1200 calories a day for women

Options

Replies

• monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1360... I did 1200 for awhile and I was pretty much miserable. Even just that extra 160 calories makes a big difference for me, although I tend to use it as a guideline and sometimes don't mind going slightly over.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I was doing 1240 calories, I'm 36 and fairly sedentary, but my family kindly requested I eat more, as I was not my usual sweet self ;). I have dropped my weight loss goal down and everyone is happier. I don't even usually eat to my new goal, but having the option without seeing my stats go into the red is great.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories. My bmr and tdee are very low. I'm 40 years old, 5 feet tall and have a desk job. I can manage 1200 most days. Some days I use my fitbit calories but that's not often. I don't feel deprived or anything.

And 1200 is for a setting of 1/2 a pound a week.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm as 1200. I'm 5'2. I eat back most of my exercise calories which makes it doable. Without exercise I feel like I can eat barely anything. With about an hour of exercise each day I'm able to go out and eat socially, snack, a cupcake sometimes, etc. I cook not just for myself so I'm not eating any kind of special diet (I cook relatively healthy meals anyway), but I swap out some things for myself like cauliflower rice for regular rice, or weigh out small portions.
  • JennEason1
    JennEason1 Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

"Your calorie goal is 1200 because you probably set your calorie goal to 2lbs per week, which is quite aggressive for someone only looking to lose 20lbs. My wife is the same age as me, same height as you and gets more than 1200.

I wouldn't recommend replacing 2 meals with protein shakes either (hopefully you mean MRPs at least, protein shakes have little on the overall nutrition side). It does nothing to teach us about portion control for when you do return to eating normally.....unless you plan on having protein shakes instead of meals the rest of your life, then carry on.[/quote]"

This^^^^^^^
    Protein shakes are not a good substitute for an actual meal. You are better off eating a piece of chicken. Of course they are great for post workout or when you need more protein to hit your macros but like he said, it does not help you learn about portions and maintain healthy eating habits.

And 1200 calories a day is just ridiculous to me. You are better off exercising everyday to allow more calories than starving yourself and being "sedentary". For instance, I make sure I burn at least 2100 calories a day so I can eat at least 1700-1800 calories a day. I know it's different for everyone and everyone's goals are different, but think about it, wouldn't you rather workout and be active and still be able to eat a sustainable amount of calories. You should eat however may calories that makes you feel good and function like a normal human and not some sloth. Then workout enough to still make the deficit you need to reach your goal. I'm not a DR this is just my opinion and what works for me.
  • Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I set mine to lose 1.5 lbs/week and it gives me a 1200 goal. I often go over 1200 but in reality, I'm happy to lose even a pound/week, so it's not a big deal. I have my calorie goal set low so its more of a big reminder to stop eating. For example, if after lunch I see I have 400 cal left for dinner, I tend to make smarter decisions than if I saw 650 or so. In the end I might eat a ~550 calorie dinner, but it's still a good deficit in the end.
  • CynSearly
    CynSearly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think that 1,200 would be fine if we were filling it with only nutritious food.

I am sure that most of us (myself included) fill it with things that are not so nutritious.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Monday - Friday I am on 1200 calories a day and I'm not starving, I just plan out my meals carefully so I'm nutritionally getting the most bang for my buck ( and especially with protein which keeps me full)

Weekends are another story : )
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day but i have a job where i sit at a desk all day long. If i feel hungry i eat. I actually feel like i'm constantly eating...I just make sure they are better choices. At first it was very hard for me to do 1200 but now i'm used to it. I do have splurges now and then too, last weekend it was pizza and the weekend before was tacos. You can check out my diary. I am approx 70 days in and down 22lbs. Ive found if i go over the 1200 or eat alot of carby foods (regardless of the calories) i don't seem to lose as consistently. But thats just me... Feel free to check out my diary.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just curious if any of the people who are set at 1200 today, are at all curious/intrigued/motivated by all the people saying that you actually can eat more and still lose weight? If anyone is considering recalculating their goal? I often feel like people wear their 1200 calorie goal as a badge of honor and I just don't understand that. If you CAN eat more and still lose, why would you not want to try that?

For the record - I'm 5'2 and 40. I started on MFP in Feb of 2013 so a bit over 2 years ago. I was at my highest non-pregnancy weight of 150 lbs. I have a desk job and at the time, I wasn't exercising much so I put myself at Sedentary. I put in my stats and that I wanted to lose 1 lb/week. MFP gave me 1200 cals. For the first few weeks, I was always over my calories, but I was still losing weight. I started reading the forums and realizing that 1200 is not enough for many people, so I upped my calories to 1400, then 1500, and I kept losing, about 1 lb/week. I started walking for exercise, occaisionally stationary bike. I ate back every bit of my exercise calories. I got a FitBit in August of 2013, and realized I was averaging about 10,000 steps which puts me at lightly active. I had lost about 18 lbs at that point so I changed my goal to 0.5 lb/week and lightly active and ended up with around 1650 cals/day. I kept eating back the FitBit adjustments, kept losing (when I was staying on track, I took a couple of breaks) and lost my original goal of 25 lbs by March of 2014. I have since lost about another 5 lbs and am set at about 1700 cals but getting ready to up it to1800 just to really stop the losing process and officially move to maintenance. I eat 1900-2000 cals pretty much every day. My exercise is still primarily walking (I now average about 13,000 steps/day) and some really basic circuit training with light weights.

TL/DR - just because you are short, have a desk job, are not in your twenties, and not exercising like a fiend doesn't mean you can't eat a lot more food and still lose weight. Some of you should really consider upping your calories.

• 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary job. I'm 60 years old, 5'3", weight 153 pounds. To lose 1 pound a week MFP and other site says to eat 1200 calories. My setting is currently at 1240. But I slowly came down from the 1400-1350 range to get here.

Prior to having 2 injuries in the past year which has lowered my exercise calories to very little, my range of 1350 worked. But I combined my Nutriton with strength training 3-4x week with 3 HIIT sessions, and 2 days of total body workouts like BFBM and others I found free on cable TV. With consistency I lost (.5-.65) pounds a week.

At 1240 I'm giving my body some energy for my healing and all my physical therapy. I don't know if I'll go down to 1200 until my physical therapy is completed. One injury where therapy is completed needs a 2nd opinion. If I have to go lower to be at the right deficit I will. But I will be reasonable and keep my weight loss weekly setting at .5 pound per week.

We all have different bodies, conditions, and situations. It's one thing to be starving yourself at 1200 and a different thing to be at 1200 because that is what works best for you without starving yourself. More people need to understand this before they dismiss someone who eats at lower or higher ranges.

Stay strong everyone!
  • ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Just curious if any of the people who are set at 1200 today, are at all curious/intrigued/motivated by all the people saying that you actually can eat more and still lose weight? If anyone is considering recalculating their goal? I often feel like people wear their 1200 calorie goal as a badge of honor and I just don't understand that. If you CAN eat more and still lose, why would you not want to try that?

For the record - I'm 5'2 and 40. I started on MFP in Feb of 2013 so a bit over 2 years ago. I was at my highest non-pregnancy weight of 150 lbs. I have a desk job and at the time, I wasn't exercising much so I put myself at Sedentary. I put in my stats and that I wanted to lose 1 lb/week. MFP gave me 1200 cals. For the first few weeks, I was always over my calories, but I was still losing weight. I started reading the forums and realizing that 1200 is not enough for many people, so I upped my calories to 1400, then 1500, and I kept losing, about 1 lb/week. I started walking for exercise, occaisionally stationary bike. I ate back every bit of my exercise calories. I got a FitBit in August of 2013, and realized I was averaging about 10,000 steps which puts me at lightly active. I had lost about 18 lbs at that point so I changed my goal to 0.5 lb/week and lightly active and ended up with around 1650 cals/day. I kept eating back the FitBit adjustments, kept losing (when I was staying on track, I took a couple of breaks) and lost my original goal of 25 lbs by March of 2014. I have since lost about another 5 lbs and am set at about 1700 cals but getting ready to up it to1800 just to really stop the losing process and officially move to maintenance. I eat 1900-2000 cals pretty much every day. My exercise is still primarily walking (I now average about 13,000 steps/day) and some really basic circuit training with light weights.

TL/DR - just because you are short, have a desk job, are not in your twenties, and not exercising like a fiend doesn't mean you can't eat a lot more food and still lose weight. Some of you should really consider upping your calories.
    Kruggeri, I think the comments actually support what you are doing. I went back and reread the comments from the women who are keeping and COMFORTABLE with their daily intake at 1200. Most (with the exception of a 2 or maybe 3 are in late 40s or older, sedentary and 5'2. The others are stating that mfp set them at 1200 but they are eating or "earning" more calories because of exercise.
    As.for the woman who is 5'7 on 1200, in my opinion, it seems low but it could also be her frame or lack of muscle density. This is why when you get older, doctors recommend weight training to increase muscle mass. More muscle=more calories burned. This is why men can eat more.
    This is for everyone: I'm my opinion (I'm not an expert and I don't known anyone here personally) the 1200 is not exactly "why" most of us are losing weight on the 1200. Most of us are losing weight because for the first time or first time in a long time, we are eating LESS, that's all. Evrn.if you are eating 1800 and you drop to 1500, you will lose weight. It's simply math, nothing else.

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options

I prefer to eat a little less and lose a little more each week. Although, I don't eat 1200 calories a day as a rule. Some days I am over.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise yesterday and did not hit my 1200 goal, I ended up close to 1400. But that's what I needed to not be hungry. I use 1200 as more of a guideline, not as a strict number that can never be exceeded or all is lost.
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I started at 1,200 calories, I lost 20 in a month in a half but I was very tired & when I would get up from sitting down it would look fuzzy. Now I eat 1,700 calories a day I've lost 57 since jan.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of calulating on Scooby what my maintenance will be at my goal weight. (Shouldn't have looked ahead.) At age 60, 5'6", I'll only have a TDEE of 1375, without taking into consideration that I'll be even older by the time I hit goal.

May as well learn to cope with 1200 a day since 1375 isn't significantly better.

That's strange. I am 62..5'6"...light exercise and I get a maintenance of 1700. That is with a goal weight of 145.

I went back and re-entered my stats in Scooby and you are right. This time I get a TDEE at goal of 1595. I feel much better now.

Sorry, everyone, for whining about nothing.

I started not to say anything but I just couldn't help myself...I didn't want to see you thinking that was all that you were going to get to eat.

For me to get 1700 I have to at least keep my activity level at lightly active...I hope to increase that between now and the time I hit goal weight to moderately active. I have no hopes of ever getting to "extreme"...the body is just too old for that! I might break it. It is already protesting on some days. We are in a rainy season right now and the joints would just rather sit on the couch and be pampered.

Sigh...the price of getting old and letting myself go all of those years.

Thanks for speaking up! (Writing up?)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

This gives me hope that I might be able to eat 2000 for maintenance.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

Yes, I am reconsidering (now that my incompetent Scooby operation has been sorted out).

I've been having a hard time sticking to 1200 lately, so effectively, I have been eating more than that, but I have also been stalled out in my weight loss, even gaining some. Over the past week I've been trying harder to keep within 1200, but failing at it, so I actually averaged 1400 (net) and my weight began to creep down again.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Any time I see someone who is not old and short like me eating 1200, I think I hear a kitten dying somewhere.

Older and shorter women DO need to eat 1200 to lose weight, and because our metabolisms are at an appropriate rate to handle such an intake, I don't think there's really a problem eating that many calories. I certainly don't struggle with hunger. Or with getting nutrition. Or with fitting in treats here and there.

Anyone else? Just no.
    Your comments are awesome, mamapeach. This one is also great:
    Just wanted to say that those ladies who replied saying they were over 50 or self-identified as 'old' look great! I'd have never have guessed your age. So while its a bummer that you're stuck with less calories, you do look awesome!
    I'm 50 and maintain 115 lb=old & small. With careful planning, I can hit my nutrient goals in 1200. Its' not enough for me, though. I have mixed thoughts, TBH. I look back at old logs and see I consumed 1200 happily for weeks at a time without incident. Other times, I can't go more than a week at 1200 without a binge. I lose at 1500, so that is just a better course for me. I still hit my nutrient goals in 1200 with careful planning, but then I add 300 of fun stuff I just enjoy and don't worry about it.

I know OP wasn't aspiring to 1200, more like denigrating it, but 1200 is doable and appropriate for some people. Sort of like marathon-ing is awesome for some people, but not everyone can take it.