• stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Roast veggies
    Veggie burger
    Stir fried veg
    Mixed veg

Veggie veg veg veg
    In ye olde Englande we saye Ye Roastede Vegetablese.

in barnsley its taties for potatoes andit can actually be used to refer to a daft person as ur a raight tatie lol
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think veggie is more of a North American contraction. In the UK, we tend to say 'veg'. I do find 'veggie' a bit annoyingly cutesy, kind of like if someone were to say they were buying some 'fruities' instead of 'fruit'. But then I've heard it so often from North American friends that I've got used to it.
    Despite all the people in this thread saying "I'm from the UK and I say 'veggie'"?
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "slacks".

me too! and trousers.ew.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I hate the further condensed version - v8
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

me too! and trousers.ew.

I hate the word sharp when NOT referring to something pointy that can cut you. Like "that guy dresses sharp", or "That is a sharp car"..... around here it is said without the R, and the A drawn out ...."Shaaahhhp."
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    How about brekky? Seems to be a UK thing? We don't say it in the states.

I live in Canada, and my dad has always called it "Brekky". I don't remember him every saying breakfast.

We also say Veggies. When I think the word "Veg" I think it in Jamie Olivers voice. Hes the only person I have heard say it.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think veggie is more of a North American contraction. In the UK, we tend to say 'veg'. I do find 'veggie' a bit annoyingly cutesy, kind of like if someone were to say they were buying some 'fruities' instead of 'fruit'. But then I've heard it so often from North American friends that I've got used to it.
    Despite all the people in this thread saying "I'm from the UK and I say 'veggie'"?
    Yep, we get a lot of North American influence so 'veggie' is more commonly used and accepted here nowadays, especially among the younger generation.
  • opuntia
    Options
    Having said that, in my experience, in the UK, 'veggie' used to always refer to 'vegetarian', and 'veg' to 'vegetables'. So from that angle, even though 'veggie' has broadened in meaning, 'Eat your veggies' still sounds a bit weird!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't appreciate the shortened version of the word VEGETABLES to VEGGIES. It is demeaning, disrespectful and disgusting. I agree with her

I'd just like to apologize to any vegetables I've disrespected by using the colloquial term "veggies". I do hope they forgive me.

Poor vegetables and their dorky little nickname :cry:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    the 2 people that don't like it are from england. is there a brit slang word that is similar or something?

now i'm actually curious if its a regional thing!

Yeah. Gross.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    oh good lord! i suppose you still say brassiere instead of bra and pantaloons instead of panties? talk about making something out of nothing.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This thread should be moved to the chit chat thread. It really has nothing to do with food and nutrition.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    the 2 people that don't like it are from england. is there a brit slang word that is similar or something?

I am English and have no problems with it whatsoever and have never known anyone to have one either - seems to be a rather extreme reaction to shortening the name for an inanimate object.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't appreciate the shortened version of the word VEGETABLES to VEGGIES. It is demeaning, disrespectful and disgusting. I agree with her

How exactly?

And you are assuming she means vegetables and not vegetarians.

I meant I hate the way people shorten the word vegetables to veggies. Its a horrible word. Why can't they use the full original word?
    Cannot is a full word too :D
    Just Saying

LOL definite WIN
    CANNOT is indeed a full word, i do wonder why it does not get the same respect as vegetables
  • opuntia
    Options
    This thread should be moved to the chit chat thread. It really has nothing to do with food and nutrition.

True - it's tongue-in-cheek chit-chat about terminology, not a serious discussion about food. Out of curiosity, do wrongly-placed threads here get moved by mods, or do they just die a natural death?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No we just say the whole word. Vegetables.

Nope - no we don't
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

This may be my favorite phrase of the day. Although, I have to ask, in the rare case that you are actually serious, demeaning to whom?

"Hear me now, I have seen the light!
    They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul!
    Damn you!
    Let the rabbits wear glasses!
    Save our brothers!"
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Ha! And frock and blouse.... :laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I hate the word 'veggie' - does anyone else find it a disgusting word? It repulses me.

Yes, I hate those words.........

Veggie - if you are a vegetarian, say vegetarian. If you eat vegetables, say vegetables.

Brekkie - You eat breakfast, not brekkie. OMG, this one really gets me.

There are others too, but these 2 send me over the edge.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I am American and I can't stand it either.