Share your thoughts/experience

Options
Ive been using the elliptical for 2 weeks now. 4 times a week, 3 times a day & a time span of 1 hour each session of those 3 times. My goal is to lose weight & body fat. I am 22 years old, 5'5" in height & weigh 165. Will my routine that I've said above help me accomplish my goal? By the way I am also eating clean & healthy. Share your thoughts/experience. Thanks!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    mrjvsxiii wrote: »
    Ive been using the elliptical for 2 weeks now. 4 times a week, 3 times a day & a time span of 1 hour each session of those 3 times. My goal is to lose weight & body fat. I am 22 years old, 5'5" in height & weigh 165. Will my routine that I've said above help me accomplish my goal? By the way I am also eating clean & healthy. Share your thoughts/experience. Thanks!

You left out the most relevant part, and that is the number of calories you are eating. That's 98% of the equation. "Clean and healthy" are great, but means nothing if the calorie numbers aren't in check.
  • mrjvsxiii
    mrjvsxiii Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh & when I say I want to lose body fat I'm generally speaking of my lower belly & love handles. My top abdominal doesn't have much fat where I flex I can see a 4 pack
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If you have a bad diet, you can't out train it..
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If you have a bad diet, you can't out train it..
  • mrjvsxiii
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You left out the most relevant part, and that is the number of calories you are eating. That's 98% of the equation. "Clean and healthy" are great, but means nothing if the calorie numbers aren't in check.

My calorie intake is around 1400/day. I burn of about the same while I do the elliptical

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

My calorie intake is around 1400/day. I burn of about the same while I do the elliptical

You don't burn 1400 calories doing the elliptical.

To lose fat you could simply eat 1400 calories per day (assuming you set your activity level correctly with MFP), with food weighed on a food scale and accurately logged-and no exercise at all. Doing an hour of cardio will allow you to eat about an extra 400 calories that day if you are using the MFP NEAT method.

You cannot spot reduce lower belly.
  • cfp1981
    cfp1981 Posts: 29 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    To echo what others have said - get your calories in check, and you cannot spot reduce fat. I'd probably suggest a bit of weight training aswell, but that's just me. Have you lost any weight so far?
  • mrjvsxiii
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

To lose fat you could simply eat 1400 calories per day (assuming you set your activity level correctly with MFP), with food weighed on a food scale and accurately logged-and no exercise at all. Doing an hour of cardio will allow you to eat about an extra 400 calories that day if you are using the MFP NEAT method.

I definitely scale my food that I consume. By the way I don't know much knowledge about fitness & nutrition to achieve my goal on losing belly fat & that is why I'm here asking questions. Therefore I thank you all for sharing your thoughts/experience

• mrjvsxiii
    Options
    cfp1981 wrote: »
    To echo what others have said - get your calories in check, and you cannot spot reduce fat. I'd probably suggest a bit of weight training aswell, but that's just me. Have you lost any weight so far?

Weight training is doing curls with dumbbells? & yes I've lost 15 pounds 2 weeks & barely seeing any progress on losing belly fat but I put a thought in my mind that it takes patience so I'm being patient specially that I barely started this journey/goal for only 2 weeks

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would shorten your elliptical to one 20-minute higher intensity interval session with some strength training exercises. The higher intensity routine is fueled more by fat than low intensity long cardio.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I definitely scale my food that I consume. By the way I don't know much knowledge about fitness & nutrition to achieve my goal on losing belly fat & that is why I'm here asking questions. Therefore I thank you all for sharing your thoughts/experience

It's great that you're weighing food. Many people guess and eyeball and it can stall weight loss. And it's great to ask questions. Just be careful when eating back exercise calories, the estimate you're getting is way too high. An hour on the elliptical won't be more than 400 calories.

Weight training is doing curls with dumbbells? & yes I've lost 15 pounds 2 weeks & barely seeing any progress on losing belly fat but I put a thought in my mind that it takes patience so I'm being patient specially that I barely started this journey/goal for only 2 weeks

Weight training is more than doing curls with dumbbells. It's using weight or resistance to train your entire body, whether with full body workouts or split routines. Some people choose free weights, some do body weight training.

Congrats on the loss. That's a lot of weight in two weeks, and much of it probably came from water. If you have a lot to lose, it may take time before you start seeing your belly go down. Just keep at it. We are all different-for me, I lose first in my belly and last in my hips. Many people are the opposite.
  • mrjvsxiii
    Options

It's great that you're weighing food. Many people guess and eyeball and it can stall weight loss. And it's great to ask questions. Just be careful when eating back exercise calories, the estimate you're getting is way too high. An hour on the elliptical won't be more than 400 calories.

Weight training is more than doing curls with dumbbells. It's using weight or resistance to train your entire body, whether with full body workouts or split routines. Some people choose free weights, some do body weight training.

Congrats on the loss. That's a lot of weight in two weeks, and much of it probably came from water. If you have a lot to lose, it may take time before you start seeing your belly go down. Just keep at it. We are all different-for me, I lose first in my belly and last in my hips. Many people are the opposite.

Thank you! I'm slightly seeing my upper abdomen muscles by doing the routine (eating scaled clean & healthy food. Elliptical exercise 4 times a week, 3 times a day with a time span of an hour each) that I've created thru research & questions but I feel like if I keep it up just to lose my lower belly fat which could take me a very long then wouldn't I end up very very skinny? (I'm 5'5" & currently 160 lbs). The elliptical machine has that calorie counter to keep track on how much is burned during the workout so thats how I got my number. Oh ok so would you recommend P90X or something like that for me to lose lower belly fat & get shred?

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    So quickly to sum up, because I feel like I'm missing something as this sounds a little off to me.

-your 160lbs at the moment, down from 175lbs in two weeks?
    -doing three hours a day on the elliptical 4 times a week?
    - eating 1400 ish calories a day. Is that before you eat back exercise cals or after? (Total or net)?

I know water weight drops the first couple of weeks but that is a lot of weight at your stats in 2 weeks. Have you just started?

Drop some of the elliptical, that is excessive. You will most likely burn out or make your self ill doing so much long term. (Those trackers aren't too reliable on machines btw)

It's true you can't stop reduce, weight training (full body) would be a good idea to maintain muscle while losing, check out the stickies at the top of the page.