Please someone talk me out of grabbing a MacDonalds for dinner!?

Options

Replies

• Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you can limit yourself to one fast food outing a week, you're not going to hurt anything assuming you've stayed within your calories the rest of the week. My rule of thumb is that I have a target to meet scale wise each week. As long as I've hit that goal, I'll allow myself a little indulgence with some yummy food.

I know the anti-McDonalds zealots will try to talk you out of it, but if giving in every now and then makes it easier to stay on track the rest of the time, do it. It works for me.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    STOP!! DOn't go to McDonalds!!
    ea9c458584f14cf7866ca2e4dd2fb382.jpg

wendys-girl-2.jpg

I lol'd.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    OMG I love "McDonalds"! Damn! What "gourmet fast food" restaurants are you all eating at! LOL! Fast Food is bad period so why is McDonalds considered more evil than the others! Although I do prefer "Carls Jrs" because their burgers are nice and hefty and "Bakers" because they have more choices, but as far as "McDonalds" goes... I think they are scrumptious as well! Best. Fries. Ever! Poor "McDonalds"!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Probably wasn't wise to go without food for 2 meals just because you had beer. Restricting yourself like that is bound to cause a binge. I suggest eating a snack with carbs and protein before dinner time so that you aren't craving it as badly. Plan your meals ahead of time, when you aren't hungry and having cravings.

If you do end up going to McDs.. consider getting the 6 piece kids meal. It only has 450 calories, and 70 carbs.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    A side salad with half the dressing and 6 piece nuggets with no sauce rings in around 385 calories. It's low carb, has decent nutrition, and sure beats having to cook for yourself.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    A little bit of McDonald's won't hurt you, but if you really want to be talked out of it, just stick your head in their restroom and remember that their employees are washing their hands in there.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    1 - why are you limited to 1200 max? That does not sound right. MFP's minimum goal intake is 1200 + exercise.

2 - you need realistic expectations on what you can realistically lose per week, on average. What is your total daily burn? Probably 4,000-5,000 calories which would make it easy to lose 3-5 pounds a week. Probably more like 2,000-3,000 depending on your stats & activity level.

3 - you can eat McDonalds, or anything else. Just be aware of the food choices you make and how they fit into your calorie budget. (Which will make more sense by thinking heavily on comments 1-2.)

Thanks so much for your *helpful* response! ;)

2> Why only 1200 calories? Because that is the figure MFP came up with, given that i am only 5ft1" tall and currently weigh 143lbs. I am not able to exercise at the moment, so my activity level is low. Im not sure what my resting metabolism is.

3> True, to be honest discussing it outloud is making me more aware of how i feel about making a bad food choice.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    PUT THE BIG MAC DOWN!!!!!
    ;)
    Have a plan next time! I keep cup o noodles and cans of chili for when I need something easy and comforting.
    Since you're sick and aren't likely to exercise any to "earn" the big mac. You'll have to go without. You will feel gross after having a big mac, fries, and a milkshake. But would having a small hamburger and an icecream cone calm the inner cravings?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    First, try upping your daily calories to something more realistic. 1200 sounds too low for you to stick with. Try 1400 or 1500. Next, I would go to McDonald's if your cravings are really that intense. But, maybe just have the burger and not the fries and shake. Log the burger (you should be able to find nutritional info online), don't worry about going over your calories for ONE DAY, and get back on track tomorrow. Just do not make a habit of it. Having something you crave every once in a while as a treat will help you not feel deprived and you will be more likely to stick with it in the long run.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i've been dieting again for the past 5 weeks, aiming for as low-carb ......Someone pleeeease offer me some wise advice. Even if it's just "Girl, step AWAY from the BigMac!" :)

Okay so just eat everything but the bun!

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    why do you feel like crap after eating it. thats the part i dont get. if you want it, it fits into your daily intake eat it.
    i still enjoy a mcdonalds i just dont eat it as much as i used to .
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Yes!! Step away. Maybe go online a read how that food is not food and all the chemicals that are in it. Or, make that meal at home, in a healthy Paleo way. You can have a wonderful juicy hamburger patty you make yourself with all the veggie fixings and baked potatoe wedges. Yum!

I LOVE you! Hahaha, now THIS is why i posted asking for support! Thankyou so much for wise advice and a really great alternative meal idea. I really appreciate that. x

• CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Gemzzz12 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have been doing pretty well so far so don't ruin it. :D Also out of all the healthy foods you go for MacDonalds!? So many nicer alternatives. :P Also you dont know what they put in their burgers, probably mashed up bones and hair..
    Did that work? :P Have a nice evening!

Haha, yup that worked! ;)))))))

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    So if i understand correctly, you havent eaten anything since breakfast yesterday? Look up MacDonald's nutrition info online and plan a meal that fits your calories and sounds yummy. Go get it and enjoy it.

I am with this poster. I love McDonalds and they have many healthy low cal choices/ and I eat their fries. love their fries.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Prelog the food you want from McDonald's. Does any of it fit your calories? If it does then have some.

I think you are making a mistake starting out too intensely restricted and will often have moments like this where a friend wants to drink, you have a craving, there is an event with food that doesn't fit your plan. Can you do primal/paleo and 1200 calories long term? I would consider a less restrictive calorie goal to start with and lower it after you lose if you need to.

Thinking of foods as good, bad, or feeling you are fat or disgusting for eating something is a difficult mind set. You do know that people can get fat on plain homemade grilled skinless chicken and vegetables if they go consistantly eat more than they burn? People don't only get fat because they eat fast food and you are not disgusting for being overweight and eating.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Calculate how many calories that will be if you get it. Then ask yourself if it's worth it. Maybe it is -- maybe it's worth it to treat yourself tonight and then increase your exercise for the next few days to make up for it -- and maybe it isn't.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    So if i understand correctly, you havent eaten anything since breakfast yesterday? Look up MacDonald's nutrition info online and plan a meal that fits your calories and sounds yummy. Go get it and enjoy it.

No, i ate breakfast and lunch today, just have my dinner calories left. It was yesterday i had to go without lunch and dinner to accomodate the hellish calories of 2 cans of strong beer. And no, it was no worth it!

• CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Big Macs don't even have that many calories. Plus they're pretty nutritious, for what it's worth.

Not as far as i knew! Plus im low carb, so the white bread is a no-no really :(
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with McDonalds every once in a while. Eat it.
This discussion has been closed.