Any tips on how to start running?

2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    c25k.. BUT... before you give that a go... spend a month strengthening and stabilizing your legs by doing walking lunges...squats... and plenty of stretching... some ab work would also be beneficial... jogging/running is a very high impact activity... you will go a long way in preventing injury and ensuring your success and "fun" if you prepare your legs for this kind of work.

This! Core training - Mix in some planking with your run or stop every now and then to knock out a few pushups. Gotta protect the small muscles in the lower back.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    c25k...I started it 2 weeks ago...I am enjoying it. I didn't do any purposeful pre work mind you...but I've been lifting for 2 years...
  • theredhead77
    theredhead77 Posts: 35 Member
    Go to a store that specializes in running shoes. They will watch you walk and help you find shoes appropriate to your form. I needed stabilizing shoes (I wear Asics). Once you find a pair there you can buy the same shoes elsewhere. Any running store worth their weight will also have a good return policy accepting returns after you've worn them.

Sure, Sketchers and Nikes are cute but when running you don't want cute. You want protection.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 139 Member
    I went through the same thing. Stretch, Stretch, Stretch! I stretch before, I stretch after my warm up, I stretch after now. My favorite stretch for the shins is put your toe up against a curb or stair and lean into it. You will feel it. Massage works well too. I also like compression socks on my shins, but not everyone does. C25K is a great tool too! It will help you build up slowly. As everyone says, shoes are very, very important. Even still, the first 5 minutes of my run are the hardest - just stick with it!
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Definitely build up to it, and please be sure you're getting enough bone-health supplements either through your diet or with a multi vitamin. Specifically Vitamin D and Calcium. Then listen to your body, if it hurts, (not the good kind of hurt, like injury hurt) stop, get checked out. I learned the hard way!
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    C25K for sure. I'm on week 4 now. I stretch before and after, run/walk 3x/week using C25K, do strength training 3x/week, 1 day for rest.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    If running outside in the summer you are probably getting plenty of vitamin D produced by your own body. It only takes 10 - 20 minutes exposure in the sun a few times a week to ensure your body produces sufficient vitamin D. A supplement in the winter for those living in sun-starved higher latitudes might be advisable, but like many things one needs to be careful about doling out blanket advice as individual circumstances may warrant otherwise.

Too much vitamin D, a fat soluble vitamin the body can not quickly get rid of, is toxic and can result in hypercalcemia. Certain diseases (including thyroid related diseases - given the nature of this site this thyroid related problems are not uncommon here) can make a person more susceptible to this.
  • mwyvr
    edited May 2015
    Sure, Sketchers and Nikes are cute but when running you don't want cute. You want protection.

Both Sketchers and Nike make well regarded running shoes for distance runners and racers and punters alike. During my 20's and 30's I went through dozens pairs of Asics runners and only one pair of Brooks - they felt terrible on my feet; today I'm running in an alternating pair of Nike Structures, a pair of Salomon for mountain trails, and maybe next month or next season or next year it'll be something else. What works best at the time I'm ready to purchase again, who knows. I go with an open mind and check them out on my feet.

There is a lot more to shoe choice than brand, make, and size.

To the OP, don't be a brand slave and don't worry about colours. You are buying these shoes for running, not for any other purpose. (Don't walk in them) I hate the look of my shoes (my wife likes them) but they work great for me.

Get thee to a great running speciality store and go back there for your second pair of shoes too - don't be cheap! Models change year to year. Sometimes makers *do* screw around with a great design. You'll may also find that your shoe needs change over time. A great running speciality store will always have your back.
  • CSARdiver
    mwyvr wrote: »
    If running outside in the summer you are probably getting plenty of vitamin D produced by your own body. It only takes 10 - 20 minutes exposure in the sun a few times a week to ensure your body produces sufficient vitamin D. A supplement in the winter for those living in sun-starved higher latitudes might be advisable, but like many things one needs to be careful about doling out blanket advice as individual circumstances may warrant otherwise.

Too much vitamin D, a fat soluble vitamin the body can not quickly get rid of, is toxic and can result in hypercalcemia. Certain diseases (including thyroid related diseases - given the nature of this site this thyroid related problems are not uncommon here) can make a person more susceptible to this.

Do not supplement with vitamins without consulting your doctor. As a general rule if you take any form of supplement you need to increase your water intake (urine should be gin clear).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Do not supplement with vitamins without consulting your doctor. As a general rule if you take any form of supplement you need to increase your water intake (urine should be gin clear).

I don't know the science behind your statement, so I don't know the truth/context/inaccuracy of it... but as a blanket statement, that's borderline fear mongering, isn't it? If nothing else, too much fluid/water can strip the body of sodium it needs to function, especially during long, intense workouts.
  • CSARdiver
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I don't know the science behind your statement, so I don't know the truth/context/inaccuracy of it... but as a blanket statement, that's borderline fear mongering, isn't it? If nothing else, too much fluid/water can strip the body of sodium it needs to function, especially during long, intense workouts.

It is a very general statement and based upon the average person who does not have (as you stated) a vitamin D deficiency, despite the marketing claims from vitamin manufacturers. Also general considering the average person does not drink enough water.

As for the origin of the urine/gin comment it was a field doc I worked with who was a "urine guy" - he could tell most ailments via urine sample.

As for hyponatremia - extremely rare and one would either have a genetic deficiency or experience a dramatic shift in both exercise regimen and water intake. Long endurance athletes are susceptible, but should not be a concern to a beginner.
  • mwyvr
    Back to 'how to start running' now? :smile:
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited May 2015
    Another vote for slowing down. I ran 5k for the first time yesterday (which was a push for me, and a triumph actually). My legs got tired, not my lungs. I realised a little while ago that I had been trying to run much too fast. When I slowed right down (4mph), I found I could keep going for ages.

I didn't do couch to 5k this time, but it is an excellent program.

Good luck!