Black coffee

Options
I just recently gave up coffee cold turkey almost 2 weeks ago. I drank it black all day long and lived for it and loved it so much. I switched to green tea. I just don't get that same kick I do from the coffee....I miss it. On the plus side I have more energy after quitig. What do you think about coffee. I was drinking it excessively and I can't just drink a cup. I can start out that way, but it gradually starts to increase. Should I stay away?? Seriously craving one.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You should only stay away from coffee if you want to. However, green tea is loaded with caffeine too, so you just changed one type of caffeine for another.

I love my coffee, but since I am sensitive to caffeine, I limit the amount of caffeinated I have, and the rest of the time drink decaffeinated.

By the way, a lot of people think that green tea aids in weight loss. It does not, any more than any other beverage does or doesn't. :)
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day, black. But I don't normally drink it past 10:30 am. Maybe you could limit yourself in the same way? I couldn't do away with it all together. I just really like it.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I've done this same thing. I truly enjoy a good cup of coffee but I try to limit myself to one in the morning and drink water all day, sometimes I have an afternoon reward of a 2nd cup or I wait until evening and use one to relax with. Didn't stop me from losing weight, hasn't stopped me from maintaining weight so I think if you're getting in good clean water too then I wouldn't stress. Now if you start drinking nothing but coffee, you have a problem.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it black, all day long, and like Slashni, I have given myself a time to quit -- for me it is 11 AM.
    I felt I was getting too jittery when I kept drinking it all day. I don't really give up caffeine, though, as a lot of times I switch to iced tea, especially in the summer.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    You should only stay away from coffee if you want to. However, green tea is loaded

Green tea does have caffeine, but it is significantly less than coffee.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Drink what you like. Coffee is great! Its not uncommon for me to have 3 or 4.... or 5 cups of black coffee in a day. As long as the caffeine doesn't bother you, go for it.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    This sounds really racist, check your privilege.

I drink a ton of Colombian-america coffee with nothing else added to it. Then I switch over to Tea, with nothing added to it. I'm currently drinking some spiced chai. I like green tea, but you are right I like the kick.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    You should only stay away from coffee if you want to. However, green tea is loaded

Green tea does have caffeine, but it is significantly less than coffee.

Perhaps, but it is a trade off, so to speak, especially if you have issues with caffeine.

I can't drink green tea at all because it gives me a headache. If I drink more than two cups of caffeinated coffee a day I may get a headache. I don't drink that much caffeine anyway. :)
  • byusuri
    byusuri Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Apparently, a small amount does you no good. But, unlike almost everything else, if you drink it excessively, you reap some rewards.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-to-maximize-the-health-benefits-of-coffee/
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    byusuri wrote: »
    Go for it. Apparently, a small amount does you no good. But, unlike almost everything else, if you drink it excessively, you reap some rewards.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-to-maximize-the-health-benefits-of-coffee/

nice link man.

I love coffee. Gotta have my two big cups a day.

Thing is: How you fuel your body should be enjoyable. If drinking a cup of coffee in the morning makes you happy, then do it! The only concern you should have with any food or drink is how it fits into your calorie budget for the day.

• reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I will never give up coffee. It is my life source. However, I have really adopted the "leangains" lifestyle, and all those guys love their coffee, all day every day, so maybe I'm just drinking the kool-aid... I mean coffee
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I won't give up coffee
  • CoffeeSlayer
    CoffeeSlayer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my jam and I'm not giving it up. However, I do limit my intake or I would drink it all day. I have my 2 cups in the morning and then drink publix diet green tea or just water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with coffee. It actually has a lot of antioxidants. The only issue I could see is the steady stream of caffeine into your system all day long. That would be murder on my blood pressure, but have a few cups of coffee in the morning isn't a big deal at all.

I'm surprised at how many people think coffee is unhealthy...there's nothing wrong with it, particularly in moderation.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't give up coffee (nor green tea- love them both!), but if you're feeling an increase of energy after quitting, that's probably a good thing :) I went off coffee for a month and didn't feel any change whatsoever :( I'm always tired no matter what.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I have my Coke Zero and black coffee. I mainly drink it 'cause they installed a new air conditioning unit in my office and it is freezing in here. Perhaps I should put a shirt on? :#

Here's some shirts:

combo2_1360229701.jpg

Or how about these?

featured-mensshirts-tshirt-90s.jpg

:)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with coffee. It actually has a lot of antioxidants. The only issue I could see is the steady stream of caffeine into your system all day long. That would be murder on my blood pressure, but have a few cups of coffee in the morning isn't a big deal at all.

I'm surprised at how many people think coffee is unhealthy...there's nothing wrong with it, particularly in moderation.

Coffee rocks!

Everything in moderation. :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I drink it for breakfast and then for lunch most days I make a smoothie with it, extra strong & chilled, mixed with chocolate protein powder, yogurt and a banana. Keeps me up and moving all day. Today, I'm trying a berry smoothie made with green tea. I haven't had it yet, so I don't know what it will taste like but it sounds good.

Take my coffee, lose your hand. :) I learned that coffee is the highest antioxidant food in the world, but a citation is needed on that, and mine is the Dr. Oz show, so take it with a grain of salt. (no, I don't watch it voluntarily, it's an unfortunate part of my job.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Slashnl wrote: »
    I drink coffee every day, black. But I don't normally drink it past 10:30 am. Maybe you could limit yourself in the same way? I couldn't do away with it all together. I just really like it.

This is a good idea.

I have a bad habit of letting it creep up so I'm drinking it all day (like OP), and I should really do this.