How do you make things fit your macros?

Options
how do people make things fit with their macros so well?

Replies

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    prelogging the entire day...or at least most of it. after a while you tend to find what works for you and what doesn't
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    prelogging the entire day...or at least most of it. after a while you tend to find what works for you and what doesn't

Yep. Focus on hitting your fat and protein numbers, then fill the rest with carbs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I pre-log not just one day but the entire week...that way if I do have an off day I know I am still on track for the week.

ETA: this allows for tweaking as well...for example today I had logged chicken for dinner...boys decided they wanted ham so I had to up that serving and get rid of something to hit my protein.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Prelogging
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Yep. Focus on hitting your fat and protein numbers, then fill the rest with carbs.

Mhm. I prelog in the morning/night before, and maybe change things around as I decide what I want to eat. Once I hit my main macro (protein), I just eat whatever I fancy.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    First identifying, based on the goal, what type of foods you "need a lot of" (i.e., protein can be a tough goal to meet, and is what I consider my most important macro, so I focus on that first). To hit a high protein goal, you'll want to first consider what foods will fit into your day that will support that goal... protein powder, eggs, chicken, some nuts and dairy... pre-log what you intend to eat to meet that macro.

Then look at how those foods affect your other macros (since foods that have protein also have carbs, fats, etc., they will influence the totals of those macs.) If you choose eggs to get a lot of your protein, you'll also be looking at a lot of fat. That's fine, as long as other food choices you make throughout the day don't push you over.

There's a lot of trial and error, first give it a go pre-logging what you would typically eat in a day. then look at your macros. Where do you need to tighten it up? Where are you not meeting your goal? Since you're pre-logging (and haven't consumed anything yet) it's a clean slate to work with and tweak until you like how your numbers look.

I also try to stay under sodium, though I'm terrible at it.

Best wishes!
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I first started counting macros- I would sit down the night before and pre-log everything. Here I am almost a year later and I hardly ever pre-log. I have a feel for what I need to eat to meet my macros. Usually I just fill my snacks to fill the voids! it can be overwhelming at first- just give yourself some grace and keep at it! It will be second nature before ya know it!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Like this.

giphy.gif
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I worry about hitting protein first. Then the rest just falls into place.
  • HollandOats
    Options
    I'll add that, once I found a combination of foods that 1.) I thoroughly enjoy, 2.) I could eat in good quantity and still stay within my CALORIE goal and 3.) filled out my macros how I liked - I basically have stuck with those options, mixing it up a bit here and there, but for the most part, during the week, I eat a lot of the same foods as my "go-to's" for good nutrition and feeling satisfied (both of which are quite important to me).

Since I really like these foods, it doesn't bother me that I may eat them 5 days in a row. I think that, since they are filling AND nutritious, subconsciously, I come to want more of them, so it doesn't "get old" to me, I don't get burnt out on them.

Everyone's different, and lots of people need variety, but I think if you take a peek at people doing IIFYM (I don't claim to be doing this), they often have the exact same thing for certain meals, particularly breakfast. It just makes life easier.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    I worry about hitting protein first. Then the rest just falls into place.

This is how I handle it as well. My top priority, macro-wise, is protein. Then fat, but I so rarely come close to not hitting fat that I barely pay attention to it. Then carbs just end up wherever at this point.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Are the macros really that important (please don't crucify me!)?

I've just been worried about staying within my calories. The only macros I really worry about are the sugar and sodium...I think I'm getting the hang of the sugar but the sodium some days...whoa!

TIA for your responses... :)
  • HollandOats
    Options
    I am not stringent about them... for example, I go over my fat goal all the time... but I eat a lot of nuts and avocados, so I anticipate that and don't mind. However, when eating at a deficit, it becomes more important to hit close to your protein macro to help minimize loss of lean muscle mass... (I've been crap at protein this week as well, ugh)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Doeena1975 wrote: »

I've just been worried about staying within my calories. The only macros I really worry about are the sugar and sodium...I think I'm getting the hang of the sugar but the sodium some days...whoa!

...sugar is a carb btw and unless you have a medical reason to watch them...eh.
  • HollandOats
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Protein and Fat are also more satiating, as they take longer to digest, so trying to get good amounts of those in there should help make you feel fuller throughout the day, even on a deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Protein and Fat are also more satiating, as they take longer to digest, so trying to get good amounts of those in there should help make you feel fuller throughout the day, even on a deficit.

carbs give you energy for movement and exercise...

It is actually best to try to hit the min on all of them...

• DoreenaV1975
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @HollandOats - I don't have a problem w/ hunger even when staying under my calories so I'm no looking for a way to keep me fuller, longer.... but I didn't think about the loss of "lean muscle mass"... that's good info! Thanks!
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Doeena1975 wrote: »

...sugar is a carb btw and unless you have a medical reason to watch them...eh.

@SezxyStef - I have no reason to watch carbs... but suspect too much sugar is not good for you!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If it fits, I eat it. If it doesn't, I either eat a smaller portion or don't eat it. Sometimes I use my evening snacks to round out macros.

For example, if I have no fat left, a bit of protein, and a tiny bit of carbs left at snacktime at night, I might eat a 0% Flavored Greek Yogurt.

If perhaps I have had a protein heavy day, but am really low on carbs and fat ... Ice cream ..

No fat, No protein, but tons of carbs left at the end of the day? Gorge on fruit.

The short answer is: You fit your macros through data analysis and being aware of what you eat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging helps.