but so delicious.
    If you put it in hot coffee or tea, throw it all in the blender for a few spins. The fat will melt and froth and give you a consistency as if you had used creamer (same principle as coffeemate, which is just hydrogenated oils, sugar, flavor and stabilizers)
    My hands-down favorite way to use is to make coconut fried rice. Take leftover rice, 1-2tbs coconut oil, and whatever other tasties are lying around in your fridge, and stir fry all together.

In the end, coconut oil IS a fat, so eating it won't make you LOSE body fat unless you eat in a caloric deficit. But it is tasty! And when I buy something I like to use it up, so good luck!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking. Not sure I'd enjoy eating it straight either....

As someone else stated, calorie deficit = weight loss.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking and baking.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have used it for baking & pan frying, that's about it. My ex SIL used to eat spoonfuls but I do not see the point!
    I love using it for hair, skin, & nails. Used it on a new tattoo, sunburn, cooking burns, etc. It's pretty amazing but I don't think you need to eat tons of it (like any other fats).
  • maranne55
    maranne55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter was advised by her dietitian to add 1 Tbs to protein smoothie to aid satiety. She was eating max of 20 carbs daily. She said she couldn't taste it. I haven't tried it.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I tried it in a smoothie and it was, well, oily. Because the smoothie was cold. I may try the coffee thing, just because I am curious and the oil will be better masked, I am guessing, when its warm. Otherwise I only really use it on a regular basis on my face, lips, and to pop popcorn in a pan. I love it more for my skin than anything else.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cook with it like a normal person....people like to take a reasonably good thing and then derp the *kitten* out of it.

coconut oil is just a fat, and dietary fat is essential. but it's not magical...many of the touted health benefits are anecdotal at best. it is delicious and i cook with it regularly, but you'd think the way people talk about it, it cures cancer or something.

ironically, just a couple of decades ago it was banned for use in movie theater popcorn 'cuz "debil"...now all of a sudden it's a "health food". go figure.
  • emilylaurelf
    emilylaurelf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Blending a tablespoon into your coffee along with a teaspoon of grass fed unsalted butter is amazing. Unlike when you simply story in the oil and it separates to the top blending it emulsifier the oils and creates a really creamy texture. This process also binds the caffeine to the fat molecules giving you much longer lasting energy than with coffee alone. Just search bullet proof coffee for more info.
  • Reevoslady
    Reevoslady Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking, as it has a high smoke point. It's also lower in calories than most oils. I also use it as a moisturiser if I've done a skin peel, or a makeup remover. I also use it to oil my bakeware, as it hardens in my climate and leaves a thin film over the surface, protecting the pan from rusting.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has nothing to do with weight loss

Weight loss= calorie deficit
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I can't eat butter, so I use it for baking where you'd normally use butter and I like it for the most part (except with my brownie mix, which is makes too sweet for some reason). but I haven't found it to be "magic" in any way.
  • skylight_dreams
    skylight_dreams Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great for blisters, massage in and it takes away the pain and makes it go away in a day or two
    Also, if you use swish around in the mouth I have found it helps with keeping the teeth whiter along with the dentist was impressed on the how healthy my gums and teeth were last visit :)
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    i eat it by the tablespoon (well just one). I like the taste and stops me craving sweets in the afternoon.

I also make an amazing chocolate with coco oil, butter, cacao and rice malt syrup.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've tried it in coffee. I like the taste but more fat than I'd like to consume since I drink a few cups of coffee a day.

I also use it as a moisturizer on my face. So far, it's been the only thing that doesn't make me break out.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee in the morning before my run. It has helped GREATLY with my runs, endurance and energy-wise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've tried it in coffee. I like the taste but more fat than I'd like to consume since I drink a few cups of coffee a day.

I also use it as a moisturizer on my face. So far, it's been the only thing that doesn't make me break out.[/quote

I started off using it as a moisturiser, and I also mixed coconut oil with sugar and used it as a exfoliant. It made my skin super smooth but also made me breakout in pimples, so I had to stop using it :disappointed:
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love cooking with it, the food doesn't taste as heavy, and I like the flavor when baking with it. Ditto on the moisturizer.

It may be lovely in coffee but I am afraid to like it too much there. I drink 3-4 cups a day, too.