Am I eating clean or not?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - hopefully, this thread is making you realize that the whole "clean eating" notion is a preponderence of BS. Honestly, just hit your calorie/micro/macro targets and mix in some foods you like and you will do fine. What matters is your overall diet and not an individual food here or there.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Say, for example, that I make a pot of chili. I buy ground beef, canned beans, canned diced tomatoes and a packet of chili seasoning mix. It takes maybe a half hour to make. Is that considered not clean? Is a pot of chili made from fresh whole foods nutritionally superior? If so, which of these ingredients make the difference?

I routinely use convenience foods and ingredients like deli meats and boxed pasta and boxed cereal. I also use fresh fruits and vegetables along with these. I guess I'm not understanding the nutritional distinction between clean eating and the way I eat.

I would not consider the chili seasoning mix clean. The beans and tomatoes would be a gray area for me depending on the ingredients in them. I prefer grassfed organic ground beef, but I would consider CAFO ground beef to still fall under the clean category.

I would not consider boxed cereal clean unless we're talking about steel cut oats or something. For deli meats, it would depend on the ingredients used and where the meat was sourced. I don't have a problem with boxed pasta, again, depending on the ingredients.

I don't necessarily think there's a huge nutritional distinction except for the different nutritional profile in animal products based on how they were raised and what they were fed, and I don't think there's any one definition of "clean". Everyone will have a different definition so yours is as good as anyone else's. The only glaringly not-clean item is the chili seasoning.

Why is chili seasoning "glaringly" unclean?

Wondering the same thing. It's just spices really. Not sure what is wrong with that. I can't imagine "clean" eaters don't use pre-grinded seasonings.

ETA: ingredients from a popular brand.

Chili Pepper And Other Spices (Including Cumin), Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin,&Nbsp;Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Onion, Salt, And Garlic.

anything greater than five ingredients = not clean ..

don't you know bro?

Does this mean if I, say, purchased an olive tapenade made at the store it would be unclean, but if I bought olives, olive oil, lemon, capers, garlic, and salt and made it myself it would be clean?
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I need to duck out of this discussion for a little bit. I look forward to your comments.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    You're right, I have been brazenly eating dirty and haven't cared much, although I do follow discussions on the topic. As a result, I've been reconsidering a few things and wondering how clean eating is different from the way I eat and what it would take and would it be worth it to move the dial more to the clean side.

I'm all over that Jiffy cornbread mix (and the beer.) See, I love cornbread but if I have to make it from scratch, it will be a very rare treat. That's my real objection to clean eating as I had understood the term...the effort and time it takes.

Thanks for the replies. Plenty to think about.

I wasn't trying to spoil the thread, I actually really am intrigued by this question too as I think what you've described is similar to how I eat. I love to cook, but because of my busy schedule, I use convenience foods to help get me to the finish line faster. I don't think that makes my food "unhealthy". I try not to label the food one way or another, I just try to eat good food and some days it is better nutritionally than others. Today I think I'm doing a bangin job:

Breakfast: greek yogurt, coffee with coffeemate creamer
    Lunch: leftover grilled tilapia, homemade mango avocado salsa, and a box of frozen mixed veggies
    Snack: Luna Protein Bar
    Dinner (planned): Mango-jalapeno chicken sausage sauteed with frozen mixed veggies (squash, zucchini, red pepper and onion) and a wedge of chipotle laughing cow cheese over either rice or pasta.

~1200 cals so far and I still have close to 700 left for other foods. I'm a little short on protein so I may try to get more of that in there, or, thanks to this thread, I may just look to see if I have any cornbread mix in the pantry.

There will also likely be wine and gelato.

My day is by no means clean, but is it unhealthy? I certainly don't think so.

That is a bangin' day and I would have thought that's a great idea for dinner. The comments above about the nitrates in sausage give me pause.

Luckily though - no nitrites in mine!

https://aidells.com/product/116
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Say, for example, that I make a pot of chili. I buy ground beef, canned beans, canned diced tomatoes and a packet of chili seasoning mix. It takes maybe a half hour to make. Is that considered not clean? Is a pot of chili made from fresh whole foods nutritionally superior? If so, which of these ingredients make the difference?

I routinely use convenience foods and ingredients like deli meats and boxed pasta and boxed cereal. I also use fresh fruits and vegetables along with these. I guess I'm not understanding the nutritional distinction between clean eating and the way I eat.

I would not consider the chili seasoning mix clean. The beans and tomatoes would be a gray area for me depending on the ingredients in them. I prefer grassfed organic ground beef, but I would consider CAFO ground beef to still fall under the clean category.

I would not consider boxed cereal clean unless we're talking about steel cut oats or something. For deli meats, it would depend on the ingredients used and where the meat was sourced. I don't have a problem with boxed pasta, again, depending on the ingredients.

I don't necessarily think there's a huge nutritional distinction except for the different nutritional profile in animal products based on how they were raised and what they were fed, and I don't think there's any one definition of "clean". Everyone will have a different definition so yours is as good as anyone else's. The only glaringly not-clean item is the chili seasoning.

Wondering the same thing. It's just spices really. Not sure what is wrong with that. I can't imagine "clean" eaters don't use pre-grinded seasonings.

Chili Pepper And Other Spices (Including Cumin), Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin,&Nbsp;Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Onion, Salt, And Garlic.

don't you know bro?

Does this mean if I, say, purchased an olive tapenade made at the store it would be unclean, but if I bought olives, olive oil, lemon, capers, garlic, and salt and made it myself it would be clean?

too many ingredients, so you have been judged "unclean"
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

don't you know bro?

too many ingredients, so you have been judged "unclean"

Too bad! I love tapenade, so I'd rather be dirty.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Don't you know? They grind their own spices with a mortar and pestle.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Because the salt that comes in a package clearly can not touch the ground cumin that comes in a package or the ground chilies that come in a package. The fact that they are in a package together before going into the pot CLEARLY makes it unclean...
    :weary:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    "ground beef, canned beans, canned diced tomatoes and a packet of chili seasoning mix"

I see nothing in that list that would be considered "clean" if clean means it isn't processed. The ground beef is pre-chewed, so you end up digesting it more quickly. The canned beans have added sodium. The diced tomatoes probably have sodium and maybe even sugar added. And who knows what kind of chemicals they put in the seasoning mix.

That being said, other than that fact that I would add a fresh hot habanero pepper and an onion to the recipe, that's exactly how I make chili.

why are canned diced tomatoes not clean????????????

One of the principles of clean eating is that whole foods should be used. Even if nothing else were added, removing the skin and chopping them to bits would be enough to make them unclean.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I am not a "clean eater" and I think your chili Is fine. When I did a lot of research on clean eating I realized that what someone considers to qualify as "clean" is very subjective. I think a lot of the issue is the term "clean" implies other foods are unclean, and who wants to be told the perfectly acceptable food they eat is dirty? In your example I would say by most definitions a "clean" version of the meal would be:

Organic, grass fed beef, organic dried beans with no preserve, organic fresh tomato fresh spice blend with dried organic spices when necessary and low/no salt content (for example fresh oregano, minced chilis, pepper, diced onion and garlic etc)
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your problem -- and the problem in general -- is that "clean" eating is a meaningless concept. Just from this thread, you can see that the definitions of "clean" eating are myriad. Sure, it might mean avoiding processed foods and sugars, but what's actually clean about that? Nothing. It's bs. Clean implies purity, or something better or more virtuous. And I think that's dangerous. Food is not inherently sinful or impure. Food is food. Sure, swiss cake rolls might be full of sugar and make you feel like crap, but is an apple cleaner? Or is it just healthier and less fatty and sugary?
    Lots of people have said that you should eat according to your goals and your macros. Forget clean eating. There's no such thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking on another thread on the topic of clean eating. I understand that the definition of "clean" as used on these forums isn't precise and does include some small degree of processing. The argument rages about whether not eating clean can hinder weight loss and compromise health. I don't want to derail that thread with this question about the way I eat which I hope some clean eaters can answer and I ask this humbly and for understanding.

I go along with those who say it doesn't matter, but as I understand the definition using convenience foods like that means you aren't eating clean. That I don't see why how you eat would be nutritionally problematic is basically why the whole "clean eating" or "all processed foods are bad" stuff irritate me.

Personally I eat mostly from whole foods but have certain exceptions and convenience items I use (like canned tomatoes or protein powder) and do eat various treats (like ice cream) in moderation, so I understand that I don't eat "clean" and find it irritating that people who claim it's better to do so can't really explain why and also don't seem to actually eat less processed food than I do. The whole thing is incoherent.

As for Ted's article, I don't see what meal frequency has to do with clean eating--that seems particularly bone-headed--but I certainly don't see the point of eating 5-6 times a day unless it's a personal preference. That would actually make it FAR harder for me to "eat clean" if I cared about both since I'd have to carry around homemade snacks.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just for fun, I'll go ahead and repost the definitions of clean eating that I've copied/pasted from these boards. These were all off-the-cuff answers given when asked what clean eating is. I've formatted some of them to match the list, but many of them are directly copy/pasted from their original posts. Chili seasoning passes the test on some of these.

Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    Absolutely no processed foods.
    Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    Nothing at all with a barcode.
    Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    Swap white sugar for brown.
    No "white" foods.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    Only pesticide-free foods.

It seems to me that "clean eating" is a lot like pornography. No one can quite draw a line on what constitutes pornography vs. art, but you know it when you see it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    "ground beef, canned beans, canned diced tomatoes and a packet of chili seasoning mix"

I see nothing in that list that would be considered "clean" if clean means it isn't processed. The ground beef is pre-chewed, so you end up digesting it more quickly. The canned beans have added sodium. The diced tomatoes probably have sodium and maybe even sugar added. And who knows what kind of chemicals they put in the seasoning mix.

That being said, other than that fact that I would add a fresh hot habanero pepper and an onion to the recipe, that's exactly how I make chili.

One of the principles of clean eating is that whole foods should be used. Even if nothing else were added, removing the skin and chopping them to bits would be enough to make them unclean.

Do you swallow your food whole, or is it ok to use your teeth to chop food into bits even though it is not ok to use a sharp piece of metal?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Do whole pizzas count? If so, I'm in.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking on another thread on the topic of clean eating. I understand that the definition of "clean" as used on these forums isn't precise and does include some small degree of processing. The argument rages about whether not eating clean can hinder weight loss and compromise health. I don't want to derail that thread with this question about the way I eat which I hope some clean eaters can answer and I ask this humbly and for understanding.

Your chili sounds delicious!

Clean eating has zero to do with weight loss. You will lose weight eating anything as long as you eat less calories than you burn.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Pre-chewed?

No, it's ground, and hopefully nobody else has chewed on it. :D
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you eat all your vegetables whole with no chopping???

200.gif
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Just for fun, I'll go ahead and repost the definitions of clean eating that I've copied/pasted from these boards. These were all off-the-cuff answers given when asked what clean eating is. I've formatted some of them to match the list, but many of them are directly copy/pasted from their original posts. Chili seasoning passes the test on some of these.

Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    Absolutely no processed foods.
    Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    Nothing at all with a barcode.
    Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    Swap white sugar for brown.
    No "white" foods.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    Only pesticide-free foods.

It seems to me that "clean eating" is a lot like pornography. No one can quite draw a line on what constitutes pornography vs. art, but you know it when you see it.

Based on this list I'm so dirty.

tumblr_inline_mwu56iJ48s1r5std6.gif