Success Stories for the older generation

Options
I would love to see some success pics from people over the age of 40

Replies

• lorilynnmckee
    lorilynnmckee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Me, too! Good question. I'm also curious about yoyo diet success and plateaus at this age (I'm 55). I lost about 20 pounds on Weight Watchers, couple years ago, then gained about 8 pounds back. The story goes that the weight sticks around longer when you lose and then gain back and also is harder to lose the older you get (my mother confirms this). Is there ANY way around this? How can I lose those last 10 (or 20 would be great) for GOOD?
  • lorilynnmckee
    lorilynnmckee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So - there's my "success story". At age 53, I lost 20 pounds! I really didn't think I could lose 5, and still am not sure how I did it, other than counting points on WW. I THINK I concentrated on smaller portions and saying "no" more often, but I pretty much ate WHAT I wanted, just less of it. Not sure if that still works? Trying it now - heh.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am 54 yrs old and I have been maintaining my weight of 112 lbs for over 8 months now. I lost a total of 22 lbs. Last year I had a heart attack and it was a wake up call to get fit and healthy. Thanks to MFP I have never felt better. I have change my eating habits and I walk daily. I average 5-6 miles daily first thing in the morning. I just took up golf and I love it.
    d04aqnaw62bd.jpg
    before
    odibvw0kxilm.jpg
    after

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread--and super good job ladies--you all are looking fabulous! I'll be so GLAD when I can add a success story...I'll be at this battle of the bulge (trying to lose 50lbs) for 3+ years now, with no real/lasting success for me :'( --YET! o:)
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds in the last year and maintained since Labor day, right now I'm aiming to lose another 12 then I'll be done. It can be done and honestly I didn't really have that much trouble losing it. Oh yeah I'm 54
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 32 lbs over the last year or so although I see it creeping back up. I got away from logging when I had a few things going on in my family the last 6 weeks but I'm back at it this week and refocused. I would still like to lose a few lbs before my 50th in July.
  • SueA1957
    SueA1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm about to celebrate my 58th birthday on Sunday and would describe myself as fit and healthy. I've been going to slimming world classes and have had excellent support there, of that there's no doubt, but, but, but I'm NOT LOSING. I have decided to focus totally on my fitness pal as I need to lose 1 and a half stone. I successfully lost over a stone on WW a few years ago so I know I can do it!
    ;)
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 185 I am currently at 144 still have some work to do but heading in the right direction. I started in November but really started using mfp in January. I am 49. age is just a number!
    1q2g004cl3bm.jpg

hp8nwa6tklof.jpg

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    HEY, you said older generation. I'm only in my 40's. I was expecting geriatrics.
  • wils5150
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    HEY, you said older generation. I'm only in my 40's. I was expecting geriatrics.

always young at heart though!
  • SueA1957
    Options
    I'm currently 10st 13. Not great at 5ft 3ins. Need to get on it!
  • scarey850
    scarey850 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I need some ideas on how to get off this yoyo I'm on. I have been on this yoyo with my weight between 129lbs & 135lbs since I lost 25lbs on Nutri-System 3 years. I am 5'2" & my goal is to get down to 118lbs. I eat very healthy & work out 2 to 3 times a week & drink lots of water. I just turned 60 in March & started using MFP hoping something would show up that I was missing. I have been keeping very good tract of everything I eat & logging all my exercise in as well as trying to do 10,000 steps per day but I still am on a yoyo between 130lbs & 135lbs. I can't seem to get past that 130 mark!
  • wils5150
    Options
    SueA1957 wrote: »
    I'm currently 10st 13. Not great at 5ft 3ins. Need to get on it!

You will get there Sue!
  • SueA1957
    Options
    Thanks I need to!!
  • wils5150
    Options
    scarey850 wrote: »
    I need some ideas on how to get off this yoyo I'm on. I have been on this yoyo with my weight between 129lbs & 135lbs since I lost 25lbs on Nutri-System 3 years. I am 5'2" & my goal is to get down to 118lbs. I eat very healthy & work out 2 to 3 times a week & drink lots of water. I just turned 60 in March & started using MFP hoping something would show up that I was missing. I have been keeping very good tract of everything I eat & logging all my exercise in as well as trying to do 10,000 steps per day but I still am on a yoyo between 130lbs & 135lbs. I can't seem to get past that 130 mark!

what worked for me and is still is weighing my food. I was never really good at eye balling it. The closer I get to my goal the more important it is for me.
  • scarey850
    Options
    So you think it's better to measure it by weight. I have measuring my food by ounces & cups.
  • wils5150
    Options
    solids by ounces or grams and liquids by cups is the most accurate i think
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Weighing is less prone to error but somehow I manage mostly with measurements and eye-balling, right on track with my target loss which is 2kg a week.

As for success stories... I am 53 and am very much still a work in progress. I started last September (2014) 26kg heavier where I weighed in at 116kg / 255lbs at my heaviest. I'm currently 87kg / 193lbs. I might still be overweight, but 200 grams from now I will no longer be technically obese. That's a win.

I'm optimistically shooting for being at or near my goal weight by my birthday this September (2015). The first half was, honestly, relatively easy. I'm expecting it to become more challenging the closer I get.

So while not done yet I've made enough progress that I think I can declare a success on the fitness front. I feel... fantastic. I've not felt this good in quite a few years. I run anywhere from 120km to 200km monthly at present and will only get fitter and faster as I shed the remaining 17kg.

mw-loss-series-to-May2015-1024px.jpg

It'll be time for another photo soon!
  • scarey850
    Options
    Thx for suggestions. Will try that for a bit & see if that makes any changes.
    And congratulations on all ur successes!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Older generation?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!