Do/should you log your multi vitamin?

Options
lolab983
lolab983 Posts: 16 Member
I take a high quality multi vitamin daily and was wondering if I should be logging it? Also why doesn't the system count other vitamins and minerals like D,E, B, (all of which are important)etc?

Replies

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I take a gnc vitapak, which is probably just an over priced set of vitamins (there are like 8 in each pack) but i really like it and notice that when i forget to take it my energy is a little lower. I've taken them for about 2 years and won't stop. And i like the reassurance that i'm getting X nutrients incase my diet is slightly deficient in whatever nutrients.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Well for your first question, I log mine because according to the bottle it has 5 calories.
    As for your other question, not a clue why MFP doesn't.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't log mine, but I do like the reassurance of knowing I'm getting certain nutrients. Perhaps it just wasn't the focus when developing MFP, maybe they will add it later on. Who knows?
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i realized i can't even read, ignore my 'yea i think it's a good idea to take a multi vitam' comment. bleh.

anyhow, mine is like 5-10 calories too, but i don't log it bc it's so negligible and i wouldn't pay attention to any of the other #'s that it would log.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I log mine because I track my calcium intake.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Funny I just got some multi vitamins today for the first time. I did log mine because I'm starting to notice you can't get a full 100 % of a lot of the nutrients we should have by only eating 1200 calories. This should really be more of a topic here on this forum. Especially for those who don't go out of there way to make sure they are eating a balanced diet.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't log the vitamin because I want to meet all my micronutrient goals through my diet alone and logging the vitamin obscures that. I'm leaving out a few calories but I figure it isn't enough to make a big difference.

As for the other nutrients, I wish they did but the problem is that most of these items aren't on nutritional labels, so you'd only have info from whole foods and not anything else. It would still be helpful since that's mostly what I eat, but I'd still be missing data from some things. Kinda like the situation with potassium, where data isn't always available. If you'd like some real detail, try logging a day in chronometer. I don't like it for everyday use but it is very detailed IF you have foods that have the data available.
  • lolab983
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm not so concerned with the calories (although my fish oil capsules might be more significant)as I want to see how much they make a difference in my vitamin intake. Problem is the bottle has the measurments, not the RDA percentage so it would be a lot of math to figure it out since it's not already in the database. Ice noticed a pattern where I'm not getting enough iron and calcium on the lower calorie diet, or maybe even in general, and I'd like to see how much my vitamin helps although I always do try to get all my Reccomended vitamins from food!

Thanks again all:)
  • lolab983
    Options
    I don't log the vitamin because I want to meet all my micronutrient goals through my diet alone and logging the vitamin obscures that. I'm leaving out a few calories but I figure it isn't enough to make a big difference.

As for the other nutrients, I wish they did but the problem is that most of these items aren't on nutritional labels, so you'd only have info from whole foods and not anything else. It would still be helpful since that's mostly what I eat, but I'd still be missing data from some things. Kinda like the situation with potassium, where data isn't always available. If you'd like some real detail, try logging a day in chronometer. I don't like it for everyday use but it is very detailed IF you have foods that have the data available.

You're right, that makes sense! They should be on nutritional labels though as those vitamins are important to get enough of as well!
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I log all of mine, whether MFP keeps track of them or not. That way i keep myself accountable and at the very least have a record of everything I have done/taken. I do wish they kept more nutritional information.