only losing a pound a week

Options

Replies

• rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Only a pound a week? I've been consistently logging and exercising for 65 days. Want to know how much I've lost? A total of 9 pounds. All of that came off in the first two weeks, nothing lost since then. Be thankful for what you've lost and push harder. Weigh and measure your food. Drink more water. Take an extra walk. Things will happen.
  • GymBunnySally
    GymBunnySally Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your steady weight loss is excellent; don't be tempted to try and push for more because your body is in a good rhythm and shedding the excess weight in a very safe and healthy way. Just keep doing what you are doing!
  • momentai
    momentai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Only a pound a week? I've been consistently logging and exercising for 65 days. Want to know how much I've lost? A total of 9 pounds. All of that came off in the first two weeks, nothing lost since then. Be thankful for what you've lost and push harder. Weigh and measure your food. Drink more water. Take an extra walk. Things will happen.

Thanks , I'm looking forward to summer to get out more cause other then my gym time I'm not active enough.
  • mindspinmegs311
    mindspinmegs311 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    I think people are making wayyy to much out of this. Has anyone ever predicted their weight loss successful down to the pound? If you did, i'd gladly like to hear it, i even applied some calculus to my weight loss predictions. To no avail. Yet if someone can do better as I said, I'd like to hear it...

OP: you're fine, Everything to determine your weight loss is estimates. even your body weight is an estimate, it fluctuates constantly. If you're losing 4-8lbs a month, you're good. WHich in your case, you are.

Amen. :)

Significant calorie deficits for long periods of time does cause your metabolism to adapt and weight loss to slow. A lot of people lose larger amounts early on when they reduce calories, then will see weight loss slow down, even when they further reduce calories. MFP does a great job of estimating needs for weight loss without going too low on calories.

You're doing great! Keep it up!!! Try not to get frustrated if the numbers on the scale aren't matching exactly to what MFP says you should be losing. And take measurements, too, if you can, because changes in body composition may be happening that the scale does not pick up on. (Increased muscle mass, for example).
  • rioricorick
    rioricorick Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean when you say "according to MFP I should be losing more." You tell the app how much you want to lose each week. Then the app sets your calorie intake. A pound a week is GREAT.

When you complete the day, MFP says "If every day were like today... You'd weigh 165 lbs in 5 weeks".
    I think this is clearly was she was referencing.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    How on earth can you start to question things when you arent acccurately measuring your food? Of you wnat to try and lose faster then look at eating less and moving more or simply be grateful that you are losing and exercise some patience. As wolfman pointed out its not perfect math by any means.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Don't overdo it on the workouts, you walk an hour to/from the gym plus cardio and weights, nearly every day? There's no need unless you're training towards some event or competition.
  • rioricorick
    Options
    If you're losing less than expected, then you're eating more than you think.

Or even not exercising as much as you think.... Many people state that MFP will overestimate the amount of calories burned during exercise. No one has tried to figure out how much of an overestimation, though as far as I can tell. We should ask the ops about it.
    She could also be retaining water for some reason. Water has no calories, but if you drink a pound, you weigh a pound more. I would not drink a large bottle of water before my daily weigh in, unless it was the same amount of water each time; you would just have a higher baseline.

• rioricorick
    Options
    momentai wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Most likely cause is that you're eating more than you think. Are you weighing your food?
    I don't weigh but I overestimate my food. I always list it as more than less.

It's still not accurate though. So you don't really know what your calorie intake actually is.

I don't weigh but measure, for example if I eat a cup of brown rice I log a cup and half on MFP

That sounds like a horrible idea. Just weigh your food and log it as the correct weight. You need to learn what your actual TDEE is, and the only way to do that is to know exactly how many calories your eating. Trust me, it will make adjusting your intake much easier in the future.

Sometimes, it is the best you can do if you are at a restaurant and don't have a scale available. The real horrible idea is to not even try.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most likely cause is that you're eating more than you think. Are you weighing your food?

It's still not accurate though. So you don't really know what your calorie intake actually is.

I don't weigh but measure, for example if I eat a cup of brown rice I log a cup and half on MFP

That sounds like a horrible idea. Just weigh your food and log it as the correct weight. You need to learn what your actual TDEE is, and the only way to do that is to know exactly how many calories your eating. Trust me, it will make adjusting your intake much easier in the future.

I know right now I just don't have a food scale or the time to weigh it

Weighing food literally takes at most, 10 minutes cumulatively through the day. You can get an inexpensive scale pretty much anywhere. Order one from Amazon and have it shipped right to your door.

But if you're okay with 1 lbs a week (which is nothing to scoff at, btw), then just keep doing what you're doing.

I'll try getting one soon cause once I'm done losing I want to gain muscles and its important to know exactly what you're eating.

Besides over counting is there any other reasons I can't lose more then one pound a week?

How much do you weigh now?

You are young, but only 5'3, so it's quite possible that a deficit that would amount to 2 lbs/week isn't that feasible.

Anyway, you said you are happy with 1 lb, and you should be. Consistency is the key and will help you when you are ready to shift to muscle building (as will not being too aggressive and losing more muscle than necessary now).
  • momentai
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I know right now I just don't have a food scale or the time to weigh it

Weighing food literally takes at most, 10 minutes cumulatively through the day. You can get an inexpensive scale pretty much anywhere. Order one from Amazon and have it shipped right to your door.

But if you're okay with 1 lbs a week (which is nothing to scoff at, btw), then just keep doing what you're doing.

I'll try getting one soon cause once I'm done losing I want to gain muscles and its important to know exactly what you're eating.

Besides over counting is there any other reasons I can't lose more then one pound a week?

How much do you weigh now?

You are young, but only 5'3, so it's quite possible that a deficit that would amount to 2 lbs/week isn't that feasible.

Anyway, you said you are happy with 1 lb, and you should be. Consistency is the key and will help you when you are ready to shift to muscle building (as will not being too aggressive and losing more muscle than necessary now).

I'm 141lbs , yeah I don't want to lose to much muscles that's why I lift heavy weights.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi,
    Since February I've been losing a pound a week, which is good. But according to MFP I should be losing more than that.

I eat around 1250 cal (I'm 5'3) a day plus go to the gym almost every day but don't eat those calories back since I don't trust the machines calorie counters.
    I do cardio and weight training and I walk to the gym which is half an hour away.
    I feel like I should be losing more, any reason this could be happening?
    I'm happy that I'm losing a pound a week and I don't need to lose more, it just confuses me.

Thx Charlie

Ok. I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed out this to you, but you are doing damage to your body by only eating 1200 calories and not eating your exercise calories back. How to you expect to keep this up when you might only have a NET calorie intake of perhaps 800 (I don't know how much you exercise so just pulled a simple number). Your NET calories intake should be 1200. Please don't do this to your body. I made the same mistakes years ago and still pay the price for it now. You need to EAT MORE, not eat less. If you look, there are people on here that eat much more, exercise and still lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is awesome, WTG.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    Ok. Is everyone here not reading her post. Her calories are way too low. She is going to bring harm to herself and everyone here is encouraging it ?????
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I do the over-estimating thing too, since at the moment my calorie allotment is quite high and I generally don't come close to it, but when you are working with such a low number (the 1200), I think I would strive to be more precise and weigh. You could actually be shorting yourself needed calories. Pay attention to how you're feeling and relax :)
  • EKC1978
    EKC1978 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Since February I've been losing a pound a week, which is good. But according to MFP I should be losing more than that.

I eat around 1250 cal (I'm 5'3) a day plus go to the gym almost every day but don't eat those calories back since I don't trust the machines calorie counters.
    I do cardio and weight training and I walk to the gym which is half an hour away.
    I'm happy that I'm losing a pound a week and I don't need to lose more, it just confuses me.

Thx Charlie

Ok. I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed out this to you, but you are doing damage to your body by only eating 1200 calories and not eating your exercise calories back. How to you expect to keep this up when you might only have a NET calorie intake of perhaps 800 (I don't know how much you exercise so just pulled a simple number). Your NET calories intake should be 1200. Please don't do this to your body. I made the same mistakes years ago and still pay the price for it now. You need to EAT MORE, not eat less. If you look, there are people on here that eat much more, exercise and still lose weight.

I could not agree more with Myfatass78. I am the same height and am over weight. I struggled with weight loss in the past even though I was exercising and eating less. A friend suggested bumping up the protein by having it at every meal. It helped a lot. I would loose 10-12 lbs a month. Those low calorie meals don't do us any favors if they are not replenishing what our body needs.

Keep at it girl! You are doing great! You can only do what is best for you and your body.
  • momentai
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thx Charlie

I have a lot of energy and always feel full , I eat a lot of veggies since they are low calories. Before I started calorie counting I was only losing 2lbs a month. I know that eating more is better and when I burn more than 500 cal during exercise I eat around 1400.
    I'm really small and find any more calories cause me not to lose anything at all.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    Yes, you feel fine NOW. But I guarantee that you won't be able to keep this up long term. Your body has reserves but eventually that will run out. You will start getting every flu that goes around, feel dizzy and sick for no reasons and be unable to exercise. I am begging you to eat more. You are endangering your health.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    So are you or are you not eating back your exercise calories. Your original post says you are not but you say here that you are.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    Also, when you are eating so low, while you will gain some muscle, you won't reach your potential strength wise. You will get newbie gains and that is all.