mass gainers

Options
How do we feel about them? I recently started using one and hitting up the gym. I've gained 8lbs total.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about stuff like the ON Mass Gainer... I think they're a little bit too pricey for what you get. It's only a few servings.

They're helpful if you just can't eat that much, drinks are really your friend if you have a hard time.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with Rich Piana that real food is better.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Extra 500 cals/per day is as easy as.... 1 pack of Pop Tarts - 400 cals and 1 scoop (25g) MyProtein - 100 cals.
    Macros - 11 (F), 27 (P), 73 (C)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    sherbaez wrote: »
    How do we feel about them? I recently started using one and hitting up the gym. I've gained 8lbs total.

the ingredient list differs massively between brands, some are almost entirely made up of simple sugars and whey protein.

The better quality ones are usually oats for the carb source and whey for the protein............as above you could probably get the ground oats and protein just as cheap separately.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The carb powders in weight gainers (maltodextrine et al) are super cheap of bought in bulk seperately. Much cheaper to make your own weight gainer with bulk carb powders and then you can choose much higher quality whey protein than what usually comes with the weight gain shakes.

Honestly you are better off getting your calories from real food across many meals, but one of my meals is similar to a weight gain shake. I drink it about one or two hours before the workout (50 grams protein with 50 grams cyclic dextrin). Get's me cocked and loaded before hitting the weights.

• emezrahi
    emezrahi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »

the ingredient list differs massively between brands, some are almost entirely made up of simple sugars and whey protein.

The better quality ones are usually oats for the carb source and whey for the protein............as above you could probably get the ground oats and protein just as cheap separately.

wait. you can buy ground oats?! & here i am, sitting, like a *kitten*, with a pestle & mortar :neutral:
  • scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The carb powders in weight gainers (maltodextrine et al) are super cheap of bought in bulk seperately. Much cheaper to make your own weight gainer with bulk carb powders and then you can choose much higher quality whey protein than what usually comes with the weight gain shakes.

Great tip! I had no idea. Thanks.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    emezrahi wrote: »
    Hendrix7 wrote: »

wait. you can buy ground oats?! & here i am, sitting, like a *kitten*, with a pestle & mortar :neutral:

Is that the same thing as quick or instant oats?
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    No, they're ground finer like flour. Actually if you google/look for "oat flour" that's what it is. I think.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    No, they're ground finer like flour. Actually if you google/look for "oat flour" that's what it is. I think.

no I meant oats that can be used in a shake but are finer

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/instant-oats/10529296.html

there are an absolute essential item for me when bulking, easy calories
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    Is that the same thing as quick or instant oats?

Yes...I have ground up instant oats in my own weight gain shakes. I have a super nice blender though...it is annoying to do...but super cost effective.
  • ObiWanJacoby_
    ObiWanJacoby_ Posts: 56 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dextrose is also a good one to use for carbs. I use it in my post workout shake with creatine and protein since I can't eat a full meal after working out.
  • calvincardwell
    calvincardwell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches after a workout or running will help maintain your weight with the protein and calories. Along with a glass of milk will do you good unless you are lactose and tolerant!