The word 'Veggie'

Options

Replies

• rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't appreciate the shortened version of the word VEGETABLES to VEGGIES. It is demeaning, disrespectful and disgusting. I agree with her

I'd just like to apologize to any vegetables I've disrespected by using the colloquial term "veggies". I do hope they forgive me.
    i refuse to ask for forgiveness!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    i refuse to ask for forgiveness!
    [/quote]

I tried to appologize but my tomato just cuked......
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I always say vegetables - veg and veggies sound weird to me.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You don't like veggies but then again you have something called "bangers and mash"? Seems a bit odd to me.....LOL this whole line of thinking is hysterical. Time to get ready for today's 5k......

I am not the entire English population. I am just one person. Personally I have sausages and mashed potato...not bangers and mash. Please don't generalise me.
  • lmfbs
    lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm confused if we're referring to vegetarians or actual vegetables. Either way, no, I don't think it's disrespectful or disgusting or anything of the sort.
  • kingofcrunk
    Options
    Troll alert.

Why that anyone that says anything not deadly serious about weight loss get accused of being a troll? I am a genuine member of mfp, look at my diary. Please lighten up.
  • kingofcrunk
    Options
    I'm confused if we're referring to vegetarians or actual vegetables. Either way, no, I don't think it's disrespectful or disgusting or anything of the sort.

Read the thread. I hate the shortening of the word vegetables to veggies. Its just a horrible word.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    some of you lot should get out more.....
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've seen countless threads lamenting the use of "hubby," "preggers," and "vacay" but this is the first time I have ever seen one about "veggie." I always thought of it as a neutral word you use with kids. It sounds more playful than "vegetables."
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    the 2 people that don't like it are from england. is there a brit slang word that is similar or something?

now i'm actually curious if its a regional thing!

No, I'm a Brit and I say veggies.

Although apparently those who really care about vegetable rights say vegetable rights, not veggie rights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gQFDjDPPHk <-- classic British comedy dunno if it was broadcast in the USA or not
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My husband is Danish, and when we visit his family there and they practice their English, they really struggle to pronounce "vegetables" for some reason. It's interesting.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    the 2 people that don't like it are from england. is there a brit slang word that is similar or something?

No we just say the whole word. Vegetables.

If I'm speaking I say the whole word but I'm a lazy typer so people will just have to live with me not typing the whole word out.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    This thread is soo funny.... and my husband does not eat meat...haha
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

I'm from England. We say veg, veggies, vegetables, vegetarians. Most people do... lol
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Trekkers don't like being called Trekkies, either. Maybe it has something to do with -ie then. I need to talk to a vegetable about that.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Never really thought about it. Sometimes I say veggies and sometimes i say vegetables. But than again sometimes I call my husband a hubby and some people on here hate that.
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am SO with the OP. The word is VEGETABLES.

Don't even get me started on 'nom'

:tongue:
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm from Germany and i don't like shortening words either. No matter which language.
    I don't even short names or use short cuts.
    But if you like it... feel free to use it. ;)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Pedantic much?? LOL Surely, there has to something more important in your life to get worked up about??
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i say veggies when im hvaing my dinner with vegetables, but vegetarians are NOT veggies in my mind

all depends if you dont like the actual work, or the use of it, ie the shortening of 'vegetarian' or 'vegetables'

EDIT - realised you meant the shortening of VEGETABLES to 'veggies'