Avocados

Options
2»

Replies

• Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    My mother-in-law (she's Vietnamese) taught me how to make this dish... it IS a dip, you eat with crackers of your choice... my hubby prefers Sociables... but I'll eat it with carrot slices, bell pepper slices or celery sticks... yummy! OH, also, when I take this to parties... everyone FLIPS OUT over it!! It's amazing!

3 ripe avacados (scoop & chop/smash them... leave a little chunky texture)
    1 bag of frozen pre-cooked shrimp (peeled, deveined, tail removed... and chopped)
    Light Mayo (this is "to taste"... add a little at a time. I honestly never add more than about 1/2-3/4 cup)
    Siracha Chili Sauce (again "to taste"... but I probably add 2 tbsp, because we like a little BITE!)
    Juice from a large lime
    Garlic powder (about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon)
    Black pepper "to taste"

Mix & serve with crackers or fresh veggies for dipping.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    Just take out the stone, and fill with a low fat Prawn cocktail. It's delicious.

Ah, great idea! My girlfriend makes what she calls Shrimp Cocktail... I don't know the exact "recipe" but it has shrimp, diced avacado, Clamato juice, diced cucumber, cilantro, green onion, lime juice, black pepper, & hot sauce. You eat it with a spoon... it's amazing! I'll definitely be trying your avacados filled with shrimp cocktail!! Yum! :bigsmile:
  • cicadagirl
    cicadagirl Posts: 51
    Options
    My favorite way to eat avocado is also the simplest "recipe" you ever did see. Halve the avocado, scoop out the flesh, mash it up with a tiny bit of salt and lemon juice to taste, and spread on freshly toasted multi-grain bread. Delicious, healthy, and very fresh and light tasting...perfect for a simple breakfast on a hot summer day.
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You could use this salsa on a veggie burger or turkey/chicken burger if you don't eat beef and it's delish!

Per Serving: 330 31 12 30 8 7
    This is a weight watcher's recipe and one I keep on hand for when I just want a burger. The tomato juice added to the extra lean beef gives it the moisture I miss from fuller fat beef. Love, love, love the cilantro lime salsa on top. I need to build the recipe here to see stats

Mexican Chili Beef Burgers

1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
    1/4 cup(s) onion(s), minced
    1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
    1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, ancho-variety recommended
    1/4 cup(s) canned tomato juice
    1 large egg white(s)
    1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    1/2 tsp table salt
    3 small tomato(es), ripe, diced (about 1/2 cup total)
    3 medium radishes, diced, (about 1/4 cup)
    1/3 medium avocado, Hass, diced
    1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
    1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
    1/4 tsp table salt
    4 item(s) reduced-calorie hamburger roll(s), toasted on grill

Instructions
    Preheat grill (or grill pan) to medium heat.

In a large bowl, combine beef, onion, garlic, chili powder, tomato juice, egg white, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; combine thoroughly. Form mixture into 4 patties, about 1/2-inch-thick each.

Place burgers on grill and increase heat to medium-high; cook for 5 minutes. Flip burgers and cook for 5 minutes more. Flip and cook 1 minute more on each side for medium (and longer for desired degree of doneness).

Meanwhile, make salsa. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, radishes, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt; mix to combine.

Serve each burger on a roll topped with about 1/4 cup of salsa
  • Postergirl82
    Options
    I use them to make California chicken. Grill your chicken breast, then top it with a slice of tomato, slice of avocado, and then a slice of reduced fat swiss cheese. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. So good!

This sounds soooo good!
  • Leonora67
    Leonora67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Avocado smoothies are the best! Try it with a little almond milk, vanilla extract, Greek yogurt, and sweetener. Throw it all in a blender with some ice cubes and blend til smooth. SOOOO yummy!!
  • marjie179
    marjie179 Posts: 4
    Options
    They are really good served with tuna salad, lots of chopped onions, jalapenos, corn, anything you like with tuna. I put a scoop of the tuna mixture into a half of an avocado. It's yummo!
  • MittenKitten1219
    MittenKitten1219 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This place I used to work at made something called a Heartbreak sandwich. You take italian bread and put Frank's RedHot on each slice then add grilled onions, tomato, avacado and swiss, then putt it in a sandwich press. I'm sure you could make it a bit healthier by changing the choice of bread and using reduced fat cheese. It is to die for!
  • Misslionheart
    Options
    1 small grilled chicken fillet (around 100g or 4oz)
    60g of mixed beans, canned and drained
    60g of avocado
    4 cherry tomatoes
    1/4 red pepper
    2 tsp of very good olive oil
    1 tsp of lime juice
    1/4 tsp of chilli powder

I'd love to post a pic of the finished product but I dont know how. I could e-mail it?
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Also...have you tried Jason Mraz's Raw Chocomole Recipe??

can you share it?? it sounds strange but I bet it's good!
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like to dice it, dice a tomato, and add to tuna (with or without mayo)... If you have extra calories top onto water (or other choice) crackers

Or dice and add to brown rice, black beans, tomato, green pepper, splash of shredded cheese, and dollop of sour cream. It's my homemade Chipolte :)
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bump

i love love love avocados
  • chrissiviolin
    Options
    Smoothies! My son eats 3-4 avocados a week because he just loves his fruit smoothies. 1 cup of almond or coconut milk, 1 banana, and a half an avocado makes a simple and delicious smoothie. Also, you can add a tablespoon of sugar free chocolate syrup for a chocolate smoothie too. Avocados blend so nicely and make such a silky smoothie. For chocolate pudding just add more avocado to make it thicker - comes out very silky and smooth and my son and I both love it :o) Avocado was his first food as a baby and now at 2 1/2 he still loves it!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Just take out the stone, and fill with a low fat Prawn cocktail. It's delicious.

Ah, great idea! My girlfriend makes what she calls Shrimp Cocktail... I don't know the exact "recipe" but it has shrimp, diced avacado, Clamato juice, diced cucumber, cilantro, green onion, lime juice, black pepper, & hot sauce. You eat it with a spoon... it's amazing! I'll definitely be trying your avacados filled with shrimp cocktail!! Yum! :bigsmile:

my family calls that gaspacho, but I have heard it called ceviche as well. Whatever it's name is, it is GOOD, especially with saltines!

edited to add, we do NOT use Clamato, :sick: we use V8!