Anyone here a vegetarian and need to loose weight

Options
lavs21
lavs21 Posts: 11 Member
hello,
I am a vegetarian what that means is no meat none or practically no fish(very occasional tuna in a salad) and I am ok with eating eggs.

Been wondering if you all have any tips for healthy weight loss as a vegetarian. I am well aware of my protein sources - beans/ tofu/ quorn etc... But finding it hard to loose I also feel I keep eating the same foods and maybe too many carbs... I wonder if that could be causing me to go slower with the weight loss- what I mean is I don't see a difference in weight every week... I do see it every alternate week though or every three weeks.

Also would you know if the excerscise calories are to be eaten back? I wonder if I am maybe eating too much!?

Thanks.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    lavs21 wrote: »
    Also would you know if the excerscise calories are to be eaten back? I wonder if I am maybe eating too much!?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

"If you are using MFP to tell you how many calories to eat, you should probably be eating back some portion of your exercise calories.

If you are using an external calculator and then customizing your intake to match that, you should not be eating back your exercise calories."

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight every other week or every third week, you are doing great. Stay focused and you will be fine.
    And it does not matter how many carbs you have. What matters is the number of calories.
    Are you using a scale to weigh your foods?
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm vegetarian too but I don't eat eggs. The general rule seems to be you can eat back 65% od MFP exercise calories - MFP tends to overestimate.

After a strong reluctance to use supplements, I finally caved and bought split pea protein powder. Since then I've been losing more weight and am much less hungry. My protein percentages look healthier too. It's worth giving it a go. I found it really hard to get enough protein without upping my carb percentages before.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad for you when it comes to weight loss. It's all about the calories.

You'll need to open your diary, and share your information to those you want help from.. Weight, age, height, sex, etc..
  • alannaccousar
    alannaccousar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In that case your a pescetarian. You cannot call yourself vegetarian. I'm struggling to lose weight & I don't know why. I don't eat dairy accept eggs.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Another veg-head here! Your profile says you've lost 10kg, which is awesome! I think you're on the right track, just make sure you track your food accurately.

As far as eating back the calories after working out, I usually see if I feel hungry or not. If I'm hungry, I'll eat back some. OR if I want to give myself a treat night or go out to eat or something, those are the days I'll do it since I have more calories to work with.

If you feel like you're eating the same foods over and over, try pinterest. I'm not even kidding, search vegetarian recipes and just sit back and admire all the great food you can now make. I also check out vegetarian and vegan cookbooks from my library, so that's a good resource. Many libraries will also purchase books for you, or do interlibrary loans. So even if they don't have a book you like, ask them. You still may be able to get it. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    malika1976 wrote: »
    Hi I'm vegetarian too but I don't eat eggs. The general rule seems to be you can eat back 65% od MFP exercise calories - MFP tends to overestimate.

After a strong reluctance to use supplements, I finally caved and bought split pea protein powder. Since then I've been losing more weight and am much less hungry. My protein percentages look healthier too. It's worth giving it a go. I found it really hard to get enough protein without upping my carb percentages before.

Protein usually makes a person feel full, which cuts back on food consumption. It's calories in/calories out, how you choose to get there is individual.

That said, I tried split pea protein powder because I'm lactose and soy intolerant, and the pea powder made me break out. I thought it tasted awful too. I'm glad it works for you, though. :)
  • lavs21
    lavs21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone it's great to get all that advice!