5:2 diet

Options
Hi there

Have been considering this diet and wondered if people have tried it and could share their weight loss success? Or any feedback really.

Thanks

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since August 2012, both for weight loss and maintenance (6:1).
    Love it - for me it makes adherence to a weekly calorie goal far easier. Everyday calorie restriction always bored and frustrated me in the past.

There's two 5:2 groups on here worth joining and having a browse.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've never tried it, so have no experience to speak from, but I will say this: any diet that says I have to not eat for 2 whole days is not for me. I like to eat.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    theston412 wrote: »
    I've never tried it, so have no experience to speak from, but I will say this: any diet that says I have to not eat for 2 whole days is not for me. I like to eat.

That's not what it is. It's eating a significant amount less than the other days. It's calorie-cycling and making sure you are eating on days that you are highly active - that's a generalization but bottom-lining it.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

The restriction might be as such that you don't feel like you are eating anything - I get that part - but to state on the record that "any diet that says I have to not eat for 2 whole days" is not accurate.
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

That's not what it is. It's eating a significant amount less than the other days. It's calorie-cycling and making sure you are eating on days that you are highly active - that's a generalization but bottom-lining it.

The restriction might be as such that you don't feel like you are eating anything - I get that part - but to state on the record that "any diet that says I have to not eat for 2 whole days" is not accurate.

I didn't state "on the record." I stated my opinion. I did a quick google search and offered an opinion. I didn't tell OP that it was a bad idea, I didn't say not to do it. I stated my opinion.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

5:2 diet is you eat at maintenance for 5 days and your calorie deficit in made in those 2 days. No diet I have ever read says do not eat for two days out of the week.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I didn't state "on the record." I stated my opinion. I did a quick google search and offered an opinion. I didn't tell OP that it was a bad idea, I didn't say not to do it. I stated my opinion.

So then you were just hijacking the thread to opine about something not relevant to the thread.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Once version of the 5:2 is to eat at maintenance for five days of the week and
    two days of the week for women eat 500 calories and for men eat 600 calories.
    Of course, there are variations.
  • mbibble
    mbibble Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've read a few things that say this diet is not a great choice for women hormonally and sleep-wise because of the impact fasting has on hypocretin neurons (which are associated with getting up and getting food). It seems to work well for people who are insulin resistant, but terribly for people who have diabetes. I don't know. If it helps teach the difference between boredom and hunger, I think it's probably a pretty good diet. I know a few people who lift who do this diet, but they refer to it differently - for them it's more like a combination of cutting and bulking in the same week.

I've had so many busy work days where I've essentially done this diet by accident and it was sort of great. I didn't lose any weight because I made up for the deficit the next day (and wasn't trying to lose weight), but the practice beat down the sugar cravings & taught me that I didn't always need to be munching on something. I personally feel it's better to just learn to eat when hungry, every day, but that's easier said than done.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

That's the point. Your opinion is based on not even knowing what 5:2 fasting is. It's not for me either... on the record.
  • hillemary
    hillemary Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting (IF) on a 16/8 schedule instead of 5:2 - I fast from 8pm to noon the next day. It's working extremely well for me and I don't feel at all deprived! I eat a lot fewer calories and don't even notice. Here's an fb group that is very informative and helpful to learn more: https://www.facebook.com/groups/799235153498663/ if you're interested :)
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you're considering any sort of intermittent fasting, there is an Intermittent Fasting group that covers a variety of different styles people use. It might be helpful to ask there as you'll run in to other users doing 5:2/4:3, daily IF in the form of limited eating windows, or full day fasts.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love it. I am able to go to happy hour, out to eat on my 5 days, eat less on 2 days a week and still lose weight. come join us at http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Maybe you should fully understand something before offering an opinion?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I tried it, and found it difficult to work the 2 fast days into my schedule. I felt fine while doing it, and didn't find that I was overwhelmingly hungry on fast days...just enough to distract me every so often. But then, I ate a lot of salad and seafood on those days, mainly anything that was nearly straight protein and bulky low-cal veggies. I wish it fit into my lifestyle better. I didn't really stick with it long enough to give it a real chance.

I will say, however, that having read a lot of the studies done on it, one finding was that taking an anti-oxidant negated some of the positive effects that fasting would have on the immune system. So that's something to think about.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    When I was doing it, the two days I fasted, my body felt GREAT. It seems the less I eat, the better I feel (I have some digestive issues that fasting seemed to help). However, I was also really, really hungry and I was mean to my kids. So that part I didn't like.

Another thing I've tried is instead of fasting the entire day and then eating my 500 cals at the end of the day, I could have 2 "green" days per week. So, I could eat any sort of green or other really low-cal veggies whenever I wanted, as much as I wanted. I tried this and it worked out pretty well. I was still only at about 500 cals. But, because of those digestive issues I mentioned, I had a bit of stomach trouble. I'd like to try it again sometime though.

I say try it and see for yourself if it works for you!