Looking thinner, clothes are looser but the scale won't move?

Options
For about 6 weeks, I've been consistently cycling for 40 minutes 5-6x a week. I look thinner and my clothes are more loose. However, the weighing scales I use are constantly fluctuating, I could stand on it once in the morning and be a certain weight, then stand on it again 10 seconds later and be 10lbs heavier, step on it a third time, and be 5lbs lighter. I do watch my diet and rarely touch junk food.

Is it possible to be thinner but not change much on the scales? I haven't been doing strength training so there's no 'muscle weighs more than fat' answer. I'm confused, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If your scale is fluctuating that much, I'd replace the batteries.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Definitely change the batteries.

But yes, you can be thinner and not change much on the scales. I've gone through 3 sizes in less than 10 pounds.
  • smittybobitty917
    smittybobitty917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Scale reliability is important if you want to measure weight. Make sure even if the batteries are changed that it reads consistently with a few different times within a few minutes. Some scales can give different readings if they are sensitive to where you place your feet.

My weight loss has slowed as I started riding more, but my clothes have felt looser. I'm chalking it up to getting into riding season shape. As you build endurance, you should be building more energy stores in your muscles known as glycogen.

My weight also fluctuates a bit due to water intake and retention. Part of it is from training, and part of it is from sodium intake.

It sounds like your plan is working. Weight is just a number, but clothes sizes are dimensions. Best of luck!
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Yes. Even 5 pounds of a loss can be a HUGE loss in inches.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sounds like your scale is the issue here