Am I eating clean or not?

Options

Replies

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You're right, I have been brazenly eating dirty and haven't cared much, although I do follow discussions on the topic. As a result, I've been reconsidering a few things and wondering how clean eating is different from the way I eat and what it would take and would it be worth it to move the dial more to the clean side.

I'm all over that Jiffy cornbread mix (and the beer.) See, I love cornbread but if I have to make it from scratch, it will be a very rare treat. That's my real objection to clean eating as I had understood the term...the effort and time it takes.

Thanks for the replies. Plenty to think about.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You're right, I have been brazenly eating dirty and haven't cared much, although I do follow discussions on the topic. As a result, I've been reconsidering a few things and wondering how clean eating is different from the way I eat and what it would take and would it be worth it to move the dial more to the clean side.

I'm all over that Jiffy cornbread mix (and the beer.) See, I love cornbread but if I have to make it from scratch, it will be a very rare treat. That's my real objection to clean eating as I had understood the term...the effort and time it takes.

This is a big deal breaker for me. I spend more time in the gym, and less time cooking these days. I find I'm less likely to eat small samples of everything during the cooking process if it doesn't take as long, especially if I've just come from the gym. If I'm standing in the kitchen for 3 hours, I'm taking taster bites for 3 hours.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I wasn't trying to spoil the thread, I actually really am intrigued by this question too as I think what you've described is similar to how I eat. I love to cook, but because of my busy schedule, I use convenience foods to help get me to the finish line faster. I don't think that makes my food "unhealthy". I try not to label the food one way or another, I just try to eat good food and some days it is better nutritionally than others. Today I think I'm doing a bangin job:

Breakfast: greek yogurt, coffee with coffeemate creamer
    Lunch: leftover grilled tilapia, homemade mango avocado salsa, and a box of frozen mixed veggies
    Snack: Luna Protein Bar
    Dinner (planned): Mango-jalapeno chicken sausage sauteed with frozen mixed veggies (squash, zucchini, red pepper and onion) and a wedge of chipotle laughing cow cheese over either rice or pasta.

~1200 cals so far and I still have close to 700 left for other foods. I'm a little short on protein so I may try to get more of that in there, or, thanks to this thread, I may just look to see if I have any cornbread mix in the pantry.

There will also likely be wine and gelato.

My day is by no means clean, but is it unhealthy? I certainly don't think so.

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My answer would be that it really doesn't matter whether or not you're eating clean. The definitions are so varied and so different and many of them directly contradict each other. If you like the way that you're eating and it makes you feel good, then stick with it! If not, then make changes based on what you need rather than what some magazine, book, or website says you need.

This!
    Unless you could find a pasta that was simply, flour/semolina, water, salt and egg, that would be fine.

Maybe this is my European ignorance, but what the heck else would pasta contain other than flour, water and salt (and egg for some varieties)?
  • lthames0810
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

This is a big deal breaker for me. I spend more time in the gym, and less time cooking these days. I find I'm less likely to eat small samples of everything during the cooking process if it doesn't take as long, especially if I've just come from the gym. If I'm standing in the kitchen for 3 hours, I'm taking taster bites for 3 hours.

Yep, I'm not a very competent cook and I don't really like it much, so spending a lot of time at is stressful. But you also bring up another good reason to be efficient.

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Say, for example, that I make a pot of chili. I buy ground beef, canned beans, canned diced tomatoes and a packet of chili seasoning mix. It takes maybe a half hour to make. Is that considered not clean? Is a pot of chili made from fresh whole foods nutritionally superior? If so, which of these ingredients make the difference?

I routinely use convenience foods and ingredients like deli meats and boxed pasta and boxed cereal. I also use fresh fruits and vegetables along with these. I guess I'm not understanding the nutritional distinction between clean eating and the way I eat.

I would not consider the chili seasoning mix clean. The beans and tomatoes would be a gray area for me depending on the ingredients in them. I prefer grassfed organic ground beef, but I would consider CAFO ground beef to still fall under the clean category.

I would not consider boxed cereal clean unless we're talking about steel cut oats or something. For deli meats, it would depend on the ingredients used and where the meat was sourced. I don't have a problem with boxed pasta, again, depending on the ingredients.

I don't necessarily think there's a huge nutritional distinction except for the different nutritional profile in animal products based on how they were raised and what they were fed, and I don't think there's any one definition of "clean". Everyone will have a different definition so yours is as good as anyone else's. The only glaringly not-clean item is the chili seasoning.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I would look at it as a spectrum, versus a black and white issue. For instance, on the spectrum of clean eating: fresh tomato is probably better than a canned tomato, but a canned tomato is better than a bag of doritos :) This is all nutrionally speaking, not regarding weight loss.

I'm not a fan of these labels, but I suppose I eat "clean" most of the day, in that it's food that isn't highly processed. Your chili sounds great. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Say, for example, that I make a pot of chili. I buy ground beef, canned beans, canned diced tomatoes and a packet of chili seasoning mix. It takes maybe a half hour to make. Is that considered not clean? Is a pot of chili made from fresh whole foods nutritionally superior? If so, which of these ingredients make the difference?

I routinely use convenience foods and ingredients like deli meats and boxed pasta and boxed cereal. I also use fresh fruits and vegetables along with these. I guess I'm not understanding the nutritional distinction between clean eating and the way I eat.

I would not consider the chili seasoning mix clean. The beans and tomatoes would be a gray area for me depending on the ingredients in them. I prefer grassfed organic ground beef, but I would consider CAFO ground beef to still fall under the clean category.

I would not consider boxed cereal clean unless we're talking about steel cut oats or something. For deli meats, it would depend on the ingredients used and where the meat was sourced. I don't have a problem with boxed pasta, again, depending on the ingredients.

I don't necessarily think there's a huge nutritional distinction except for the different nutritional profile in animal products based on how they were raised and what they were fed, and I don't think there's any one definition of "clean". Everyone will have a different definition so yours is as good as anyone else's. The only glaringly not-clean item is the chili seasoning.

Why is chili seasoning "glaringly" unclean?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    "ground beef, canned beans, canned diced tomatoes and a packet of chili seasoning mix"

I see nothing in that list that would be considered "clean" if clean means it isn't processed. The ground beef is pre-chewed, so you end up digesting it more quickly. The canned beans have added sodium. The diced tomatoes probably have sodium and maybe even sugar added. And who knows what kind of chemicals they put in the seasoning mix.

That being said, other than that fact that I would add a fresh hot habanero pepper and an onion to the recipe, that's exactly how I make chili.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    "ground beef, canned beans, canned diced tomatoes and a packet of chili seasoning mix"

I see nothing in that list that would be considered "clean" if clean means it isn't processed. The ground beef is pre-chewed, so you end up digesting it more quickly. The canned beans have added sodium. The diced tomatoes probably have sodium and maybe even sugar added. And who knows what kind of chemicals they put in the seasoning mix.

That being said, other than that fact that I would add a fresh hot habanero pepper and an onion to the recipe, that's exactly how I make chili.

Canning itself is a form of processing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if it has more than five ingredients it is processed and not clean ...

• ndj1979
    Options

why are canned diced tomatoes not clean????????????
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Wondering the same thing. It's just spices really. Not sure what is wrong with that. I can't imagine "clean" eaters don't use pre-grinded seasonings.

ETA: ingredients from a popular brand.

Chili Pepper And Other Spices (Including Cumin), Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin,&Nbsp;Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Onion, Salt, And Garlic.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    I call 'clean' anything that doesn't cause your body bloat or inflammation. I try to eat as close to nature as possible, but even some 'clean' foods (wheat, milk) cause me to gain pounds and inches from inflammation, slow digestion, and bloating. If eating salty foods makes you swell up the next day, that's probably not 'clean' for you. But if using canned, frozen or boxed foods helps you stick to your goals without adding undue stress to your routine, and if you're continuing to lose at an acceptable rate, then roll with it. Better that than burning out trying to make everything from scratch with whole organics and then falling off the wagon. Your chili sounds good :)

you are gaining pounds from calorie surplus, not eating certain foods. Unless you have a food allergy that you have not listed.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Wondering the same thing. It's just spices really. Not sure what is wrong with that. I can't imagine "clean" eaters don't use pre-grinded seasonings.

I guess maybe it's the flour? I looked up the ingredients of McCormick chili seasoning and got this: Chili Pepper And Other Spices (Including Cumin), Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin,&Nbsp;Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Onion, Salt, And Garlic.
  • ndj1979
    Options

ETA: ingredients from a popular brand.

Chili Pepper And Other Spices (Including Cumin), Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin,&Nbsp;Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Onion, Salt, And Garlic.

anything greater than five ingredients = not clean ..

don't you know bro?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

My guess would be an assumption that there is MSG in the chili seasoning. I don't know that there is, and in fact, I'm pretty sure that the Williams Chili Seasoning packet I buy says "MSG Free" and the Penzey's Chili 3000 spice blend is just a mix of chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and other peppers. But I think clean eaters tend to shy away from anything that is "pre-blended". The horror of convenience you know.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In reference to the OP, I eat 100% clean, 100% of the time. Since there is no real definition, my definition tells me I am a 100% clean eater. In reality though, who cares? Eat a balanced, nutritious diet and let the people who need labels worry about labeling their diet.
  • lthames0810
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

I wasn't trying to spoil the thread, I actually really am intrigued by this question too as I think what you've described is similar to how I eat. I love to cook, but because of my busy schedule, I use convenience foods to help get me to the finish line faster. I don't think that makes my food "unhealthy". I try not to label the food one way or another, I just try to eat good food and some days it is better nutritionally than others. Today I think I'm doing a bangin job:

Breakfast: greek yogurt, coffee with coffeemate creamer
    Lunch: leftover grilled tilapia, homemade mango avocado salsa, and a box of frozen mixed veggies
    Snack: Luna Protein Bar
    Dinner (planned): Mango-jalapeno chicken sausage sauteed with frozen mixed veggies (squash, zucchini, red pepper and onion) and a wedge of chipotle laughing cow cheese over either rice or pasta.

~1200 cals so far and I still have close to 700 left for other foods. I'm a little short on protein so I may try to get more of that in there, or, thanks to this thread, I may just look to see if I have any cornbread mix in the pantry.

There will also likely be wine and gelato.

My day is by no means clean, but is it unhealthy? I certainly don't think so.

That is a bangin' day and I would have thought that's a great idea for dinner. The comments above about the nitrates in sausage give me pause.

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking on another thread on the topic of clean eating. I understand that the definition of "clean" as used on these forums isn't precise and does include some small degree of processing. The argument rages about whether not eating clean can hinder weight loss and compromise health. I don't want to derail that thread with this question about the way I eat which I hope some clean eaters can answer and I ask this humbly and for understanding.

Why so hung up on a vague definition? Why complicate food with a meaningless term?