need help

Options
hi there, im 34 yrs old 5'11 right now @157 my goal its to reach 178 pounds according to the app I have to eat 2500 cal per day., I start my "diet" yesterday the only issue is that I came short almost 1200 cal but I ate alot eggs steak bread banana milk bbq pork rice mac & chesse cherries bbq pork drink alot water I couldn't eat more but still I came short its any diet out there that meets 2500 + cal per day??? thank u

Replies

• kgillis87
    kgillis87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey! look at adding healthy fats in the form of like, raw olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds etc. There's tons of stuff around on the interwebs on this topic. You can add stuff like chia and flax, nut butters, even just straight up oil to your smoothies etc. (careful with the oil because there can be a limit to what your bowels will tolerate, so start slow). And protein where you can - hence why smoothies are great. You can slam all your stuff in there and just take it with you on the go. Also, check out creatine for use with your work outs - helps hydrate muscle tissue to add bulk (if that's what your into) and will help with recovery to make the next day's workout better.
  • elmatatan34
    elmatatan34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok thanks I'll try that
  • jpstokes7
    jpstokes7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation, I started at 148 and my goal is 180, So far i'm at 160. I had a very poor diet before I started this. I drink a lot of whole milk, eat meat, nuts, Greek yogurt, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, peanut butter, etc. I'm taking in around 3200 to 3500 calories a day to gain weight, it's a bit ridiculous.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    First off, make sure you're not underestimating calorie intake. Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink? If not, get a food scale and be as accurate as possible. If you find yourself falling short, eat calorie dense foods such as whole milk, fruit juice, soda, peanut butter, cheese, butter, oil, etc. Find ways to work these into your diet.
  • elmatatan34
    Options
    jpstokes7 wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation, I started at 148 and my goal is 180, So far i'm at 160. I had a very poor diet before I started this. I drink a lot of whole milk, eat meat, nuts, Greek yogurt, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, peanut butter, etc. I'm taking in around 3200 to 3500 calories a day to gain weight, it's a bit ridiculous.
    thanks
  • elmatatan34
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    First off, make sure you're not underestimating calorie intake. Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink? If not, get a food scale and be as accurate as possible. If you find yourself falling short, eat calorie dense foods such as whole milk, fruit juice, soda, peanut butter, cheese, butter, oil, etc. Find ways to work these into your diet.
    will do thanks

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You ate all that and only came to 1300 calories? I'm calling shenanigans, unless you had one egg, one bite of steak, one bite of pork, etc.
  • elmatatan34
    Options
    lol no one steak normal size the bbq was a dinner size from maurice bbq restaurant but im putting all that info in this app and thats what it says like I say early im new to all this cal and carbs all that
  • scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

How long did it take to reach 160? I'm 146 now.
  • scottf4413
    Options
    lol no one steak normal size the bbq was a dinner size from maurice bbq restaurant but im putting all that info in this app and thats what it says like I say early im new to all this cal and carbs all that

Be sure you're entering in the correct portion sizes, too. :smile:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

The app has some very inaccurate entries, which can cause problems when people first start trying to log. What you describe sound like it was a lot more than 1300, so you are likely closer to your goal than you think.

Here's a good post on how to log accurately:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • jpstokes7
    jpstokes7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    scottf4413 wrote: »

I started this using this app and a 5x5 strength variation around March 25, I just hit 161 this week. So just over a month. It's alot of weight fairly quick and I expect to gain some fat but i'll take a little fat over being 148.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think you underestimated your dinner; however, remember calorie dense foods are your friends like ice cream, bagels, cookies, full fat cottage cheese/yogurt/butter, etc. Just also make sure that you are eating nutrient dense foods and getting your micros.
  • tompkinsmi
    tompkinsmi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This app is excellent for tracking but not always accurate. I'm sure with what you listed you were over what you needed. One glass of milk is 300 calories, when you track your food get as close as you can to serving size. For example when you track milk it defaults at 1 serving 1/2 cup. There are 2 sevens in a normal glass. The mac not cheese was probably half a cup and unless you weighed your BBQ pork on a scale there is no way of actually telling. I track everything on here, well almost everything when I eat things like red beans and rice, or gumbo or alligator there is no tracking I just make a mental note that I ate a lot of it.
  • tompkinsmi
    tompkinsmi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your diet sounds about like mine and I'm putting away 3000 a day
  • scottf4413
    Options
    scottf4413 wrote: »

I started this using this app and a 5x5 strength variation around March 25, I just hit 161 this week. So just over a month. It's alot of weight fairly quick and I expect to gain some fat but i'll take a little fat over being 148.

I just have to increase my intake a bit above what this MFP app is telling me. Thanks!