I crave butter. Just plain butter.

Options
It started this year, and it's generally bit of a monthly thing (Yes, in that sense!).

My diet is very healthy, and I eat plenty of good fats, veggies, water, and sugar is a weekend thing really. In moderation.

But then I just crave butter, on it's own. I can eat half a stick sometimes.
Is there something I'm missing? Like a deficiency when I get my period or something?

Does anyone else get random cravings for pure butter?

Replies

• leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    ...Are you deficient in salt or not having enough dairy?
  • cassandralepandaa
    cassandralepandaa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    leahraskie wrote: »

I pretty much refuse to have anything with salt, or with added salt (Soup stock being an exception). I have dairy...maybe twice a week, three times? A glass of milk, or a scoop of Greek yogurt. Or a little cheese?
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What is it about butter that you crave?

Is it the smell/flavor or the mouthfeel?

The main aromatic compounds that give butter its distinctive taste/aroma are diacetyl and acetoin. Does just smelling it "do it" for you?

If it's the mouthfeel you crave, your diet might be low in fat. The "buttery" fatty mouthfeel is very satisfying to most.

If it's not affecting your short/medium/long term goals, I say butter up! :)
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options

I honestly don't get this "salted butter" thing in the US.
    In Europe you'd be hard pressed to find salted butter.
    A completely useless addition if you ask me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I pretty much refuse to have anything with salt, or with added salt (Soup stock being an exception). I have dairy...maybe twice a week, three times? A glass of milk, or a scoop of Greek yogurt. Or a little cheese?

You do realise you need salt?

No idea why you need butter though, sorry...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

The French make salted butter... Don't they?
    I love salted butter, even in baking.
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is any kind of an answer, but I just read somewhere that butter has some less-common nutritional benefits, like K2, which is good for tissue growth and repair and other things. Especially if you crave it at a specific time of the month, maybe it has a nutrient your body wants. You didn't say what you want to do about it, but when I notice something like that about myself, I try to nip recurring cravings in the bud, since I see them as as a kind of addiction and I don't want something like that making choices for me and my body. But if it's not impacting your lipid panels or weight, maybe it's no big deal.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

At the risk of going way off topic- it's a holdover from pre refrigeration. Salt was added to butter as a preservative- in much higher percentages then what is currently found due to refrigeration. It's just part of the food culture now.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Can't stand butter without salt personally and I use alot of butter (can't hit fats without it)

After years of not eating the stuff I craved it alot once I started eating it again. I crave butter sometimes but I always assumed it was the salt causing my cravings, would be interesting to know if it could be something else causing this. Have been known to eat slightly melty butter out the microwave with a spoon. *cringe.
  • Bobbie63
    Bobbie63 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You had me at butter.I switched to it when I was melting margarine and putting it on popcorn. In the old days you could melt margarine. Now, it's water. It ruined the popcorn, so I switched. ps, when I did eat Mcdonalds ice cream sundays, I had to put salt on them.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Odd cravings can sometimes be a sign of anemia, which can happen to women during their period. Might want to have a doctor check your blood levels.

Although I will say I've never heard of butter craving specifically. Anemic people can crave ice and dirt which sounds just as odd.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You do realise you need salt?

No idea why you need butter though, sorry...

you dont need butter, or dairy, in any capacity to be healthy... not sure why one of the other posters suggested that theres such a thing as a dairy deficiency

That being said I craved just plain old peanut butter for a long time, could not get enough of the stuff no matter how much of it I ate.... I think you can be obsessed with any kind of food... I feel like if you just let yourself have a little bit of it every day, eventually you grow bored of it and the obsession will go away...