5k training/motivation

Options
I just recently ran my first 5k and loved it. I did this for a personal goal in top of bettering my health. However, since then I have found very little motivation to continue to train in my daily walks/runs. I would like to run another race within the next two months and on top of jogging I have joined a local gym. I could really use some motivation/accountability and I would love to help do the same for another. Please feel free to add me.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you do not enjoy running, and it was just a matter of accomplishing a personal goal, then maybe it is time to set a different goal? Either for running, or a completely different sport?
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you trained and did it as a goal and now you don't want to, move on to something more enjoyable or set another goal....like 10k in two months or something.

Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Becca29tx wrote: »
    I just recently ran my first 5k and loved it. I did this for a personal goal in top of bettering my health. However, since then I have found very little motivation to continue to train in my daily walks/runs.

Personally I find that my training is more sustainable if I'm following some kind of plan. I don't find just going out and running particularly sustainable unless I've got some purpose for it.

I'd support the suggestion of setting new goals, perhaps improving your 5K time, or working up to a longer distance.

Personally I'm not keen on 5K as a distance, 10K is the point where sessions are long enough to be enjoyable in their own right, but the mileage isn't as demanding as you can stick to around 20-25 miles per week and make considerable improvement. Much beyond that it can start taking over your life.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    A lot of people suffer post race blues for a while. You may be a runner that needs a race in their future to keep training. Pick and enter another race, it may help with your motivation.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i suffer from post race blues. the cure is a preventative measure- always have another race down the line.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Before giving up simply because you have no motivation right now, I suggest looking into another race. It sounds like your motivation was entirely due to the first race, but that that you have no race set as your goal you have no interest. If you are uninterested in running even with a firm goal set, then I would suggest maybe running is not for you.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    i suffer from post race blues. the cure is a preventative measure- always have another race down the line.

Yup. I always have another A-race already planned before I even get to the starting line of the A-race I am currently training for. I, too, suffer from post-A-race blues if I don't do this. I need to have something to look towards.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Before giving up simply because you have no motivation right now, I suggest looking into another race. It sounds like your motivation was entirely due to the first race, but that that you have no race set as your goal you have no interest. If you are uninterested in running even with a firm goal set, then I would suggest maybe running is not for you.

i don't think this is entirely true. OP is a new runner, and just because she loses motivation for a bit after a race- which is really common- doesn't mean that running is not for her.

OP, i don't know how long ago your race was, but it's completely normal to have some post races blues and not want to train. take a little time off, and then get back to it. if you are new to running, don't go crazy trying to extend your race distance too quickly. stick with 5ks for a while, and maybe a 10k if you want to challenge yourself. building speed is something many runners neglect (including yours truly) because they want to go further.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Been there felt that. I had a goal to run three 5K's my first summer of my healthy life style. I ended up doing five races and then decided I didn't like running. I still run to maintain my weight loss but decided I needed to set a new goal for this summer. So the goal is to run 3.5 miles which is mostly uphill and I mean steep uphill run. I would say about 1/2 mile of it is flat the rest is steep.

Like others have said set yourself a new goal!!! Maybe hiking, swimming, or biking!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Been there felt that. I had a goal to run three 5K's my first summer of my healthy life style. I ended up doing five races and then decided I didn't like running. I still run to maintain my weight loss but decided I needed to set a new goal for this summer. So the goal is to run 3.5 miles which is mostly uphill and I mean steep uphill run. I would say about 1/2 mile of it is flat the rest is steep.

Like others have said set yourself a new goal!!! Maybe hiking, swimming, or biking!

you run a lot for someone that doesn't like running. maybe you do like running.
  • Becca29tx
    Becca29tx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you. The point is I DO like to run. I sort of have a love/hate relationship with it. Not everyone finds it easy and motivation can be hard at times. I dont think saying it is not for me is entirely true. I loved that first 5k. I love being fit and setting new goals. I do appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't know which country you're in but see if there is a local parkrun http://www.parkrun.com/
    Also might be worth seeing if there is a local running club with a beginners group. Running with a group brought my running on hugely and made it far more enjoyable.
  • Becca29tx
    Becca29tx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :) that is a great idea. Thank you!