Low impact exercise

Options
Do any of you have any good low impact exercise ideas? I am having some issues with my ankles and feet and need a workout that is low impact but yet a good exercise. Any workout suggestions?

Replies

• fatbustinmama
    fatbustinmama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest yoga. It's a brilliant all rounder for strength, flexibility and cardio.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Depending on how low-impact you need to go, the elliptical works well. I also like to row. Cycling is another good option.
  • anyrmca84
    anyrmca84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would suggest yoga. It's a brilliant all rounder for strength, flexibility and cardio.

Someone suggested piyo and yoga.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Barre 3 online workouts and love them! They are low to no impact and even have workouts where you just stand using a chair for balance. Bonus, they have 10, 30, 40 and 60 minute workouts so if you are short on time you can still squeeze one in!

Here is the link for the free trial: http://www.barre3.com/onlinefreetrial/ If you do see a charge on your card (I did) - just email onlinesupport@barre3.com and they will reverse it ASAP.

Good luck and hope this helps :-)
  • megslc21
    megslc21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have ankle and knee problems. Cycling has been a lifesaver for me. It keeps the weight off the joints and I still can get in good cardio. Also exercising in the water has helped as well, I tried water aerobics, water jogging and aqua spin class. The water helps keep the pressure off joints. The more weight I lose, the better my joints are feeling and more other activities I can do.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Rowing works great too and unlike the other options it has a strength and muscle building/saving aspect built into it. Of course you need access to a rowing machine or you'd need to buy one. We have a water rower and it gives you an epic workout without messing with your joints or any of that.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Depending on what restrictions you have and what you enjoy, walking, cycling, swimming, pilates, yoga, barre a terre, body weight strength training.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Depending on the abilities of your ankle and foot and how much weight they can tolerate: strength train, swimming, water jogging, bicycling, Chair exercises, calistheincs, yoga, pilates, tai-chi. What are your fitness goals?

I have same issue. My goal is weight loss and each day work to at least my minimum MHR for 30 minutes. Sometimes I combine multiple actvities to do this, like calisthenics and walking without resting to get my HR. I can sometimes jog in the water but have difficulty with strokes as foot flexion/extension can be very painful.

Try an activity and see how your foot and ankle respond to it. Don't over do it and allow a rest day to see if you have any reactions to it. Do this every other day for 1 week for 3 workouts. You'll know.~~Then week 2 try a different activity and repeat the process. Eventually you'll have an index of what your foot and ankle can do.
    Best to you.
  • michelevhelene
    michelevhelene Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have an ongoing hip problem and Achilles' tendon so I'm very into low impact. There's tons of stuff on Fitness Blender and people have pages of boards on Pinterest.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    Strength and flexibility yes. Cardio, not so much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    If walking doesn't bother either so much, walking is fine. No equipment needed and no training either.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • anyrmca84
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If walking doesn't bother either so much, walking is fine. No equipment needed and no training either.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    As I stated in my post I m having feet issues so I need low impact and to be off of them as much as possible. Thanks but walking isn't much of an option.
  • anyrmca84
    Options
    Depending on the abilities of your ankle and foot and how much weight they can tolerate: strength train, swimming, water jogging, bicycling, Chair exercises, calistheincs, yoga, pilates, tai-chi. What are your fitness goals?

I have same issue. My goal is weight loss and each day work to at least my minimum MHR for 30 minutes. Sometimes I combine multiple actvities to do this, like calisthenics and walking without resting to get my HR. I can sometimes jog in the water but have difficulty with strokes as foot flexion/extension can be very painful.

Try an activity and see how your foot and ankle respond to it. Don't over do it and allow a rest day to see if you have any reactions to it. Do this every other day for 1 week for 3 workouts. You'll know.~~Then week 2 try a different activity and repeat the process. Eventually you'll have an index of what your foot and ankle can do.
    Best to you.

Honestly my main goals are to lose weight and be healthy. There isn't much else to it. Right now walking isn't an option because I need to be off them as much as possible. I already have an index of what my feet and ankles can do and until the doctor figures out what's going on there isn't much I can do on them.
  • anyrmca84
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Depending on how low-impact you need to go, the elliptical works well. I also like to row. Cycling is another good option.

• anyrmca84
    Options
    amyrmca84 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

I need something that requires me be off my feet less than the elliptical. Once I get back to where I can do that stuff than that will be what I do.
  • anyrmca84
    Options
    Mizz_Mo wrote: »
    I have been doing Barre 3 online workouts and love them! They are low to no impact and even have workouts where you just stand using a chair for balance. Bonus, they have 10, 30, 40 and 60 minute workouts so if you are short on time you can still squeeze one in!

Here is the link for the free trial: http://www.barre3.com/onlinefreetrial/ If you do see a charge on your card (I did) - just email onlinesupport@barre3.com and they will reverse it ASAP.

Good luck and hope this helps :-)

I have always been interested in barre classes but always thought they required a bar of some kind. Will look into it.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    As I stated in my post I m having feet issues so I need low impact and to be off of them as much as possible. Thanks but walking isn't much of an option.

Ahh. Having to be off your feet is a totally different thing. (Low impact means low impact, aka not jumping, slamming into the ground, etc, it doesn't usually mean off your feet entirely.)
    Honestly my main goals are to lose weight and be healthy. There isn't much else to it. Right now walking isn't an option because I need to be off them as much as possible. I already have an index of what my feet and ankles can do and until the doctor figures out what's going on there isn't much I can do on them.

You can lose weight through diet alone, no problem. If you like, just set up MFP and follow the calorie target it gives you. If the target is too low, re-run your goals and set a slower rate of loss (like 1 lb a week instead of 2). So this is an option if you can't find an exercise routine that's accessible, enjoyable and doable for you!
  • abenna
    abenna Posts: 14 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Swimming, stretching, yoga, hiking, tennis (gently not competing), corfball,