I don't know what to eat anymore. Please Help!

Options
So I have realized my main problem is that I'm not eating properly. I usually don't have breakfast because I never know what to eat. As far as lunch I want something fairly simple and easy yet tasty but just end up getting food from the hot case or subway. Dinner is probably my only decent meal. And I dont really snack. I would love some tips meal ideas anything. I need help and would really appreciate the input!

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    That's quite a vague question!
    What sort of things do you like? I'm a big fan of keeping it simple, wholemeal toast and for breakfast then a packed lunch so that I know exactly what I'm eating, and that it's nutritious.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Yep, keep it simple :) Pre-preparing stuff is a really great way to take the indecision out of things.

Taking 5 minutes on the weekend to sit down and think about what you need for during the week and then doing your shopping means the majority of your food is going to be on target and you've got flexibility around that.

Before bed I'll prep my breakfast - usually some steel cut oats covered in boiling water which I throw in the microwave for two minutes when I get up. You can put anything on them that you like, fruit, nuts, seeds, yoghurt etc. For breakfast try finding one thing that fits into your morning routine and that you enjoy and stick with it. Might be toast, might be fruit and a couple of eggs you boil the night before or whatever.

I take a packed lunch too. On the weekends I'll throw together a soup or when I make a healthy dinner I'll make enough to take the next day for lunch, then I'll chuck in some fruit/veges for snacks and off I go. It works for me because it means I've got a solid base of two meals and a couple of snacks if I get hungry and leaves me enough room to be flexible to play around with dinner :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What is a hot case? Where are you for lunch? Work?
    How simple does it have to be? If you do not cook, what foods can you put together?
    BTW, it is 100% o.k. to skip the first meal of the day and wait until lunch to eat as long as that is working to help you stay at your calorie goals. :)
  • giro629
    giro629 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow - is it food decision fatigue? You can manage that with forward planning. pick 2 breakfasts (toast or oatmeal or fruit or coffee or all of them) 3-4 lunches/dinners. Make enough for 3 portions each time so you have dinner plus 2 packed lunches etc. This approach saves me buying over-priced sandwiches at varsity. I use the Yummly app to choose a week's worth of simple recipes and generate a shopping list, then buy it all at the weekend market and store because having everything I need makes the whole process less painful. It also means I make a whole bunch of eating decisions at once, instead of having to do it 3 times a day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So I have realized my main problem is that I'm not eating properly. I usually don't have breakfast because I never know what to eat. As far as lunch I want something fairly simple and easy yet tasty but just end up getting food from the hot case or subway. Dinner is probably my only decent meal. And I dont really snack. I would love some tips meal ideas anything. I need help and would really appreciate the input!

If you make a decent dinner, why not just make a little extra to have for lunch the next day.

You could also make soup, stew or chili to have for lunch all week. Sandwich wraps are pretty quick and easy to make. Hummus and cut vegetables is quick and easy. Canned soup is easy and can be filling if you add some frozen vegetables and/or leftover meat.

Any of those would also work for breakfast. Or you could have toast and egg, toast and peanut butter, omelet, egg salad, oats or another type of porridge, pancakes or waffles, some type of smoothie.

Eat whatever you like.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Check out websites like skinnytaste and foodgawker to get ideas.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you opened your diary, we could perhaps offer some suggestions.
  • coraleerinker13
    coraleerinker13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do just want to keep it simple. I try to look up recipies but they are always so crazy and like 20 different ingredients. I'm not a fan of fish. But love chicken and red meat. I'm not too terribly picky when it comes to food.
  • coraleerinker13
    Options
    Hot case is like deli food. Like fried foods. It's not healthy at all! I just would like to be able to not have to have a recipe to make my lunch. I don't entirely eat what I should calorie wise most likely. I have just recently started to track.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I do just want to keep it simple. I try to look up recipies but they are always so crazy and like 20 different ingredients. I'm not a fan of fish. But love chicken and red meat. I'm not too terribly picky when it comes to food.

Be specific in your search. Something like "low calorie five ingredient meals" or "quick and easy low calorie lunches"
  • coraleerinker13
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'll open my diary once I figure it out haha. As far as the wraps go is there another healthy alternative to the hummus?
  • coraleerinker13
    Options
    Alright will do! :-)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'll open my diary once I figure it out haha. As far as the wraps go is there another healthy alternative to the hummus?

If you are not vegetarian, meat or fish is good in a wrap. Cheese, egg or tofu well would also work for a protein source in a wrap. I like spiced silken tofu spread in a wrap.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hot case is like deli food. Like fried foods. It's not healthy at all! I just would like to be able to not have to have a recipe to make my lunch. I don't entirely eat what I should calorie wise most likely. I have just recently started to track.

I kinda know what you mean. Are there any healthy-ish options in there? Like lean meats that aren't fried/breaded or vegetables not in creamy sauces/butter? Load up on those babies if there are and then snack on fruit/veges :)

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Doesn't really help when it's empty...
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What to eat is really simple and it just takes a little planning.

What to eat
    1) Lean Protean (Fish, Fowl, some cuts of pork, tofu, non-fat milk & cheese etc) - Make this the foundation of every meal.
    2) Add non starchy carbs (veggies and greens).
    3) Whole grains and a little fruit - but don;t go over board on these.

Plan ahead and think about what you are going to eat. I rarely go to bed without knowing what I'll eat the next day. Preprepare food as much as you can. Don't eat anything from the hot box!

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I collect recipes and am lazy as well- I have literally tons of simple, easy, healthy recipes. They're out there. But you don't need to be fixing gourmet food or "diet" food- just look for something you like, make modifications if necessary (like reducing fatty meats, butter, full-fat cheeses, stuff like that), and make sure you know what a reasonable portion is. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You don't have to make complicated dishes. You don't even need any recipes. A complete dinner consists of just three elements: Fatty protein, starch, and vegetables. It's not difficult to cook rice or potatoes, defrost and heat some vegetables, and bake some meat in the oven, or make a casserole or soup.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I'm going to send you a friend request - check out my diary. I have found a lot of good ways to really simplify my meals.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: greek yogurt, cheese stick, a handful of almonds, an apple (easy to take on the road)
    If you have time to cook: eggs with cheese.