1200 calories a day for women

Options

Replies

• gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 but I'm also only 5'2" and down to 131. Eating at 1200 for me is eating at less than a 400 calorie deficit based on my TDEE. I'm losing no more than a pound a week tops on a good week. If I ate a lot of junk I would probably feel like crap on 1200, but I love to cook my own meals and have lots of protein and veggies and always feel satisfied after a meal.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The short time I stuck with 1200 calories/day, I was only successful when I ate a lot of home cooked meals. I was able to eat a good volume of chicken, fish, and veggies... But I did eat at maintenance almost 1-2 days a week, though, so that I could really have what I wanted to eat. This was more sustainable for me than eating 1500 calories a day and it gave me the same results as eating 1500 calories a day.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Another 1,200-cal person here. I'm 5'7" and currently 170. Just turned 54. I find 1,200 to be manageable when I'm paying close attention to what I'm eating and especially portion size (the great benefit of MFP). It's easier in summer, when there are lots of fresh vegetables and fruits around. I could easily live on grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, salads with olives and avocado and cukes, Greek yogurt and blueberries, etc. I'm not a fancy cook, so I'm happy without rich sauces, etc. (Those are more of a problem for eating out.)

The challenge for me is having to be so careful about sweets and bread (my downfalls). For example, my go-to sweet right now is Camino 71% dark chocolate, but 25 grams is over 140 cal, so I can't eat it mindlessly (and the more I eat, the more I want). So 1,200 works fine as long as I'm eating at a kind of "basic" level of health/nutrition, but anything beyond that requires rationing. Like others have said, this is a motivation to exercise -- but since I don't always have time for that, I have to be really careful on the days when I know I can't exercise. Then the exercise days feel like a bit of a spree!
  • ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Another 1,200-cal person here. I'm 5'7" and currently 170. Just turned 54. I find 1,200 to be manageable when I'm paying close attention to what I'm eating and especially portion size (the great benefit of MFP). It's easier in summer, when there are lots of fresh vegetables and fruits around. I could easily live on grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, salads with olives and avocado and cukes, Greek yogurt and blueberries, etc. I'm not a fancy cook, so I'm happy without rich sauces, etc. (Those are more of a problem for eating out.)

The challenge for me is having to be so careful about sweets and bread (my downfalls). For example, my go-to sweet right now is Camino 71% dark chocolate, but 25 grams is over 140 cal, so I can't eat it mindlessly (and the more I eat, the more I want). So 1,200 works fine as long as I'm eating at a kind of "basic" level of health/nutrition, but anything beyond that requires rationing. Like others have said, this is a motivation to exercise -- but since I don't always have time for that, I have to be really careful on the days when I know I can't exercise. Then the exercise days feel like a bit of a spree!

History Girl, On my 1200 target (sometimes I go over to 1300-1500 but that's mostly when I eat out with my kids), I leave room for one indulge at the end of the day, after dinner. It helps satisfy my sweet craving. The indulge is usually 1 Fiber One 90 calorie bar and a cup of decaf sweetened with Stevia. It helps me mentally to kniw that I can have a small treat. Sometimes my treat is a fruit orotein shake. BTW, I turn 48 next month. I'm 5'2 and as of this morning, I'm 126 lbs. My goal is 120 or 115. I'll re access when I get to 120. I've lost over 25 lbs working out and logging EVERYTHING! I LOST ABOUT 1/2 a week. Slow & steady works for me. Good luck
  • ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    I meant to say that I've lost about 1/2 a pound a week. It's been slow but I think it's because of the heavy strength training that I do. So, I'm pretty muscular. I should probably post an updated picture so people will know what eating at 1200 with occasional increases here and there looks like on a 5'2 woman in her 40s. Lol! I'm by no means starving!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 years old, 5'0", and 115 pounds as of this morning, aiming for 110 as my goal. I'm comfortable at 1200, and I'll go below with no problems on an inactive day (this has been one). Just had a partial thyroidectomy, so I'm anticipating some change with how I'll balance things, but I don't intend to start climbing upward.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I know that I look at some of my friends (on here) and read their calorie intakes, I just don't understand how it's possible to eat until 1,200 calories for a woman and remain healthy.
    Do doctors really recommend 1,200 a day for women or is everyone just trying to loose weight fast?

I have to eat 1200 calories or less a day to lose 0.9lbs per week. I've got about 20lbs to lose for Summer, so any slower weight loss than that, e.g 0.5 pounds per week, is too slow & frustrating and ultimately results in giving-in with negligable losses because progress is so slow in relation to the effort i am putting in.

I think 1pound is a perfectly healthy amount to lose per week. Therefore eating only 1200 calories a day cannot be unhealthy, if it correlates with your stats - ie. the reason my calories have to be so low to lose weight is, i believe, because i'm really short: just 5ft1". Current weight is 143 pounds.
  • fantabulous01
    fantabulous01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe it's based on the persons stats. Some women 1200 is perfectly fine in order to create a deficit for weight loss.
  • ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    Ok I just updated my profile. Just a quick snaoshit after hitting the gym earlier, so I'm a but of a mess. As you can see, I'm not starving on 1200 calories. Lol!
  • ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    Snapshot oops.
  • xstevedx
    xstevedx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a 210 lbs male working on shredding my last 10 lbs and im on 2000 callories a day. It's a matter of trial and adjustment, but ive found its extremely important to eat almost only things that are going to both help you reach your goals AND keep you full if you're that restricted.

People can get vicious trying to defend IIFYM which means if it fits your macros then go ahead and eat it cuz overal you'll reach your goal. But that doesn't help the person who's hungry but can't eat enough because they already had cereal or a few cookies or something and it wasn't enough to hold them over. I eat 200 grams of lean protein a day and eat carbs from sources like quinoa and broccoli. I often find myself forcing chicken later in the day because im simply not hungry. Im a month out from competition and most of those "IIFYM" die hards are a month away from having almost the same body composition that they already have.

People will believe and defend something that's easyer for them to follow, but you just cant argue that the best way to reach your fitness goals on the nutrition side of things is to find out exactly what your macros need to be for your goals and give your body the best sources of those nutrients all the time..they absolutely will try lol..
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have on occasion when I find myself going astray from my diet drop down to 1200 for 3 days. I can still meet all my nutrients IF I am very careful. After three days...I am hungry...tired and feeling drained so I go back to my 1500-1600 level.

I will say however...when I had 100lbs to lose it was easier to stay at 1200...mainly because my exercise level was low because of the weight. As I lost weight and exercised more intensely...I needed more food.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Last summer, I was doing 1200 + exercise while marathon training. In hindsight, I'm not sure how I managed it. Netting 1200 even with 300-500 calorie burns daily, I lost about 10-12 pounds over 5 months and somehow didn't run myself into the ground. Now on this second training cycle, I'm netting 1450 + exercise (I usually eat 1800+ total every day), and I'm still losing ~2 lbs a month, and I get to eat more of the foods I like. Works better for me to eat more, but 1200 net was achievable for a time. I can't imagine eating 1200 total though!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    xstevedx wrote: »
    I'm a 210 lbs male working on shredding my last 10 lbs and im on 2000 callories a day. It's a matter of trial and adjustment, but ive found its extremely important to eat almost only things that are going to both help you reach your goals AND keep you full if you're that restricted.

People can get vicious trying to defend IIFYM which means if it fits your macros then go ahead and eat it cuz overal you'll reach your goal. But that doesn't help the person who's hungry but can't eat enough because they already had cereal or a few cookies or something and it wasn't enough to hold them over. I eat 200 grams of lean protein a day and eat carbs from sources like quinoa and broccoli. I often find myself forcing chicken later in the day because im simply not hungry. Im a month out from competition and most of those "IIFYM" die hards are a month away from having almost the same body composition that they already have.

People will believe and defend something that's easyer for them to follow, but you just cant argue that the best way to reach your fitness goals on the nutrition side of things is to find out exactly what your macros need to be for your goals and give your body the best sources of those nutrients all the time..they absolutely will try lol..

I don't think you understand IIFYM...

First you have to hit your macros. It is very difficult to do that if you aren't eating nutrient dense foods. Once you have hit all your nutritional goals, if you then want to eat ice cream, that is ok. You don't get extra credit for choking down more broccoli at the end of the day if you've already hit all your goals.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    I know that I look at some of my friends (on here) and read their calorie intakes, I just don't understand how it's possible to eat until 1,200 calories for a woman and remain healthy.
    Do doctors really recommend 1,200 a day for women or is everyone just trying to loose weight fast?

I have to eat 1200 calories or less a day to lose 0.9lbs per week. I've got about 20lbs to lose for Summer, so any slower weight loss than that, e.g 0.5 pounds per week, is too slow & frustrating and ultimately results in giving-in with negligable losses because progress is so slow in relation to the effort i am putting in.

I think 1pound is a perfectly healthy amount to lose per week. Therefore eating only 1200 calories a day cannot be unhealthy, if it correlates with your stats - ie. the reason my calories have to be so low to lose weight is, i believe, because i'm really short: just 5ft1". Current weight is 143 pounds.

I'm not saying 1200 is inherently unhealthy, it is possible to eat 1200 cals and get the appropriate nutrition, and if you are eating exercise cals back and netting 1200 (as MFP is designed to do) and eating more like 1400 or 1500 cals then yes I think that is a fairly manageable approach. What I'm saying is that 1200 doesn't give you anywhere to go if things do slow down, and can be hard to maintain for the long term.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I view 1200 to be the safe minimum. As soon as it was practical, I upped my calories, first to 1300 and now around 1600.
  • ashleybrooks2244
    ashleybrooks2244 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, 5'4", 141. I've been sticking to 1200 for over a month now (not perfectly, but good enough) and I've never felt deprived. Lost 8 lbs. I eat nutrient dense food, cut out all the unnecessary junk, and watch portion sizes. I also ignore the little voice in my head that tells me I'm hungry when I just ate an hour ago. That voice is what got me in this jam, so she can suck it and chill with a cup of hot tea.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I had a very decadent 1200 day yesterday:
    Breakfast: an egg broken over a small garnet yam (which I microwaved soft then dry-sauteed). Coffee, almond milk and my vitamins.

Lunch: a small handfull of leftover rotini, heated with red beans and mixed with a mixed salad which I chopped small in a food processor and with a pickle tossed in. Then I gave in and had a Snickers bar (160 calories).

Dinner: chicken cutlet, breaded with ground-up Fiber One and a pan sauce made from onion and 5 French fries, deglazed with 1/8 cup of white wine. Weight Watchers snack size ice cream cone for dessert.

Starch at each meal: unheard of for me since December...

8 ounces of fluids and an hour of vigorous walking around the park. This morning, with a little fear, I stepped on the scale and it was at 113.6, about half a pound lower than yesterday!
  • FrancineDesign
    FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal a day too and I'm 20yrs old 5ft 8 tall. Some days I'm really hungry and some days I'm not. If you eat healthy you can eat quite a lot in a day on those calories. Im taking a very aggressive approach. I am also exercising for 40 mins a day and not eating back those calories and i was losing 1-2kg a week. Now it has slowed so i will up my calories maybe every other day to still keep my body guessing so i will still lose weight. As long as your not miserable i think its fine.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal a day too and I'm 20yrs old 5ft 8 tall. Some days I'm really hungry and some days I'm not. If you eat healthy you can eat quite a lot in a day on those calories. Im taking a very aggressive approach. I am also exercising for 40 mins a day and not eating back those calories and i was losing 1-2kg a week. Now it has slowed so i will up my calories maybe every other day to still keep my body guessing so i will still lose weight. As long as your not miserable i think its fine.

1200 cals may indeed be appropriate for some people but a presumably healthy 20 year old who is 5'8 is not one of them.

Why the aggressive approach?