home or gym

Options
2»

Replies

• musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I love my home gym and most of my workouts are there but I do use a crossfit gym a couple times a week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym but mostly workout at home. I like the fact that it is right in the house, so it's close, and I can wear whatever I like (I like to lift in socks or barefoot.) Plus I don't have to wait for equipment and I can leave things out plus I can superset and pretty much do whatever I want without having to work around other people.

On the flip side, I like going to the gym because it has equipment that I don't have. For example, I like the back extension machine (or bench or stand or whatever it's called.) It also has nicer versions of some stuff that I do have (lat pulldown, pull-up bar, etc.)
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Home all the way. I don't know if anyone else suffers with this but I find clothes really irritate my skin, especially on my back when I'm laid out glute bridging/benching etc, and I get a painful rash. So basically I workout in the minimal amount of clothing possible which usually means underwear.

Plus I like being barefoot, I leave barbells set up for how I want them next time, and I commit the cardinal sin of inputting weights into my phone in between sets. I'd be the least popular person in the gym if I went there to lift! I'd be that awful naked girl in the corner on her phone!

I do yoga and the occasional gym class and cover up, but it's just not the same!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Home all the way. I don't know if anyone else suffers with this but I find clothes really irritate my skin, especially on my back when I'm laid out glute bridging/benching etc, and I get a painful rash. So basically I workout in the minimal amount of clothing possible which usually means underwear.

Plus I like being barefoot, I leave barbells set up for how I want them next time, and I commit the cardinal sin of inputting weights into my phone in between sets. I'd be the least popular person in the gym if I went there to lift! I'd be that awful naked girl in the corner on her phone!

I do yoga and the occasional gym class and cover up, but it's just not the same!

Do you do glute bridge on a yoga mat? A few weeks ago I was super hot so I took off my shirt while gb'ing. I do them on a rug and didn't even think about how it would feel until I ended up with rug burn.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Home and trails
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Gym for weight training as I don't have the space nor the finances to have all of the equipment I would want/need. Beyond that I primarily cycle and do a bit of hiking in the mountains. I don't really workout at home unless you count the seemingly endless hours I spend tending to my almost acre of property.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Home. Whenever I want, dressed how I want, and no monthly fee to pay.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Home and outside. I find I push myself harder at home because I'm not afraid to look like an idiot doing it! :)
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap, so I work out at home or outside.

I've moved 3 times in the past 3 years and a big deciding factor every time has been how close to trails I am. Street running is fine, but I've finally found the perfect neighbourhood. It starts with about 1-1.5k of street running, then changes to dirt for 1k or so, then is an endless (well 15+k) series of gravel (but through the woods). The different terrains challenge me, and running up a hill is way more fun than using an incline on the treadmill.

I'm presently not doing anything other than body weight strength exercises, but I figure a used weight bench, etc is probably cheaper than a years gym membership, and would be usable for much longer than a year.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    I find it a lot easier to put it off if I'm home. There are endless distractions and excuses. If I go somewhere for the express purpose of exercising, I focus better on getting it done.

Yep. This.
  • irunforpizza
    irunforpizza Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Outside for running but gym for everything else! I don't push myself as hard when I'm at home, I don't have weights, it's nice to have a set time for working out, and, I know this sounds weird, I always feel like I'm going to break something if I work out at home. Maybe a shelf will fall over or I'll kick the TV :0 who knows?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Both, plus outdoors.

Lift at the gym. Home is yoga and lighter weights. I usually can do complexes and OHP and deadlift at home- no need for extra equipment... but squat i want a rack and bench i need a bench.

If I could afford to have equipment at home, to be honest, I would prefer it because my gym has a lot of lifters and only two racks, so I usually spend too much time waiting and being irritated.

Outdoors is for running, hiking, surfing, rock climbing, canoeing, sailing... living life to the fullest!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Gym. I am a spoiled princess who has everything she wants at the gym. And almost never has to share or wait for equipment.

I'm jealous. I have to wait for everything all the time at my gym.
  • anitag817
    anitag817 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Home... have my own lil setup like a gym & plenty of dvds to mix it up
  • kevcren
    kevcren Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap, so I work out at home or outside.

I've moved 3 times in the past 3 years and a big deciding factor every time has been how close to trails I am. Street running is fine, but I've finally found the perfect neighbourhood. It starts with about 1-1.5k of street running, then changes to dirt for 1k or so, then is an endless (well 15+k) series of gravel (but through the woods). The different terrains challenge me, and running up a hill is way more fun than using an incline on the treadmill.

I'm presently not doing anything other than body weight strength exercises, but I figure a used weight bench, etc is probably cheaper than a years gym membership, and would be usable for much longer than a year.

AGREE!!
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Do you do glute bridge on a yoga mat? A few weeks ago I was super hot so I took off my shirt while gb'ing. I do them on a rug and didn't even think about how it would feel until I ended up with rug burn.

I do glute bridge on a yoga mat yes, I've tried all manor of surfaces but I just have that sort of skin that gets immediately irritated by anything. If I glute bridge in my sports bra on a yoga mat then I'm fine, if I try with a t-shirt over the top I end up with t-shirt burn on my back. It's really annoying, but it would be much worse if I didn't have the option of doing it all at home!

• stumpytiny
    stumpytiny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can never get motvated at home so gym all the way for me i all way say to my self do abs at home but that never works out...but have no work tonight so i am toying around a little jog later as been a bad boy eating lots of suger last two days