Loosing hope

Options
i did really well for about 6 days and now for the past 4 IVE been messing up and can't seem to get started again :,(

Replies

• avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Well, there is no reason to lose hope. If you could do really well for 6 days you can certainly do really well for 6 days again ... and again ... and again. Just make a mental reset and go. Don't let the occasional cheat day throw you off course. It's gonna happen.
  • christianneworksout
    christianneworksout Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to keep long term consistency though and I don't know why
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Are you generally impatient? Because weight loss does take a long time if you are doing it in a sustainable way. Think about other skills you have and how long it took you to master them. Same with losing weight. It's just not quite as active. It's about making lots of little decisions throughout the day. And maybe committing to working out so many times a week.
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't either, and I don't know your situation but being someone that has had productive periods and non-productive periods since joining MFP, I have some ideas from experience.

First, test your commitment level. Do you log your meals and exercise every day? Do you plan a plan your meals (as opposed to your diet) that directs you toward your goals? Do you set aside time each day for activity or exercise? If you do that, do you allow yourself excuses to opt out of that activity or exercise? Have you identified particular temptations (e.g., chocolate, alcohol, sugar) and taken steps to eliminate them (e.g., not have them around the you)? I'm not suggesting yes or no, I'm just asking. It's hard to change your lifestyle by accident - you have to be intentional.

Second, test your goals. What did you expect to see after 6 days? Did you see it? Were you disappointed because you did not? It is difficult to meet long term goals -- it is so much easier to meet short term goals, one after the other. For example, if you are now running a 15 minute mile and your goal is to run an 8 minute mile, the best way to go is baby steps. First, we're going to run a 14 minute mile. Then 13. And so on. The same applies with weight loss. Instead of saying, "I'm going to lose 30 pounds by Christmas," or whatever, say, "I'm going to lose 5 pounds in June." That's manageable. And even then, if you only lose 3 or 4, well, you've made progress and can make a small adjustment for July.

Third, test your expectations. Nobody is perfect. Everyone (or virtually everyone) cheats and everyone (same) succumbs to temptations once in a while. Give yourself permission and then get right back on plan. It is easy to get frustrated when you go off plan and that's how you lose hope and turn 1 bad day into 4 or more.

These thoughts may be totally irrelevant to your particular situation. I hope it helps.
  • christianneworksout
    christianneworksout Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    cj94404 wrote: »
    Are you generally impatient? Because weight loss does take a long time if you are doing it in a sustainable way. Think about other skills you have and how long it took you to master them. Same with losing weight. It's just not quite as active. It's about making lots of little decisions throughout the day. And maybe committing to working out so many times a week.

This is not about patience of weight loss im upset that I keep loosing interest with my depression
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to keep long term consistency though and I don't know why
    Could be a couple of reasons:
    1. You really aren't that committed to it.
    2. You aren't seeing immediate physical results so you become disappointed.

Hate to tell you that it's going to be more than just a 6 day trek. It may be a 60 day trek or longer to see significant results. That's just how it happens to work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    This is not about patience of weight loss im upset that I keep loosing interest with my depression

I also get depressed alot. Focus on building habits, that way you're more likely to follow your diet/plan because it's just part of your routine. Try logging in advance and pre-prepping/cooking meals so you can just grab a healthy choice instead of a less healthy one when you just don't have the energy to think about it.