Losing weight whilst battling illness?

Options
Anyone else on here trying to lose weight whilst battling illness? I have Lupus and RA and it would be good to hear from others about how you manage diet and exercise.

Replies

• imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Me! I have a severe chronic illness, multi systemic like Lupus is. I'm a wheelchair user, I've lost 130lbs so far :) .. it's difficult but not impossible! You just have to believe you can do it!!
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing! I'm not wheelchair bound (although have been told it's likely in my future) and I've not done as well as you do you must be so prod of yourself. How did you manage it?

I did lose 3stone a few years back at weight watchers but after things got worse for my health it all piled back on. I am going through a pretty good few weeks so have been able to exercise but I know it won't last. When I get a flare I can be stuck in bed for days. Unable to do even the simplest tasks never mind exercise. So it's hard to really chose an activity level on MFP and some days I'm sedentary and others I can be pretty active!
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia and 24/7 vertigo. 99 pounds lost so far! #noexcuses!
  • weetrish1
    weetrish1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have similar to lupus it's an auto immune disease I take steroids which are murder when trying to lose weight. Tried weight watchers but got no where, this app is brilliant only week 1 but I've lost 3lb, which I'm very happy with
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    Is it prednisone you are on? That was a major contributor to my weight gain :( it's very tough to deal with but you are doing great to have lost 3lbs!
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have an auto immune disease (IgA Nephropathy) and a kidney transplant last August. I'm on steroids (prednisone) and immune suppressants. I also go in tomorrow for a major hernia repair. I've 25 lbs so far. It is difficult with prednisone because it makes you feel so hungry. Literally I have to just measure everything out and not let myself eat any more despite feeling hungry.
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    Lady_Grell wrote: »
    I have an auto immune disease (IgA Nephropathy) and a kidney transplant last August. I'm on steroids (prednisone) and immune suppressants. I also go in tomorrow for a major hernia repair. I've 25 lbs so far. It is difficult with prednisone because it makes you feel so hungry. Literally I have to just measure everything out and not let myself eat any more despite feeling hungry.

I remember that feeling. Prednisone hunger!! I was weaned off them 2 years ago. Is it Methotrexate you are on now? I am on that for my arthritis. Thankfully no hunger pains on MTX, just sickness :s

Does anyone on this thread mind if I add you as friends? X
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a friend. I have a rare disease called Alport Syndrome, and I'm almost 15 years out from my kidney transplant. In addition, I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, migraines, parathyroid growths, ibs, and I'm talking to a surgeon on Monday about gallbladder removal.

I have a friend with MS. He manages the symptoms with meditation, so instead of staying in bed all day watching tv when his symptoms flare up, he wakes up three hours early and spend a few hours alone, passing attention to his breathing and clearing his mind and body of stress. He designed himself a diet of whole, healthy foods that help him feel better. He takes no medication, except the kind that helps with meditation, but you'll have to go to Colorado for that.

I wish I had followed his example years ago. I used to be a little resentful that I would always have to take medications, but my path is different, as is yours. I've cleaned up my diet and stopped overeating because I don't want to be in pain anymore. I'm giving up ice cream because I want to feel better (and it's working). I'm becoming mindful enough to recognize the times when I need to set-top and pay attention to myself. When I notice racing thoughts, I concentrate on my breathing, and make room for newer, more positive thoughts. I've started a yoga practice because I want to feel better. My body aches even more when I don't use it. I'm gentler with myself, and I'm gentler with other people.

It's hard. Life is hard. It's a practice, not a spectator sport. I always said my mind was too scattered for meditation and my body was too weak, but when you start small and just choose to do it, ten seconds will turn into "holy cow! This is awesome!"

I don't see myself ever meditating the hours a day, but a couple months ago, I wouldn't have seen myself even attempting any of this. You can do it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Me! I have a severe chronic illness, multi systemic like Lupus is. I'm a wheelchair user, I've lost 130lbs so far :) .. it's difficult but not impossible! You just have to believe you can do it!!

You are incredible. I love stories like this.
  • weetrish1
    weetrish1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes it's prednisone I take.. They are also trying me on a maintaining drug called mycophenolate mofetil, to suppress my immune system.. It is very difficult to try and lose weight as I feel "steroid hungry" all the time! Thankfully (or not) my husband is needing to lose weight too, so we are trying together.. I am more than happy to become friends with you all, please add me xx
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    That's good that you have your husband to help motivate you :) mines a skinny dude!

How is everyone feeling?
  • mrmdm
    mrmdm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good for you guys! For all of us battling serious illnesses this shows that you can do it. Im down over 50 lbs to close to my ideal weight now. Took me 9 months. Im in a wheelchair to move but can stand sometimes but not walk. Ms is tough on me but i cut out junk food, most carbs and alcohol and eat much less. I feel much better and thats the most important. Dave
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I have fibro, pituitary problems (panhypopituitarism/adult HGH deficiency), and several other metabolic diseases.

I just do the best that I can and keep moving. I've lost around 90 pounds and have maintained in that vicinity for a couple of years. I still need to lose 20 more pounds, but my doctors are telling me that this won't be possible. They also told me that I would never weigh less than 240...I am now at 209. :)

I just keep trying and try not to get frustrated by what I cannot do. I rarely have fibro flares anymore...at this point they only seem triggered by extreme stress and extreme heat/cold.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Not quite as serious as some but I am dealing with interstitial cystitis, chronic kidney stones/infections, PTSD, OCD, anxiety, and depression. I am lucky that I have... less severe... versions of IC and my mental illnesses. The IC is the hardest part because it is only partially controlled currently through pain meds, diet, and PT.

I am a bit worried because IC is often found in conjunction with lots of other issues such as fibro, RA, CF, and others... and lately I have been having a lot of issues that could fall under fibro and CF. So a bit scared that my list is going to get longer.
  • NerdyNix
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was officially diagnosed with Fibro also but I can never tell the difference between my lupus, RA and Fibro so I never really bother disclosing the Fibro diagnosis!
    Overlapping conditions are a total nightmare. They are like dominoes, once you get one, they just keep on coming. Dominoes is probably the wrong example but I can't think of another one!!

Everyone on here has done amazingly. It definitely goes to prove that there are no excuses. I was 180lbs when I was first diagnosed with Lupus 5 years ago. I went to weight watchers a few months after the diagnosis and lost 52lbs in 17 weeks. Managed to maintain for about a year but I had a major flare and then the RA kicked in and was put on methotrexate which made me so ill. I got depressed and ended up eating junk and sitting on my backside all day wallowing. Put it all back on. I was back at 180lbs in April. I'm in a better headspace now though. Lost 10lbs so far and I'm determined to get back down to where I got with weight watchers. Think it was 126lb (I'm used to stones not pounds! I was 9st 4lb at my lightest, 13st at my heaviest.)
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    They also told me that I would never weigh less than 240...I am now at 209. :)

That's awesome. Well done
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    weetrish1 wrote: »
    Hi, yes it's prednisone I take.. They are also trying me on a maintaining drug called mycophenolate mofetil, to suppress my immune system.. It is very difficult to try and lose weight as I feel "steroid hungry" all the time! Thankfully (or not) my husband is needing to lose weight too, so we are trying together.. I am more than happy to become friends with you all, please add me xx

I've been on Cellept (mmf) for almost 15 years. Does your doctor plan for you to be on this long term? Start keeping an eye on your iron intake now. It can cause anemia in the long term (I've read the packets that come with my immunosuppressants and they are not meds to be taken lightly), and I am getting Procrit shots for the rest of my life! CICO for weight loss, nutrition for your body!
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have panhypopituitarism (adrenal insufficiency, adult growth hormone deficiency, etc.) and take hydrocortisone and a lot of other meds daily. I have lost 19 pounds since last July. I have a lot more weight to lose to reach my goal. I am happy to see the successes of others on this thread! I have set my goals to have a 2 pound loss per week, but I haven't seen a consistent loss. I am sure that increasing my dosage of growth hormone and a recent illness that required increased daily hydrocortisone intake hasn't helped.

I was measuring my food before and have begun to weigh my food. I have also started to increase my physical activity, which greatly increases my energy level! I seem to manage the steroid hunger by eating protein with fruits or vegetables and drink water throughout the day.

Feel free to add me!
  • sunshine4u229
    sunshine4u229 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I deal with severe chronic migraines, fibromyalgia, pcos, and pmdd... I'm down 30 and still have a ways to go!
    Have you heard about the Spoon theory? If not. Stop what you're doing and Google it, right now.
    It changed my life and helped me manage my good days and not feel so guilty on my bad days.
    I keep a veggie tray loaded up with extras inn ?Baggies so when I'm not feeling well i have pre made healthy snacks. I home make the veggie trays on my good days.
  • sunshine4u229
    sunshine4u229 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh, plus i take Plexus which has helped me go from 1good day every 3 months to 4 good days a WEEK. it's a life changer.

Add me as a friend on here. Spoonies unite!