The word 'Veggie'

Options

Replies

• ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I like to sweet talk my food before I eat it.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I like to sweet talk my food before I eat it.

proof.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm neutral about the word veggie.
    I hate the word tummy. Hate. No grown person should use this word.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't appreciate the shortened version of the word VEGETABLES to VEGGIES. It is demeaning, disrespectful and disgusting. I agree with her

LOL

this is serious.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    oh good lord! i suppose you still say brassiere instead of bra and pantaloons instead of panties? talk about making something out of nothing.

Nope, the OP (being a Brit) wouldn't say panties, she'd say knickers. Or maybe pants. But pants are what guys wear. :drinker:

I dislike the word veggies, mainly because I hear it so often on Food Network I want to slam my head against a wall. I am guilty of saying 'veg' though.

Also, the person who made the big post about the sociological development of the English language? I like your point, but from a purely anthro-linguistic standpoint, English didn't develop until the start of the last millenium. 2000 years is a bit of a stretch.

I'm feeling pedantic today.
  • MagnoliaBliss
    MagnoliaBliss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't appreciate the shortened version of the word VEGETABLES to VEGGIES. It is demeaning, disrespectful and disgusting. I agree with her

I think someone lit the fuses to both your tampons.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The word "veggie" doesn't bother me, but I feel the same way about the non-word "hubby". I find it incredibly obnoxious and somewhat degrading. It doesn't even make sense! The real word is "huSband", not "huBsand", so if ppl insist on butchering a word that means something so wonderful, they should at least do it in a way that makes diminuative sense, like..."huzzy". No, that sounds just as stupid... Just stop altogether. Please. Say "husband".

/rant
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I believe the fruits started it. You don't see them having discriminatory shortened versions of their names. It all makes sense now...
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about general abbreviations that annoy us, I have to agree with things like hubby and preggers.

But the one that grinds my gears most is prego. I mean, PREGO!? Where did the O come from?
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It doesn't not bother me as much as the word 'preggers.' No one who is mature enough to give birth should talk like a child.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options

I meant I hate the way people shorten the word vegetables to veggies. Its a horrible word. Why can't they use the full original word?

um... lots of words get shortened... for example... 'can not' is often shortened to 'can't' when the original full words could as easily be used *winks and smiles*
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    "Veggie Tales" sounds so much better than "Vegetable Tales"
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    As a dues paying member of Tubers United, I'm against the use of the word vegetables altogether. It groups flowers buds, seeds, leaves, buds, stems, shoots, tubers, roots, bulbs, fruits, legumes, and others together, which isn't fair to any one of them and causes people to make sweeping generalizations and perpetuates prejudice. It's hard for me to believe that in this day and age that people would use such a negative and broadly inclusive word so freely.

Shame on all of you.

That was AWESOME! I think I love you! :heart:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    oh good lord! i suppose you still say brassiere instead of bra and pantaloons instead of panties? talk about making something out of nothing.

Nope, the OP (being a Brit) wouldn't say panties, she'd say knickers. Or maybe pants. But pants are what guys wear. :drinker:

I dislike the word veggies, mainly because I hear it so often on Food Network I want to slam my head against a wall. I am guilty of saying 'veg' though.

Also, the person who made the big post about the sociological development of the English language? I like your point, but from a purely anthro-linguistic standpoint, English didn't develop until the start of the last millenium. 2000 years is a bit of a stretch.

I'm feeling pedantic today.

*chuckling*
    my hero!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to use vegetable instead of veggie when ordering food? People look at you like you have three heads.
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As a dues paying member of Tubers United, I'm against the use of the word vegetables altogether. It groups flowers buds, seeds, leaves, buds, stems, shoots, tubers, roots, bulbs, fruits, legumes, and others together, which isn't fair to any one of them and causes people to make sweeping generalizations and perpetuates prejudice. It's hard for me to believe that in this day and age that people would use such a negative and broadly inclusive word so freely.

Shame on all of you.

My hero.
  • mjs3974
    mjs3974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know about veggies but I do know I'm a vagatarian.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Veggie burger sounds better than "vegetable burger". That just sounds like an oxymoron.
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    All this made me LOL.....or maybe I should say Laugh out Loud as to not offend anyone with my abbreviation ;) just kidding but it is really funny
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Roast veggies
    Veggie burger
    Stir fried veg
    Mixed veg

Veggie veg veg veg

:noway: Hey you missed one MIXED VEGGIES! :laugh:

I LOVE VEGGIES...:love: and yes i'm a brit :bigsmile: