The word 'Veggie'

Options

Replies

• Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    the 2 people that don't like it are from england. is there a brit slang word that is similar or something?

now i'm actually curious if its a regional thing!

No we just say the whole word. Vegetables.
    Im from the UK and say veg or veggies
    think it depends on the person and is definately not a nationality thing at all
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "slacks".
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If I'm speaking I say the whole word but I'm a lazy typer so people will just have to live with me not typing the whole word out.
    when I have the kids round for dinner, I say 'veggies' with some enthusiasm coz its hard to get them to eat them - but i always succeed, eventually - i also ask them what veggies they want, so they get a choice :o)
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    well im from england and i am a vegetarian and i don,t mind being called a veggie at all i use the word veg for vegatables infact i never use the full name for anything if i don,t av to lol :laugh: :laugh:
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    How about brekky? Seems to be a UK thing? We don't say it in the states.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I use it all the time. I just don't want to say "vegetables", calling them "veggies" makes them sound cute and inviting. :laugh:
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If that's the biggest thing you have to worry about you're doing grand, calm yourself if you don't like it don't use it but other people are free to I always use veg or veggies.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    i refuse to ask for forgiveness!
    [/quote]

I tried to appologize but my tomato just cuked......
    [/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • stephvaile
    Options
    How about brekky? Seems to be a UK thing? We don't say it in the states.

yes i always say brekky as in ( when my brekky as settled im for a run lol)
  • stephvaile
    Options
    the only words i find offensive are certain swear words (won,t print them) and words that sexually vulgar if u get my meaning and racist words the kind of words that hurt other people by demeaning them or showing them up .
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I haven't laughed so hard in ages. I'll remember to ask my vegetables if they are offended and ask my cucumbers if they are feeling okay today. LOL
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Roast veggies
    Veggie burger
    Stir fried veg
    Mixed veg

Veggie veg veg veg
  • CoffeeJunkieMann
    CoffeeJunkieMann Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't appreciate the shortened version of the word VEGETABLES to VEGGIES. It is demeaning, disrespectful and disgusting. I agree with her

How exactly?

And you are assuming she means vegetables and not vegetarians.

I meant I hate the way people shorten the word vegetables to veggies. Its a horrible word. Why can't they use the full original word?
    Cannot is a full word too :D
    Just Saying
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think veggie is more of a North American contraction. In the UK, we tend to say 'veg'. I do find 'veggie' a bit annoyingly cutesy, kind of like if someone were to say they were buying some 'fruities' instead of 'fruit'. But then I've heard it so often from North American friends that I've got used to it.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am not the entire English population. I am just one person. Personally I have sausages and mashed potato...not bangers and mash. Please don't generalise me.
    frabz-Not-Sure-If-Serious-899491.jpg
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    :noway: what? its just a shortened word? what possible harm will it do if people say it? cant be as bad as YOLO
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    :noway: what? its just a shortened word? what possible harm will it do if people say it? cant be as bad as YOLO

NOTHING is as bad as YOLO.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Roast veggies
    Veggie burger
    Stir fried veg
    Mixed veg

Veggie veg veg veg
    In ye olde Englande we saye Ye Roastede Vegetablese.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for ways to be more respectful to carrots and lettuce.

You win the internet. Lovely quote.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's one of the most insulting abbreviations I've ever heard. If you think about what it meant 20 years ago during the great vegetable segregation act, you wouldn't use it. :huh:
    Bahahah funny.