What am i ding wrong? I really need help on couple of questions.

Options
whatthehellamidoing
whatthehellamidoing Posts: 22 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay I'll try to shorten it, here goes.

I am 26 yr old female, height id 5.3 ft and weight currently is 97 kilos. Till year 2008, I weighed 60 kilos. Then I gained 30 kilos over a period of 6 months because i was going through a very tough breakup and ate like a hippo. Well i have become one :(

So i decided to lose weight back in 2013. I started 1200 cals diet of MFP and lost 4 kgs and then i plateaued. So i tries couple of things. I upped my calories intake. I started exercising. Started doing both in combination. Nothing worked and I gave up in the start of 2015 and till May 1 I weighed 101 kilos.

So i started using mfp again, it gave me 1200 calories. And the same thing has happened, I lost 4 kilos in no time and since then i'm plateauing. You guys can go through my diary to see what I eat. I take more than 8 glasses of water daily. And i try to hit 5000 steps a day goal daily.

Here are few questions:
I did go the nutritionist, and she gave me the diet chart and stuff, i followed it, lost 4 kgs and plateaued. I am not getting this 4 kilos myth? Has anyone else suffered from any such thing and what did you do to get out of it?

I have heard that their are some tests you can take to check what is hindering your normal weight loss. Can you guys tell me which ones?

Also, there is a test which helps to know what foods you are allergic to, can you guys point me to that as well?

I know that everybody is different and things that might work for one may not work for another, but any help is appreciated. I have to attend an event in 4 months and I want to look better, pleaseeeeeeeee any help is appreciated. Any?

Replies

• starfish502015
    starfish502015 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You could try going vegan for a while maybe? That really helped me. Except you have to make sure you get all the nutrients you need because it can be extremely harmful if you don't eat well as a vegan.
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would have thought 1700 calories would have been a good starting point.Each time you plateau,drop a hundred.1200m is far too low to start with.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    May 1? That's only a couple of weeks. I didn't lose a pound until nearly four weeks after I decided to lose weight, and now I'm easily dropping nearly a pound a week. As long as you eat less calories than you burn, it will happen.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    So you've lost close to 9 pounds in two and a half weeks? That's amazing!

Weight loss isn't linear, and I can't check your diary on my phone, so just make sure you're logging everything with 100% accuracy, including using a food scale if need be (measuring cups and eyeballing portions will often make you overeat).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed

A plateau is 6-8 weeks of doing everything right and no scale movement

Weight loss simply isn't linear..scale weight fluctuates with water, hormones, sodium, exercise

See? Black dots are actual scale readings

at3jqbe5ky7m.jpg

Hold your nerve and keep doing what your doing for another 4-6 weeks then assess
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You could try going vegan for a while maybe? That really helped me. Except you have to make sure you get all the nutrients you need because it can be extremely harmful if you don't eat well as a vegan.

Nope

There is no reason to go vegan to lose weight ..in fact there are many fat vegans..it's about calories in and out
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I second what rabbitjb says. If you weigh and log everything you eat and drink and stay under your calorie goal you WILL loose weight. I do think 1200 is a little low. I am 5ft 4 and 67kg. I am aiming for around 63kg. I eat 1600 calories a day. Anything under that and I find it hard to stay under my goal (MFP suggest 1590 but mentally I cant go below 1600 so I set it to 1600 and I stay 10 calories under!) I am averaging losses of between 0.5 and 1lb a week. Some weeks I gain and some weeks I loose. You have to look at the bigger picture. My weight loss chart looks like rabbits too. It's constantly up and down but the fact is, I weigh less today than I did last week, last month and last year.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    So i decided to lose weight back in 2013. I started 1200 cals diet of MFP and lost 4 kgs and then i plateaued.

So i started using mfp again, it gave me 1200 calories. And the same thing has happened, I lost 4 kilos in no time and since then i'm plateauing.

I did go the nutritionist, and she gave me the diet chart and stuff, i followed it, lost 4 kgs and plateaued. I am not getting this 4 kilos myth?

OK, some questions ...

When you say you lost 4 kg and then plateaued, how long did you plateau for before you gave up?

Each time, were you meticulously weighing and logging your food?

• DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Weight doesn't drop off consistently. It moves in fits and starts. A lot of people lose the first bit quickly and then when weight loss slows they give up. Stick with it! It sounds like your mentally programmed to give up now at 4kg. Push past it.
  • whatthehellamidoing
    whatthehellamidoing Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks all for your replies, I really appreciate it.

My diary is open now. I will stay on this for next 4 weeks and check if i plateaued. Actually in the past, after 4 kgs, my weight starts jiggling between 3 numbers. I have watched my diet on and off but I have exercised regularly, 1 hour gym 5 days a week. I always changed my exercise routines. Ive done cardio, weight training, yoga, aerobics, you name it I have tried it. I gt myself a scale last april and everything I eat i measure it before i eat it. My folks think im crazy :pensive: .
    @DKG28 and @Machka9 Thank you, I have always plateaued for a month or long after 4 kg drop. and then I change my routine, I either up my calories, I change my exercise routine.

@Karen_libert and @rabbitjb Thanks My dairy is open now. I had also tried eat more to weigh less routine, after i ate 1200 cals for 4-5 months straight, I followed by eating my TDEE for a month to reset before cutting, I just gained, I never lost.

Can some please also point that which medical tests should i take which might be causing hindrance in my weightloss.

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Unless you are sure you are accurately weighing and logging everything, not overestimating burns, and have been doing this for a few months with no scale movement, I wouldn't even think about possible medical problems yet. I used to think I had a thyroid issue. Truth of the matter is I was just eating too much and when I would try to lose weight I wouldn't stick to it long enough to see any real difference. I bought a food scale and I am now consistently losing something every week. Is it the same every week? No. My first week I lost 5 lbs. that is normal to lose more initially because you are likely losing water weight too. Weight loss isn't linear and you shouldn't expect to lose the exact same every week.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you lose some weight initially, which is normal. Then it slows down, also normal, but you decide "it's not working" and call it quits. You can't "watch you diet on and off." It could also be that you see some weight loss and subconsciously ease up on the watching. You have to eat at a consistent deficit.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories, not enough protein, too many carbs. It sounds like you don't exercise regularly either, so that is something that you can control and change.

Have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns? Talk to a general doctor (GP, PCP, family doctor, internist) first. You might want to ask if it would be appropriate for you to see an endocrinologist.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options

As a vegan I have some issues with this... first I wouldn't really call vegan for health reasons true veganism so much as it is just plant-based dieting.... and its not really necessary to lose weight. Second, the idea that veganism is harmful if you don't "eat well" is totally misleading. ANY type of diet is harmful if you don't "eat well" and get the nutrients you need. Thats not specific to veganism. And its no more challenging to get the correct amount of nutrients as a vegan than it is for a person who eats the standard american diet. Protein/calcium/omega-3 etc etc deficiencies are largely a myth spread by people trying to demonize the vegan diet or are otherwise uneducated about the abundant nutrients found naturally in plant-based foods.

I guess my point is that I wouldn't advocate going vegan as a solution to weight problems...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Your body can also add water weight to repair muscles when you start a new exercise routine. Especially since you're changing exercise whenever you notice this stall after four fantastic kgs dropped, it could explain why some further losses may get temporarily masked on the scale. Mostly I just agree with the advice to be patient, and log all your food accurately
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @DKG28 and @Machka9 Thank you, I have always plateaued for a month or long after 4 kg drop. and then I change my routine, I either up my calories, I change my exercise routine.

Next time, try lowering your calories just slightly + increasing your exercise. Get out there and do something every day ... even if it is just a 30 min walk (100 cals burned).

Also, when you log exercise, estimate low. MFP tends to provide rather high estimates for exercise. Cut about 1/3 off those estimates and you'll likely be closer to reality.

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    No science-based reason to go vegan for weight loss, so as others have suggested, don't take that idea too seriously. Many of us shorter women - yes, I'd put 5 ft 3 in in this category :) (with me), 1200 cals is the norm and we do just fine. There are some threads for and by such women on 1200 cals that will help you. You are doing well...think about three months down the road, not three days. You can do it!!!!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Nope

There is no reason to go vegan to lose weight ..in fact there are many fat vegans..it's about calories in and out

There are many overweight vegans in my family.