Replies

• daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I like to melt cheese on my pasta.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This thread is just cruel. Yes, I love pasta!!! But I haven't had any recently.

I tried making hash browns out of spaghetti squash, and it was really nasty. Maybe I didn't do it right.

What I HAVE found is Shiratake noodles. They make a great low calorie (really, REALLY low calorie!) soy-based pasta replacement, and it's palatable. Put just enough sauce in it, perhaps some Tofu or tuna, and it's really good.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

I tried making hash browns out of spaghetti squash, and it was really nasty. Maybe I didn't do it right.

What I HAVE found is Shiratake noodles. They make a great low calorie (really, REALLY low calorie!) soy-based pasta replacement, and it's palatable. Put just enough sauce in it, perhaps some Tofu or tuna, and it's really good.

I'm just sitting here trying to figure out why you tried to make hash browns out of spaghetti squash, and I just can't. I can't.
  • jlhudsons
    jlhudsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have had Ronzoni. Can`t tell the difference. Also you can eat regular pasta, just watch your amount because of calorie intake. I bought a little "thing a ma jig" to make "noodles" out of zucchini. Going to try it when I can get the big zucchini. Not sure how that is going to taste but willing to try it. SO, I am Italian and pasta is something I HAVE to eat once in a while. I think the key here is ALWAYS moderation! I LOVE My Fitness Pal because you can eat and drink ANYTHING as long as you stay within your allotted calories. I have lost 15 pounds and am not feeling terribly deprived. (I also have had whole wheat pasta. I like it but my hubby was wondering why the noodles were the wrong color! LOL!) Weight Watchers has a wonderful casserole with burger, tomatoes and whole wheat pasta. I think there might be some cheese in it too. SO YUMMY! Good luck!!!!!!!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I tried spaghetti squash as a pasta replacement. I was not impressed. It tastes like squash. Just because it looks like spaghetti does not mean it tastes at all similar.

Its fine as squash, but when I want pasta it's just disappointing.

I eat real pasta occasionally and love it.
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can't live without pasta! I switch stuff out for whole wheat pasta when I can find it. I wanted to love spaghetti squash but even covered in sauce, it still tastes kind of "earthy" which is basically dirt to me lol and I hated how crunchy it was. It was like eating partially cooked, dirt flavored spaghetti
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I'm just sitting here trying to figure out why you tried to make hash browns out of spaghetti squash, and I just can't. I can't.

It was a recipe. Basically bake the spaghetti squash, then fry it in olive oil. It is the only "healthy" food I have tried in the past 3 months that I have literally thrown away and gone hungry rather than eating it. NASTY!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP--I live in Italy and there is no substitute for real, al dente pasta. I make it every day in many different versions. My family (all men) could not live without it. Portion size is key + the type of sauce (lighter versions). I also cook alot of vegetables and they are tasty, but I can't honestly call them "pasta". I think most of the pasta lovers on here would agree. Are you really surprised that you got passionate reactions? B)
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ya fo sho
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I have tried the replacements for pasta, but just keep going back to the real deal :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

It was a recipe. Basically bake the spaghetti squash, then fry it in olive oil. It is the only "healthy" food I have tried in the past 3 months that I have literally thrown away and gone hungry rather than eating it. NASTY!

That doesn't sound anything like hash browns, but it sounds pretty delicious to me. Especially if you add some black pepper and fresh thyme.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I eat pasta several days a week. I have a foodscale so its no big deal to weigh out a 2 oz portion... and 2 oz of plain white pasta is only 200 calories, so I dont see the reason to switch to something else. I am sure spaghetti squash is lovely however.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash, but I love all squash. I don't like it as a "replacement" for anything. I do, however, love most sauteed vegetables covered in marinara and cheese - includes zucchini, mushroom, onions, peppers, spinach, even green beans. Years ago I used to mix sauteed veggies with my pasta then cover with sauce and for the past few years, I just do the veggies instead. Sometimes I melt some neufchatel into it so it's a pink cheesy sauce.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I love pasta... but I actually EAT pasta. No silly subs. Pasta is not evil. It won't make you fat as long as you keep it within your calories.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I love pasta. I mix a tin of Tuna with Mayo and Pesto through some Penne Pasta and throw some cheese up on that *kitten*.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Pasta is the love of my life. I've always wondered how spaghetti squash tastes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Pasta is the love of my life. I've always wondered how spaghetti squash tastes.

It tastes most similar to summer squash. It doesn't taste anything like pasta, but it does have a mild flavor and is stringy so it looks like pasta. If you put enough strong flavored sauce on it, you don't really taste the squash much.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta several days a week. I have a foodscale so its no big deal to weigh out a 2 oz portion... and 2 oz of plain white pasta is only 200 calories, so I dont see the reason to switch to something else. I am sure spaghetti squash is lovely however.

A 200g serving of squash is < 40 cal
    A 125g serving of spaghetti is 200 cal

That can make a difference to a lot of people (depending on daily allowance). I eat pasta too, but there are many who may see a reason to switch and/or sub for squash.