What more can I do to improve my workout?

Options
Let me give a little background info before I begin. I used to be in pretty good shape and was in the military. I got out and started culinary school and stopped working out. I've gained some weight and want get rid of the weight I gained. I workout 4 times a week for an hour and my schedule is always changing. I also limit my eating while I'm in labs so I don't gain anymore weight. I do cardio, and strength training.. I feel like I don't get enough. Does anyone have any routines they can share that'll boost my workout.

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    There are lots of workouts on DVD, YouTube, etc.! I rarely do any of them, but I do manage to get to the Y, dance and walk in place in front of the television instead of sitting down holding the remote (not saying you do!), and walking my dog a mile twice a day. If you don't have a dog, offer to walk your neighbor's dog. That way you're walking, but not aimlessly. You can do this!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Megansw wrote: »
    Let me give a little background info before I begin. I used to be in pretty good shape and was in the military. I got out and started culinary school and stopped working out. I've gained some weight and want get rid of the weight I gained. I workout 4 times a week for an hour and my schedule is always changing. I also limit my eating while I'm in labs so I don't gain anymore weight. I do cardio, and strength training.. I feel like I don't get enough. Does anyone have any routines they can share that'll boost my workout.

What are your goals? Do you enjoy lifting very much? Perhaps you just need a program.
  • Megansw
    Megansw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are lots of workouts on DVD, YouTube, etc.! I rarely do any of them, but I do manage to get to the Y, dance and walk in place in front of the television instead of sitting down holding the remote (not saying you do!), and walking my dog a mile twice a day. If you don't have a dog, offer to walk your neighbor's dog. That way you're walking, but not aimlessly. You can do this!

I use fitness blender on YouTube, I walk my dog, jog, and my 15lb weights. It's hard to stick to it because I get caught up in school projects and job searching. Excuses I know but I try.
  • Megansw
    Options
    @arditarose I want to be back to the weight I was before I left the military and have the same lean/fit body. I also used to run long distances. I enjoy lifting for the toning. I thought about joining a program but can't find one that I can fit into my budget.
  • arditarose
    Options
    @arditarose I want to be back to the weight I was before I left the military and have the same lean/fit body. I also used to run long distances. I enjoy lifting for the toning. I thought about joining a program but can't find one that I can fit into my budget.

Well..programs are free. Gyms if you don't have a rack and weights at home, are not.
  • Megansw
    Options
    I feel like I have a lot of excuses. Haha I really do try. I completely stopped for over a year and I hate myself for stopping.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I feel like I have a lot of excuses. Haha I really do try. I completely stopped for over a year and I hate myself for stopping.

At one point I stopped too. Things got out of control. Anyway, you're back at it now and that's all that matters.

I don't know much about you so all I can add is that you really need to stick to your deficit to lose fat. If you want to maintain LBM, add a lifting program. If you like cardio-fine, it will allow you to eat a little more/add exercise calories to your day.
  • Megansw
    Options
    @arditarose Well what programs then?
  • arditarose
    Options

Strong Lifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Strong Curves
  • Megansw
    Options
    I'll check these out tonight. Thank so much for your help!! :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

I use fitness blender on YouTube, I walk my dog, jog, and my 15lb weights. It's hard to stick to it because I get caught up in school projects and job searching. Excuses I know but I try.

So stop trying, and start DOING!!! Best of luck to you!
  • arditarose
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'll check these out tonight. Thank so much for your help!! :)

You're welcome. They do require a barbell and free weights, but maybe you're interested in joining a gym or investing in your own. Otherwise, there are body weight routines to do but unfortunately I don't know much about that.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com is a free website with all kinds of cardio & strength training workouts. It has a search feature where you can put in what equipment you want to use, minimum & maximum time to work out, any specific focus body part areas, what type of exercise (cardio, HIIT, strength, yoga, barre, etc).

• HBombaMama
    HBombaMama Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    GiGiBeans wrote: »
    fitnessblender.com is a free website with all kinds of cardio & strength training workouts. It has a search feature where you can put in what equipment you want to use, minimum & maximum time to work out, any specific focus body part areas, what type of exercise (cardio, HIIT, strength, yoga, barre, etc).

Thanks GigiBeans and arditarose for the specific programs and website advice. Sounds like I'm in the same boat. Old ideals, new body. No clue how to get back there. I'll look these up as well!
  • Megansw
    Options
    Fitness blender is pretty awesome. They have so many workouts, they show you how to do each exercise and a calorie counter too.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Fitness blender is pretty awesome. They have so many workouts, they show you how to do each exercise and a calorie counter too.

I looked once. I can't get into it. I don't want to work out at home and they start with these warm ups and I'm like...gahhhh, can I just go sit down yet? And eat cake?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Strong Lifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Strong Curves

This

And are you calorie counting to hit a defecit ?
  • Megansw
    Options
    I'm calorie counting and hitting under my goals but I have to watch my sodium and sugar intake. Which I'm monitoring how much I consume now.