strength training?

Options
I do lots of cardio, but I need some help with beginner's strength training ideas........

Replies

• snflwr04
    snflwr04 Posts: 46
    Options
    bump! Same here - only I hate doing strength training.
  • sjbreeden
    sjbreeden Posts: 10
    Options
    I HATE lifting weights - it's so boring to me! But if you belong to a gym, there are other great options out there. At the Y where I go, we have TNT and RAW classes (not sure what they stand for!); you use handweights, medicine balls, tubes, ankle weights and exercise to music. It's much more fun than lifting free weights or using the weight machines, and having other folks there and listening to upbeat music keeps me motivated. I'm definitely getting stronger and more toned; it's a great addition to my cardio workouts! We also have TRX straps; it's a system designed by the Navy to work out in a small space. You lift your own body weight against the straps, and work at your own level. You increase resistance by changing the angle of your body.

Other folks on MFP use DVDs like 30 Day Shred, Insanity, etc - those might work for you, too.

Find something fun, and just DO IT!!! You'll love the results!
  • tidwelljw
    tidwelljw Posts: 146
    Options
    What are the goals you have set for stregth trainning? Are you wanting to do body part specific trainning or a total body workout a couple times a week. I can help you come up with some ideas if I knew what you were looking for.
  • jillmadden
    jillmadden Posts: 2
    Options
    Strength training is my fav! I was never into it then did P90X and now I am hooked on strength training. The key is to work more than one muscle group at a time. So grab some 5, 8 or 10 lb handweights (or use a resistance band) and do combination exercises 3 times a week. Bicep curls while doing lunges, overhead tricp extensions while doing squats, shoulder raises while doing calf raises (just up on yout tip toes then down). Typically lighter weight with more repetitions will give you the sleek look you crave. Less reps with higher weight is what builds bulk. I do not want bulk and I do 12-15 reps with 8-12 lb weights for all my exercises and no bulk. Just toning. That's what we all want right!! :happy:
  • penne356
    penne356 Posts: 95
    Options
    Strength training is my fav! I was never into it then did P90X and now I am hooked on strength training. The key is to work more than one muscle group at a time. So grab some 5, 8 or 10 lb handweights (or use a resistance band) and do combination exercises 3 times a week. Bicep curls while doing lunges, overhead tricp extensions while doing squats, shoulder raises while doing calf raises (just up on yout tip toes then down). Typically lighter weight with more repetitions will give you the sleek look you crave. Less reps with higher weight is what builds bulk. I do not want bulk and I do 12-15 reps with 8-12 lb weights for all my exercises and no bulk. Just toning. That's what we all want right!! :happy:

Thanks a lot for this! What kind of results have you seen yet?
  • robdog316
    robdog316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I recomend this program for any female. Covers everything you need to know.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • snflwr04
    snflwr04 Posts: 46
    Options
    What are the goals you have set for stregth trainning? Are you wanting to do body part specific trainning or a total body workout a couple times a week. I can help you come up with some ideas if I knew what you were looking for.

I'm all ears. I, too, think that weight lifting is boring. Though, I do know that it is the ONLY way for me to achieve the body that I want. I have tons of loose skin (I've lost 90 lbs) and weights are the only way to tighten it up. I just despise doing it.
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Awhhhh thanks to all who replied. It's so nice to have a support group!!!! You have no idea!

I've lost 14 lbs, and I feel really great. I've got so much more energy, and actually just sitting around watching tv or movies DRIVES ME CRAZY! It rained all weekend, and I was away for the weekend, so I didn't get to do hardly anything active, and I really, really missed it!

I really want to tone up my abs, get rid of that stupid muffin top and tone up my upper arms. I'm not so concerned with the scales anymore, I really just want to tone up, and "find" those muscles. I'm only 5'2, so anything around my middle seems really noticeable.

I've been wondering about the P90X, was it seems so intense, for someone who does NO strength training, it kinda scares me! lol I did buy the 30 day shred yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to even open the box.

I am a single mom with two pre-teen daughters and I work fullt-time, plus we don't have a gym in our area. I did buy a set of three kettleweights, and I put up a chin-up bar (which I can only do one - two chin-ups at a time). This morning, I jumped rope for something different.

Thanks again, for the support and for taking the time to bother to reply. Greatly appreciated :flowerforyou: