Please someone talk me out of grabbing a MacDonalds for dinner!?

Options
Ok, so i've been dieting again for the past 5 weeks, aiming for as low-carb as possible, using Primal/Paleo ideas as a loose template. So far i have lost 8lbs in total, 3lbs of which have been in the past few days since i started tracking calories properly. So i guess thats good progress, but i cant help but feel i should be losing way more seeing as i am only 'allowed' 1,200 calories max, and ive been in deficit past few days. Only eating 1200 calories or less is so limiting and im already running out of meal ideas that fit in with the very low carb theme.

So here i am, sick with flu, tired, hungry, fed up, n no ideas for dinner other than grabbing a MacDonalds. Im reeeeeally craving a BigMac, Fries, Milkshake, the lot!.. But i know nomatter how good it tastes i will feel like total cr@p straight after finishing it, and then i'll just feel even more fat and disgusting.

Ugh. I hate these days. Ive been strong so far and genuinely preferred eating healthy nutritious food, but im seriously craving the bad stuff today. I think a lot of is because yesterday i had to go out and i knew id be drinking alcohol (i know i should have stayed off the beer but i was meeting with a close friend who was very sad and they wanted a drink with me and i didnt want to come accross unhelpful, lol, so i planned for 2 cans of strong beer and stuck to that, and i had to go without my lunch and dinner to stay within my allotted calories) so i think part of these cravings are to do with messing with my blood sugars yesterday maybe? I mean its so early in my weight-loss journey to start messing up already! If i was to give in tonight and have the blessed BigMac, what would happen the next day and the day after that if my resolve wavered? Id be off the wagon before accomplishing anything. Aaarrggghhhh! My head is in turmoil. I feel so cr@p today. What do i do?

Someone pleeeease offer me some wise advice. Even if it's just "Girl, step AWAY from the BigMac!" :)

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1 - why are you limited to 1200 max? That does not sound right. MFP's minimum goal intake is 1200 + exercise.

2 - you need realistic expectations on what you can realistically lose per week, on average. What is your total daily burn? Probably 4,000-5,000 calories which would make it easy to lose 3-5 pounds a week. Probably more like 2,000-3,000 depending on your stats & activity level.

3 - you can eat McDonalds, or anything else. Just be aware of the food choices you make and how they fit into your calorie budget. (Which will make more sense by thinking heavily on comments 1-2.)
  • Jenndynamite
    Jenndynamite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Step away. Maybe go online a read how that food is not food and all the chemicals that are in it. Or, make that meal at home, in a healthy Paleo way. You can have a wonderful juicy hamburger patty you make yourself with all the veggie fixings and baked potatoe wedges. Yum!
  • Gemzzz12
    Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have been doing pretty well so far so don't ruin it. :D Also out of all the healthy foods you go for MacDonalds!? So many nicer alternatives. :P Also you dont know what they put in their burgers, probably mashed up bones and hair..
    Did that work? :P Have a nice evening!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So if i understand correctly, you havent eaten anything since breakfast yesterday? Look up MacDonald's nutrition info online and plan a meal that fits your calories and sounds yummy. Go get it and enjoy it.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad to have some guilty pleasures once in awhile... I just think you should maybe not have all 3. I vote for the Big Mac (cuz they are damn good) and nothing else or a healthy side if you need more food to fill you up... then you have a little treat that you love w/out going totally overboard! I find when I splurge just a little I feel satisfied for a long time before I need to do so again. If I splurge a lot... I just hate myself! LOL

But if you really want to be talked out of it, here goes... JUST DON'T!!!! Hahahahahaha!
    Whatever you chose to do, don't beat yourself up, just make better choices next time!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Big Macs don't even have that many calories. Plus they're pretty nutritious, for what it's worth.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I will say that I think being super restrictive is a recipe for unhappiness, cravings and binging...

That said, grab yourself some ground beef and make a nice fat burger at home.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why should we? You're the one that wants to eat it. You either go eat it or tell yourself not to eat it. A bunch of strangers can't make decisions for you.

Its called support, love.

• DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Gemzzz12 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have been doing pretty well so far so don't ruin it. :D Also out of all the healthy foods you go for MacDonalds!? So many nicer alternatives. :P Also you dont know what they put in their burgers, probably mashed up bones and hair..
    Did that work? :P Have a nice evening!

If it tastes good I don't care what's in it! LOL!
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've go no issues with eating something different every once in a while (if it fits my calories) -- but.. If you are going to treat yourself, TREAT YOURSELF to SOMETHING GOOD!! Not crappy McDonalds!
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Why should we? You're the one that wants to eat it. You either go eat it or tell yourself not to eat it. A bunch of strangers can't make decisions for you.

Its called support, love.

• CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options

Its called support, love. Isnt that the point of being part of a community? - to help each other through the journey?

• wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've go no issues with eating something different every once in a while (if it fits my calories) -- but.. If you are going to treat yourself, TREAT YOURSELF to SOMETHING GOOD!! Not crappy McDonalds!

Precisely my thoughts. Go get yourself some quality steak or something :-)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I know for me if I dont eat what i really want I end up eating a bunch of junk that I really did not want. One bad meal is not going to kill all of your hard work. Exercise a little more to burn off more calories. You could always get a cheeseburger and add the mac sauce to it!!
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Not very helpful, but I often grab a McChicken Patty from there when I get out of work late at night. I don't get the mayo/lettuce or bun, so it only comes out to ~160cals per patty. I find it rather filling and it doesn't give me any blah feelings... There are low cal options like their grilled chicken salad, but be mindful when getting the dressing!

And as @StaciMarie1974 said, it's not very realistic to be losing 3-5lbs a week. Don't get discouraged if you don't lose right away, and don't expect to lose a lot fast! And also, if you DO exercise, up your intake a bit. You don't have to limit yourself to 1200! It's just a building block MFP has set up for you!
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I want something that will make me go way over my daily calories, I ask myself "is it worth it?"

"Worth it" to me can be many things - is what I want to eat worth me possibly feeling like crap after I eat it? Is what I want to eat worth me possibly gaining weight the next time I am scheduled to record my weight? Is what I want to eat worth it if it sets me back a few more days from my goals? Occasionally the answer is yes. Usually it is no. But you have to decide for yourself if it is "worth it" for you or not.

Good luck! :smile:
  • heidim44444
    heidim44444 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I go to McDonalds, I like to get the Southwest salad with grilled chicken. i like it and it isn't terrible for me. Sometimes you have to eat out if you on a road trip or something, so I like to know what is a decent choice even at fast food.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    STOP!! DOn't go to McDonalds!!
    ea9c458584f14cf7866ca2e4dd2fb382.jpg

wendys-girl-2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.