Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I have been asked this a few times over the past days, or it has been posed in a general sense in some threads, so I am going to put it out here to discuss in this thread.

The question goes something like this. If you eat 1500 calories of clean food, and are in a calorie deficit, then you will lose more weight than the person that is eating 1500 calories of say a moderate diet that includes processed food, nutrient dense foods, and some ice cream and/or other treats, and is also in a calorie deficit < It is usually phrased as a question, but sometimes as a statement.

So anyway, the ridiculous premise is that if Person A (Lets says a 35 year old 200 pound 5'10 male) eats clean food and is in a calorie deficit; they will lose more than Person B (also a 35 year old 200 pound 5-10 male). For the purpose of this discussion Person A and B have no medical condition; both Person A & B engage in strength training four times a week for an hour a session; both person A & B are in a 500 calorie daily deficit.

Understanding that 100 calories of carrots = 100 calories of donuts from an energy perspective. However, they are not nutritionally the same. What matters is the context of ones diet and that you are hitting micros and macros.

so anyway, who will lose more weigh Person A, or Person B?

My answer is C they will both lose relatively the save weight within about +/- five pounds of one another.

discuss….
    With the assumptions exactly as they are stated in your question, of course they would both lose at roughly the same rate.

The question, though, is whether those assumptions are reasonable. It is far easier to maintain a balanced diet than any kind of a fad diet; be that fad diet all junk food or all "clean" food. Over time, if one doesn't balance one's own likings and cravings with health and nutrition, one is less likely to be able to maintain either the caloric intake or the "cleanliness" of the diet. If you love ice cream but your "clean" diet requires you to shun it, your body will most likely find a way to beat you and make you binge eat that ice cream. If on the other hand you have something to prove and just eat McDonald's all the time, over the long run it is also likely that you will increase your intake of that food, adding calories. It will also make you feel stressed, less energetic, and and thus make you less likely to keep up with your workout regimen. A "clean" dieter who is actively denying themselves things they like may experience stress and depression to give up as well.

So the right answer, I think, is that while a caloric deficit is the only relevant question in terms of weight loss, certain diets, given the individual, may make it more likely they would stick to such deficit while others may make it more likely they won't.

can you please name the fad diet that calls for eating 100% mcdonalds?
    Yes. McDonald's. The only difference between 100% McDonald's "dieters" and "clean" dieters is that the clean dieters do so consciously while most people eating McDonald's for all or most of their meals aren't conscious about their choice (or their caloric intake).

While your point is valid that I intentionally picked an extreme example that isn't true in the real world, so did you. Most people who eat "clean" only do so for only a majority of their diet. They allow treats now and then, and they will satisfy their cravings with moderate amounts of junk food now and then too. I'm actually agreeing with you that it's a balanced diet that incorporates our individual choices of pleasure foods is important in order to stick to a habit long term.

hmmm I don't know anyone that eats 100% mcdonalds….

however, according to the clean eaters on here they eat 100% clean all the time, of course most of them have private diaries so there is now way to to know…

how was my example extreme? i said one person was clean (this is a real world example) and one person is moderation (another real world example)

I agree that two people would probably not have the same exact macros and workout routine, but I don't think it was an extreme example.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I have been asked this a few times over the past days, or it has been posed in a general sense in some threads, so I am going to put it out here to discuss in this thread.

The question goes something like this. If you eat 1500 calories of clean food, and are in a calorie deficit, then you will lose more weight than the person that is eating 1500 calories of say a moderate diet that includes processed food, nutrient dense foods, and some ice cream and/or other treats, and is also in a calorie deficit < It is usually phrased as a question, but sometimes as a statement.

So anyway, the ridiculous premise is that if Person A (Lets says a 35 year old 200 pound 5'10 male) eats clean food and is in a calorie deficit; they will lose more than Person B (also a 35 year old 200 pound 5-10 male). For the purpose of this discussion Person A and B have no medical condition; both Person A & B engage in strength training four times a week for an hour a session; both person A & B are in a 500 calorie daily deficit.

Understanding that 100 calories of carrots = 100 calories of donuts from an energy perspective. However, they are not nutritionally the same. What matters is the context of ones diet and that you are hitting micros and macros.

My answer is C they will both lose relatively the save weight within about +/- five pounds of one another.

discuss….
    With the assumptions exactly as they are stated in your question, of course they would both lose at roughly the same rate.

The question, though, is whether those assumptions are reasonable. It is far easier to maintain a balanced diet than any kind of a fad diet; be that fad diet all junk food or all "clean" food. Over time, if one doesn't balance one's own likings and cravings with health and nutrition, one is less likely to be able to maintain either the caloric intake or the "cleanliness" of the diet. If you love ice cream but your "clean" diet requires you to shun it, your body will most likely find a way to beat you and make you binge eat that ice cream. If on the other hand you have something to prove and just eat McDonald's all the time, over the long run it is also likely that you will increase your intake of that food, adding calories. It will also make you feel stressed, less energetic, and and thus make you less likely to keep up with your workout regimen. A "clean" dieter who is actively denying themselves things they like may experience stress and depression to give up as well.

So the right answer, I think, is that while a caloric deficit is the only relevant question in terms of weight loss, certain diets, given the individual, may make it more likely they would stick to such deficit while others may make it more likely they won't.

Yes. McDonald's. The only difference between 100% McDonald's "dieters" and "clean" dieters is that the clean dieters do so consciously while most people eating McDonald's for all or most of their meals aren't conscious about their choice (or their caloric intake).

While your point is valid that I intentionally picked an extreme example that isn't true in the real world, so did you. Most people who eat "clean" only do so for only a majority of their diet. They allow treats now and then, and they will satisfy their cravings with moderate amounts of junk food now and then too. I'm actually agreeing with you that it's a balanced diet that incorporates our individual choices of pleasure foods is important in order to stick to a habit long term.

But this isn't what most of the clean eaters on MFP post about. They post in an all or nothing, eat a doughnut and you'll die sort of way and argue vehemently against including any "unclean" food at all...even if it's relatively healthy convenience food, like canned vegetables or frozen dinners.

You sound as if you are advocating moderation, but the majority of clean eaters who post advocate zealotry.
  • lolab983
    lolab983 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    They will probably lose the same but person A will be healthier and getting a more nutritious diet and hitting 100% all their needed nutrients.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lolab983 wrote: »
    They will probably lose the same but person A will be healthier and getting a more nutritious diet and hitting 100% all their needed nutrients.

please re-read as i specially said the Person B eats nutrient dense foods and hits their micros…

they both get the same nutrients...
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

discuss….

however, according to the clean eaters on here they eat 100% clean all the time, of course most of them have private diaries so there is now way to to know…

how was my example extreme? i said one person was clean (this is a real world example) and one person is moderation (another real world example)

I agree that two people would probably not have the same exact macros and workout routine, but I don't think it was an extreme example.
    As you just admitted, the people whose claims you are going by to create the 100% "clean" dieter example exist on the Internet with closed diaries. You don't actually know anyone in real life who eats 100% "clean", do you? I don't. When you do find someone who claims to, I guarantee you a little pushing and prodding will reveal occasional departures from the strictest protocols 9 time out of 10.

So between us, we can't find real data on the prevalence on 100% adherence to either a strict clean-only diet or a strict junkfood only diet. Hence, both examples are extreme.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

We do, but facts matter.

So we both say "for weight loss, calories are what matter." And "what you eat will probably affect how good you feel while on a calorie deficit, whether you are able to sustain it, and whether you will be energetic enough to exercise" and also "of course, what you eat matters for health/nutrition."

In addition, if asked whether one could eat 1500 calories of cake and still lose weight (or some such)--which is a bizarre thing to occur to anyone, again--I always do say "in theory, if you could manage that and felt sufficiently good while doing it that you could keep up your normal activity, but I personally could not and prefer to eat in a way that makes me feel good."

The bigger question is why people seem to jump from person B--someone who eats in a moderate fashion, a mostly nutritious diet--to 1500 calories of cake? Do you secretly want to eat only cake? Because frankly that's weird, and yet it's what it sounds like.

The reason that jump is made is because the facts are not always presented as you just described. Quite often it's just "the only thing that matters is calories in vs. calories out". If the facts are always presented in full, then I'm sure the Twinkie Diet will never be heard of here again.

that is hogwash and you know it..

how many times are there threads and everyones reply is along the lines of the following:

calorie deficit for weight loss
    micro/macro adherence and stricter intake for body recomp, overall health, etc

AND

100 calories of donuts = 100 calories of carrots from an energy standpoint; however, they are not nutritional twins.

Then you or someone in your crew jumps in with the 1500 calories of cake all day example, AFTER the above has been pointed out…

just stop with the nonsensical nonsense...

Cosigned.

This is like watching the birth of a strawman. Maybe one or two people might say calories are all that matter.

Here, to clear up some confusion on the Twinkie Diet, is a copy of two random days from Haub's food log during the diet. No quantities, just the foods and total calories/macros.
    November 12
    Pumpkin Spice Donut
    Coffee
    Protein shake
    Onion Rings
    Steak
    Broccoli
    Macaroni and Cheese
    Baked potato casserole
    Dynasty Lychees
    Baby carrots
    Peanut butter cookies
    2% milk

October 29
    Hostess cupcake
    Coffee
    Sesame chicken
    Teriyaki chicken
    Egg roll
    Chicken nachos
    Broccoli
    Lemon zingers
    Kit Kat

Average: Calories: 1457
    Fat (g): 61
    Carbohydrate (g): 173
    Protein (g): 54
  • ndj1979
    edited May 2015
    Options

discuss….

As you just admitted, the people whose claims you are going by to create the 100% "clean" dieter example exist on the Internet with closed diaries. You don't actually know anyone in real life who eats 100% "clean", do you? I don't. When you do find someone who claims to, I guarantee you a little pushing and prodding will reveal occasional departures from the strictest protocols 9 time out of 10.

So between us, we can't find real data on the prevalence on 100% adherence to either a strict clean-only diet or a strict junkfood only diet. Hence, both examples are extreme.

so the moderate eater is an extreme example too?

i dont agree with your premise, so we can just agree to disagree….
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lolab983 wrote: »

I get 100% of my needed nutrients and I get to eat Snickers.

WINNING!

As NDJ posited, the macro and micro targets are being hit by both eaters. Pretty much all of the moderation advocates in this thread eat nutrient dense foods for the majority of their diets. So Is person B in the hypothetical.

• deaniac83
    Options

discuss….

No, the moderate eater is not an extreme example. But the example of a person who strictly adheres to 100% "clean" diet IS an extreme example. My point partly is that you are comparing an extreme case to a balanced case, and that is no less a strawman than people who say "ok you eat 1500 calories of cake a day then."
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

discuss….

No, the moderate eater is not an extreme example. But the example of a person who strictly adheres to 100% "clean" diet IS an extreme example. My point partly is that you are comparing an extreme case to a balanced case, and that is no less a strawman than people who say "ok you eat 1500 calories of cake a day then."
    No one on MFP ever claims they eat 100% clean?

Apparently bc they have closed diaries and there is no way to verify said clean diet, my example is then extreme...go figure??
  • ndj1979
    Options

discuss….

So clean eating is a straw man argument, really??
  • deaniac83
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

discuss….

No one on MFP ever claims they eat 100% clean?

There's a difference between claim and truth. OP himself admitted that no one claiming so has actually backed up their claim by opening their diary (even if you could trust that). I also have known people in real life who claim to be clean eaters and with fairly moderate amount of picking at them I have been able to reveal occasional departures from the practice. Picking examples that are reasonable are about the actual prevalence of a habit, not its "claimed" adherents. I can guarantee you that if you took a snapshot of the general US population, far more people eat 90%+ fast food than eat 90%+ "clean" food.
  • deaniac83
    Options

discuss….

That's what I said, yes.
  • JeraldTX
    JeraldTX Posts: 42 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Since we're talking hypothetically... and we're saying two people have the exact same CI and the exact same CO the answer is C both will lose the same.

But we live in the real world where nothing is exactly the same... If Clean-eating person miss-measures their Green Beans or Spinach they are adding 2 or 3 calories. If Junk-food man miss-measure his chocolate cake he's adding 50 or 60.

So obviously you should lean more towards the "Clean" side. But I believe in moderation in all things, including moderation. We can't be "Good" all the time. It's ok to go off the rails occasionally as long as you get back on track.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    JeraldTX wrote: »
    Since we're talking hypothetically... and we're saying two people have the exact same CI and the exact same CO the answer is C both will lose the same.

But we live in the real world nothing is the same... If Clean-eating person miss-measures their Green Beans or Spinach they are adding 2 or 3 calories. If Junk-food man miss-measure his chocolate cake he's adding 50 or 60.

So obviously you should lean more towards the "Clean" side. But I believe in moderation in all things, including moderation.

What if the "clean eater' mismeasures their avocado? Olive oil? Coconut oil? Salmon? All natural peanut butter? Or almonds?
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Dayum. Leave this thread to have some sleep and go to work, and it blows up (like I expected anything different). Well, all I can say is...

eat_all_the_foods.gif
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    JeraldTX wrote: »

But we live in the real world nothing is the same... If Clean-eating person miss-measures their Green Beans or Spinach they are adding 2 or 3 calories. If Junk-food man miss-measure his chocolate cake he's adding 50 or 60.

So obviously you should lean more towards the "Clean" side. But I believe in moderation in all things, including moderation.

What if the "clean eater' mismeasures their avocado? Olive oil? Coconut oil? Salmon? All natural peanut butter? Or almonds?

It's super-easy to mis-measure nut butter, no matter how homemade, sugar-free, organic or clean it is.
  • ndj1979
    Options

discuss….

That's what I said, yes.

interesting, given the amount of people that advocate for it….

yet, I can't find anyone that advocates for your mcdonalds diet….