Weight won't come off

Options
I'm 5'4" 207 lbs and want to get to 150. I'm big boned so I'm never going to be small. I've lost about 25 lbs but it's like I'm stuck here. I eat decently, walk usually 5 days a week and go to tabata usually at least once if not twice a week. I'm 24 years old and hypothyroid which makes my matabolism slower than normal. I can't really cut out anythig else or excercise any more. Any suggestions of anything to do or what I'm doing wrong? I do eat before I excercise, usually protein bars.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    are you weighing and accurately logging your food to a calorie defecit?

is your hyperthyroid condition being adequately medicated
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food or using measuring cups/spoons? If it's the latter, you are probably eating more than you think.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    what does eat decently mean exactly? are u logging accurately ? are u having cheat days?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Please set your food diary to open/public if you would like detailed and potentially meaningful input.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How long have you been 'stuck' at 25 lbs loss?

Are you weighing your food on a food scale? Do you log your intake everyday?
  • DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters about weighing and accurate logging. Also, don't take anything for granted:
    - some online recipes under estimate calories/serving (I've seen underestimations as much as 40%)
    - double check the MFP calories (and nutrients) with what's actually printed on the container
    - try not to overestimate your exercise burn (then eat-back that estimate)
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The only way to know the reason your weight loss has slowed is to track your food religiously for a period...some people resort to pre packaged meals like lean cuisine or nutrisystem or Jennie Craig so there isn't any margin for error in calculating food. (I am not suggesting you go on a food program long term... Just suggesting that it is a tool if your food tracking isn't working for you or if there is a concern about errors.

Once you have the calories in thing figured out and you know 100% that you are eating at a deficit...take a look at you activity level. Start tracking how much time you spend sitting versus moving. It is a huge eye opener for many to learn how sedentry they really are. Are you intentionally taking the stairs and parking at the far end of the parking lot?

I won't argue that medications can really mess with weight loss. Definitely have this discussion with your doctor.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How do you know that your bones are big?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Besides having hypothyroidism, do you have any other medical issues (i.e. pre-diabetic). If you have anything that mimics insulin resistance, you could benefit from a lower carb diet (which is NOT to say go on without any carbs or sugars). Lower carb can mean up to 35% of your daily allowance of calories (you can set the target in MFP to this and it will automatically calculate how many grams that is for you). Balance your diet to see what makes you full and is lower calories. Good luck!
  • Saritarose
    Saritarose Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Cut out the sugar. Try going 21 days with minimal to no sugar (this includes fake sugar) and you will not only see a loss, you will feel so much better and kick many carb cravings that you have.

I have hypothyroidism as well - take 88mcg levothyroxin daily - and over time I got up to 255lbs. I'm now 205lbs (5'7" 35 yo) and still losing. Biggest changes I made were to cut out packaged foods as much as possible, eat lots of fruit, veggies, and meat (whole foods, again - not prepackaged), cut out the sugar, cut out the FAKE sugar, and drink water throughout the day. I exercise 3-5x/week and recently moved from elliptical running to a boot camp so I could build more muscle and push myself harder.

You may also need to add weights as I did. The more muscle, the more calories you burn sitting still!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother measuring your big bonedness until you are at a normal BMI. People who are overweight have bigger bones. At a normal BMI, the relative size of your bones may have meaning, but not until then.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food or using measuring cups/spoons? If it's the latter, you are probably eating more than you think.

This
  • carolinagirl72390
    carolinagirl72390 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Using the app and most days consume less calories than needed. Eating a lot of salads and when I'm home whatever my mom cooks just not a lot of it. Guessing portion sizes when I add it in on the app and I think I'm getting it close to right. Don't eat much sugars/drinks. Maybe one a week. Drink usually 8 cups of water a day. Doc has me on armorthyroid for hypothyroidism.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Salads can have a lot more calories than you realize.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Using the app and most days consume less calories than needed. Eating a lot of salads and when I'm home whatever my mom cooks just not a lot of it. Guessing portion sizes when I add it in on the app and I think I'm getting it close to right. Don't eat much sugars/drinks. Maybe one a week. Drink usually 8 cups of water a day. Doc has me on armorthyroid for hypothyroidism.

So you arent weighing and probably eating more than you realise. You need to find out. Thinking you are getting it close to right isnt as good as atually getting it right and being at deficit.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The key word in your post is "guessing"....
  • Rimfakse
    Rimfakse Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother measuring your big bonedness until you are at a normal BMI. People who are overweight have bigger bones. At a normal BMI, the relative size of your bones may have meaning, but not until then.

No...I am 130 Ibs and 5'7, I have legitimately big bones. Which means that my bones are wide, also broad shoulders and hips (and hourglass figure). But the weight of my bones was exactly the same when I was 20 Ibs heavier. Being obese/overweight/average/underweight doesn't influence the weight of your bones.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just two things. Firstly there is no such thing as "big boned" really, yeah some people(me for example) have a large ribcage (40" or so), slightly broader shoulders or different shaped waist but other than that everyone has a similar skeleton mass relative to their size.

Secondly the American Thyroid Association has stated that any issues to do with a thyroid will result in a maximum of 25lbs of weight gain. And even that is just 25lbs of not being careful. There isnt a condition out there that goes againt Thermodynamics.

So the problem must result elsewhere...

"Using the app and most days consume less calories than needed. Eating a lot of salads and when I'm home whatever my mom cooks just not a lot of it. Guessing portion sizes when I add it in on the app and I think I'm getting it close to right"

Right here is the problem. How much are you over when you go over? 25 calories or 250? More? Those numbers add up fast. Secondly Guessing portion sizes, this is what I suspect the problem is. You say you think youre getting close to right? Id bet my right nut you're not, which is the cause of this stop in weight loss, I guarantee it.

The fact you have to remember 100% of the time is if you consume less calories than you use you literally have to get the energy from somewhere, you HAVE to otherwise its impossible to do "work"(both the scientific definition and casual definition). The two main sources of energy your body has are muscle and fat, you lose a bit of both if you just eat at a defecit and dont work hard to maintain the muscle, but either would result in your scale weight dropping. If this isnt happening, you're taking in energy and the same rate you're using it or taking in more than you're using.

Sorry if any of this seemed overly blunt, but its better not to mince words and waste time. If you have any other questions/need some good motivation just send me a friend req./PM.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

This is your problem. Don't 'guess' at serving sizes! You need to use a food scale and weigh and measure your food to accurately know what you are eating. You are eating more than you think. Most of us cannot accurately judge a portion size. That's what got us where we are to begin with. I've been weighing, measuring and logging for 3 years and I still get myself into trouble every. single. time. I try and eyeball a portion.

Also, hypothyroidism might make weight loss slower than others, but it won't stop it, especially if you are properly medicated. It just takes more patience and diligence. I am speaking from experience!