I used a scale other then my own, shocked

Options
today I went to bath and beyond for some shopping, saw a digital scale and hopped on it .... It said 150lbs. I'm like this thing has to be wrong so I stood on another one it said I was 149lbs. My scale has been telling I between 142- 145lbs.

So when I got home I put my 8lbs weight on my scale to see if it was accurate and it was it was 8lbs. But the catch is when my mother stood on the scales at bathe and beyond it was accurate with her weight. I did have a jean jacket and a hoodie on but it shouldn't add that much weight.

What's going on?!

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Probably ur clothes, shoes, purse and some water/food weight from what you've consumed during the day. All scales are different The only thing that matters is that the one you normally use tells you what you want it to
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Probably ur clothes, shoes, purse and some water/food weight from what you've consumed during the day. All scales are different The only thing that matters is that the one you normally use tells you what you want it to

I took off my shoes lol and I had a coffee, that's it. 142 to 150 too much of a difference.
  • freewolf49
    freewolf49 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Water weight can cause my weight to vary as much as 10 pounds. Your clothes were also heavy. I check mine with dr. Scale to see if accurate enough.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Eh, if I weighed myself in my clothes in the middle of the day I wouldn't be surprised to be 5 lbs up. That's why I don't do it ha.
  • angellll12
    Options
    I have not seen 150 for almost a year, the highest being 145... 142 on a good day. I am terrified.
  • arditarose
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    I have not seen 150 for almost a year, the highest being 145... 142 on a good day. I am terrified.

Maybe your mom lost weight or she just used the bathroom then.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Wait that doesn't make sense
  • angellll12
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Wait that doesn't make sense

This whole thing doesn't make sense.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You probably had food and/or water in your stomach, hadn't used the bathroom and combine that with your clothes, it's easy to see why the scale was different.

And really, you're talking about a difference of a few lbs. It's not a huge deal. You shouldn't be terrified of anything. Chill out, take a step back and think about it from a logical standpoint. Then, continue doing what you're doing and keep on keeping on.

Don't let a number on the scale determine anything for you.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Are you happy with what you look like? Do your clothes fit? Do you feel good? If yes, then who cares what the scale says. It's a number no more no less.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Are you happy with what you look like? Do your clothes fit? Do you feel good? If yes, then who cares what the scale says. It's a number no more no less.

Totally, this.

• Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    today I went to bath and beyond for some shopping, saw a digital scale and hopped on it .... It said 150lbs. I'm like this thing has to be wrong so I stood on another one it said I was 149lbs. My scale has been telling I between 142- 145lbs.

So when I got home I put my 8lbs weight on my scale to see if it was accurate and it was it was 8lbs. But the catch is when my mother stood on the scales at bathe and beyond it was accurate with her weight. I did have a jean jacket and a hoodie on but it shouldn't add that much weight.

What's going on?!

" It said 150lbs. I'm like this thing has to be wrong so I stood on another one it said I was 149lbs."
    So you know those scales are roughly correct

" I put my 8lbs weight on my scale to see if it was accurate and it was it was 8lbs"
    You know your scale is roughly correct

So both scales are roughly correct
    the variable is your clothes and daily water weight
    Clothes can easily account for more than 5lbs
  • angellll12
    Options
    It matters when your trying to reach a healthy bmi
  • angellll12
    Options
    I just weighed myself after having dinner my scale says 145
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Your sweating the small stuff. All scales are going to be slightly different most of the time. If you freak out over variances in scales, you may need to track your progress in a different manner.
  • arditarose
    Options
    In all fairness though, I tell people not to freak when they get a high scale reading...but I still never feel great when I see it myself. It's not fun. It gives me a jolt even though I know it's probably from water retention or whatever.
  • angellll12
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Your sweating the small stuff. All scales are going to be slightly different most of the time. If you freak out over variances in scales, you may need to track your progress in a different manner.

Three pounds is slightly. 142-150 is one extreme to the other. I was working on being in the 130s soon.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just hope the scales at the store weren't calibrated correctly. ..

OR

I always weigh more on other peoples scales. But then I've never stepped on their scales first thing in the morning, and niggedy :tongue: like I do mine.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself when you got home?

Regardless, even if you hadn't stood on the shop scale, you still weighed 150lbs on the shop scale at that point in time. Just before you stood on it, we're you anxious about your weight? Probably not...all scales are different, your weight fluctuates constantly, and it really isn't a good measure of anything... You are not a number
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I once stood on a scale at my moms house and it said I was 20lbs lighter than my house scale. I'd definitely prefer that number, but if i'm losing, I'm still losing, and the consistency of ONE scale is more important than the difference between two different scales.