Scheduling workouts

Options
Hey all! I need some expert advice. I'm getting exercise everyday (yay me!). I'm wondering if I am doing it in the most effective way.

So far, I have been walking for 30 minutes at lunch, and then 30 minutes on the treadmill at night, at speed intervals (6*5 minutes, walk, light jog, walk, light jog, hard jog, repeat).

I'm throwing in some conditioning this week (e.g. squats + presses, lunges, abs, etc).

My question - how should I schedule my workouts for maximum effectiveness? Is it okay to jog everyday, or should I alternate days? I know for conditioning I should have a rest day before working on the same muscles. Do I need the same sort of rest day from jogging (especially as I increase intensity?)

And, do I need one day of complete rest?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Like with strength work, cardio fitness is gained during recovery, not the workouts itself. With running, you are also dealing with increased bone stress and need recovery from that as well.

A good guideline for running is to work on increasing ONE measure at a time: distance, frequency, intensity. Especially in the beginning, it's a really, really good idea to alternate days. Otherwise you run the risk of overuse injuries, especially stress fracture. The stress fx risk peaks around 30-45 days after the introduction of a new variable (an extra day of running, swapping an easy run for one day of sprints, etc). On your in-between days, you could just walk the whole time, or find an alternate activity like easy cycling. :)

As far as total rest, that's pretty much up to listening to your body. I like light activity--yoga, walking, easy swimming--once a week. Occasionally my body says, "You are not moving off the couch today," and I listen.

(Incidentally: I SUPER love your shoes. I think they are just about the most attractive running shoes I've seen and I wish they worked for me! Rock them for me, please!)
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the every other day advice--that is what I did for C25k and it was great (no injuries, minimal soreness). As you progress, you might want to check out Hal Higdon's plans. I am doing the novice half marathon now (so working to increase distance), and it includes strength twice a week, stretching once a week, and 1-2 days of cross training (I do horseback riding).

And I also adore your shoes---so cute!
  • heathergetshealthier
    heathergetshealthier Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks both! Really appreciate the advice. Incidentally, I was tired Wednesday, so I spent a night on the couch (and only did 6K steps the entire day!). Yesterday, I did 30 minutes of speed intervals at level 4 on my treadmill - and it was a beautiful, inspiring work out. During the highest intensity intervals felt like I was flying. I indeed think the rest day made it possible to rock that work out.

And yah, I love my shoes :). Not only are they cute, but they were the one that worked best when I was fitted. Not cheap, but I figure the investment is worth it!

Thanks again...