Stationary bicycle effort

Hello good people of MFP :)

I have a question. I go on the stationary bicycle at the gym sometimes, but when I log I'm always unsure as to which one to go with, 'very light', 'light', 'moderate', or 'vigorous' effort. What's the difference, really? Is it just a haphazard guess of how much effort you FEEL LIKE you put in? Or maybe something to do with heart rate? Opinions please? :)

Replies

• DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    I would say its based on Resistance used, HR, Intensity and RPM. IE: I do a interval session on my spin bike for 30 mins alternating between all out 90+ RPM ,high resistance for 30 secs then 10 secs recovery with 5 mins warm up each end. I would class this as Vigorous effort.

However, I also do a Hour at 80prm mid resistance which I would class as Moderate so hopefully that gives you some idea as to where you fall in your training.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Calories burned cycling or riding a bike is influenced by body weight, intensity of exercise, conditioning level and metabolism.

What data is available from the bike? What distance, what speed? very light 7 light >10 Moderate>16 Vigorous>20 Very vigorous 21+ mph. Its all estimates though.
  • K_saine
    K_saine Posts: 58 Member
    Everytime I put in for the bike, no matter what effort I put in the calorie count is off. I usually select light effort (even if I work hard) and then change the calorie count to what the bike tells me I burned.
  • kerry981
    kerry981 Posts: 8 Member
    Still not 100% accurate, but I found this site helpful in calculating burn on a stationary bike. http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

It doesn't factor in resistance but at least it factors weight and height.